PDA

View Full Version : How to make "heat ripple" effect?

xeno
06-16-2003, 05:23 PM
Hello people of the compositing forum! I have a question!
I have this shot of a road and i composited a gap in it where lava is flowing from. But how do i create the ripple effect that eminates from the hot lava? Im using After Effects now. I have tried a little, but i have no idea on where to begin,since i also want it to be animated, the ripple that is.

tnx in advance!

danylyon
06-16-2003, 09:50 PM
Use the "displacement Map" effect. Unfortunatly it's only in the production bundle (as far as I know). So I hope you've got that one.

I used some real fire footage for displacement. Looked totally wicked :thumbsup:

good luck

arvid
06-16-2003, 11:22 PM
'Noise turbulent' from CultEffects is great for creating procedurals to use for displacement to create things such as heatripples :)

xeno
06-17-2003, 12:18 AM
tnx loads! fortunately tnx to my school i indeed am able to use the production bundle, so ill be checkin out the displacement options asap! Tnx again !

beaker
06-17-2003, 12:29 AM
This has been asked about half a dozen times, check some of the other threads on this subject:
http://www.cgtalk.com/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=458052&sortby=&sortorder=

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.