PDA

View Full Version : Jumping Animation

kaizoku123
11-20-2008, 07:13 AM
Just a short animation I did for some practice. Comments and CC please!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enIQvLe3CHE

Here is pass 2 with the limbs offset a bit. The initial posing hasn't been changed yet. still fine tuning:wip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2l9AgEBSfM

Wilson-3d
11-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Hi kaizoku123,

I think you are off to a great start. I would go ahead and switch up that initial pose some. It shows him loosening up and getting into the stance but on a reel when this has animation on both sides that exclamation point pose he starts out with may almost look like a pop as it comes on. You may have a stronger start just twisting the hips chest and head and getting them so they are not in a line, put the hips over one foot and all that good stuff just to start out with a strong pose. Nothing crazy but just one that is similar to what you have but shows weight.

I really like the side step. There is a little pop in the left arm that you may want to get out. Just don't let it go totally straight.

For me the biggest thing is the pretty consistent symmetry once he gets in the air. Come up with a more dynamic pose one he is in the air and don't have his arms doing the same thing on each side. Also for the entire thing have one arm start earlier, so it leaves earlier into the air and comes back down earlier that the second arm. Same thing goes for the feet, have one leave a few frames before the other and then land first. If you have a little of that going on now, I would push it a lot more.

HTH a little. It is pretty close. Nice work.

kaizoku123
11-20-2008, 02:30 PM
Hey Wilson
First of all thanks for taking the time to look at my work. I do agree that his jump is pretty symmetrical, and I'll be going back and offsetting some of the keys. As for the Initial pose, should I start off with him with his weight on the left leg instead and settling into the down pose?

I see the arm pop, thanks for catching that. I'll post up another playblast as soon as I get these fixes in!:wip:

Wilson-3d
11-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Myself, I like him settling into the down pose but think that first pose would add to it if it was more dynamic and you had some contrapposto going on. You know as I was just watching it today I was thinking you could probably add about 6 frames or so when he is at the lowest point. I bet that would add more weight and give the overall timing some more texture. Just a thought. Have a good one.

CGTalk Moderation
11-20-2008, 04:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.