PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial: How to make metallic car paint.

Knut
04-30-2002, 05:46 AM
Hi everybody!

I have made a tutorial on how to make metallic car paint in the 3dsmax forum. Please read and give comments and ask questions if you have!

Read and enjoy, if possible.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6980

leigh
05-02-2002, 10:41 PM
Hey there Knut
Thanks for putting that tut together, I don't use Max myself, but I'm sure any Max users who need to make car paint will find it very helpful.
Thanks for your effort :thumbsup:

Knut
05-03-2002, 03:24 AM
Hi, Leigh!

I've just update my tutorial in the above thread with a more pronounced flakey feel. It's great doing this on a forum (never done it before). You get input and new ideas all the time!

PixelPusher
05-06-2002, 09:34 AM
Wow... thats just so simple. Maybe it just looks that way till I try it and pull my hair out in frustration.

I like to get away from using bitmaps though. As for using lakerem.jpg, I used a program called Gradient Theif that click samples a bitmap and makes a simple gradient map. I then go into gradient ramp and build it there. You get the very same effect without relying on a bitmap.

Thats my take anyway. I'd like to see more tut's like this ... THANKS! :thumbsup:

Knut
05-06-2002, 01:12 PM
It's nice that you liked it. One thing that you must be aware of when dealing with procedurals i max: If your object with this material is to move (like a speeding car), the you need to uv map it to lock the procedurals in place. If you don't do that, the maps that have some visible noise or texture will seem to float. The procedurals use world space as default mapping. So when your object drives thrugh world space, then the maps will seem to slide off the object.

Knut

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.