PDA

View Full Version : Is this character ready to be rigged?

GreasyMnky
11-20-2008, 02:16 AM
Hi, I'm new to rigging characters, and I have heard that for smooth deformations, your characters need 2-3 loops at the articulations.

So I made that guy:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b219/greasymonkey666/wip/Wires003.jpg

Is he ready to be rigged? Do I need to add more geometry? If so where? Is there anything wrong with him? Any other suggestions?

stewartjones
11-20-2008, 03:56 AM
Personally I would want more resolution at the shoulders, wrists, elbows, knees and ankles.

However, if you're pretty new to rigging just start with working out how to make a character rig and just parent geometry to the joints. From there you can start thinking about how you are going to bind your character and such. Also, practicing binding on something other than a character could be a good idea so that you start to understand how the edge loops affect the deformation of geometry.

- Stu

archanex
11-20-2008, 05:11 AM
I think it looks fine for your first rig. You're going to learn a lot about edgeloops and topology from doing this, and despite what we tell you, there will always be things you wish you had done differently. I'd say just jump in and take what you can from the experience

Polimeno
11-20-2008, 04:10 PM
maybe you can reshape the "Upleg" and Hips connection,
ajusting the volume to have a more organic look (like the arms), and doing the loops again....

i think will be a painfull skining and a lot of bad deformation if you leave like that.....

( i picked up your image, and made a check to the area )

btw,
your character seems like a Free Rig style
=)

keep going

GreasyMnky
11-20-2008, 07:39 PM
thx for the replies.

I do not plan to skin the character, I will use the material he currently have.

You are right, I might have to redo the hip area as well as adding more loops to the area pointed by stewartjones.

This is only to learn how to rig and animate cartoon biped movement.

I will probably make mistakes, but i will learn from them, then I'll make better attempts.

I'll keep you guys updated.

GreasyMnky
11-23-2008, 09:19 PM
Here is my new topology, better? worse?

I know there are some e-poles around the shoulders and the hips but I haven't figured a way to get rid of them yet without destroying the loops flow...

Any advices on how I could solve that?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b219/greasymonkey666/wip/topo01_wires.jpg

Polimeno
11-24-2008, 01:34 PM
much better,
maybe you can put one or 2 more loops in the foot...

i made a quick Paint Over, hope it helps.

keep it up.

Coyote12
11-24-2008, 07:51 PM
I like the fixes you have done in the pelvis area and it should deform pretty good like that. I would suggest starting on the rig and add edgeloops as you go if you need. Since it does not look like this is for games then you can add things like corrective blendshapes on the shoulders and pelvis so that you get real nice deformations and weighting.

CGTalk Moderation
11-24-2008, 07:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.