PDA

View Full Version : Making an LED

joshone
11-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Hello:

I am testing and messing around trying to make an LED - Success has not been my middle name.

Anyone have any tips, known tutorials, thoughts, or processes for doing this?

For instance:
http://web.mit.edu/jmhunt/www/images/led-photo-2.jpg

mocaw
11-21-2008, 03:59 PM
I would use a constant shader- maybe controlled by an incident for the "light" part of the LED. The glass areas I would comp in over that and control certain brighter areas by blending between, say a phong, and a constant shader. Then you'd produce some "glows" from that in post, of which there are a number of ways (such as just slapping on a linear light transfer mode of the lighter areas).

If you are doing FG I'd render that pass san the glass pass and use the inner LED part as a light- if using conventional lighting then it should be fairly straight forward. I would tend towards using a very wide spot before delving into points and area lights.

If you want a more "dense" looking LED, then you'll want to try out volume controled by gradients etc. before delving into something expensive like dilectrics or SSS.

Just my 2 cents.

joshone
11-21-2008, 06:26 PM
I would use a constant shader- maybe controlled by an incident for the "light" part of the LED. The glass areas I would comp in over that and control certain brighter areas by blending between, say a phong, and a constant shader. Then you'd produce some "glows" from that in post, of which there are a number of ways (such as just slapping on a linear light transfer mode of the lighter areas).

If you are doing FG I'd render that pass san the glass pass and use the inner LED part as a light- if using conventional lighting then it should be fairly straight forward. I would tend towards using a very wide spot before delving into points and area lights.

If you want a more "dense" looking LED, then you'll want to try out volume controled by gradients etc. before delving into something expensive like dilectrics or SSS.

Just my 2 cents.

Your two cents are worth much where I live! I'll experiment with these tips after the current render completes.

Thanks!

zukezuko
11-22-2008, 07:36 AM
i whould make a constand shadet object with values on shader 10 instead of 1
make that object not renderable , shape it to emmit in the right angle and
turn fg on with some bounces
could also paint on the object to have more control on how it emmits

CGTalk Moderation
11-22-2008, 07:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.