PDA

View Full Version : Rigging Resources

edwardG
11-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Preface:

Looking through the "Tutorials for people who are new to Rigging" thread, I've noticed that it is a little unorganized, so I've decided to start a thread dedicated to point people towards books, videos (DVDs), and web tutorials for information on Rigging. Suggestions that are given will be edited into the top thread to make it easier to find the information you need. I will update this thread as much as I can to keep it current.

The way it will be arranged is by Application > Medium > Resource > Short description of contents & principles. Feel free to post anything you think should be added into this thread (including different applications you would like to see up there).

If a Moderator could sticky this thread, that would be very helpful!

AUTODESK 3D STUDIO MAX

Books

Videos

Web

AUTODESK MAYA

Books

1. The Art of Rigging Volumes 1 - 3 - Good book for general rigging & MELscripting. Teaches no-flip knees, elbows, squash & stretch, muscle systems, corrective Blendshapes, User Interfaces.

2. Stop Staring - Jason Osipa

Videos

1. Farenheit Digital Rigging for Feature Films - Ribbon spine, skin sliding, MELscripting, bendy or Deformable Rigs, User Interfaces.

2. MEL for Character Animators (Gnomon Workshop DVD) - User Interfaces, various MEL scripting techniques to speed up process for animators.

3. Animator Friendly Rigging - By Jason Schleifer.

Web

BLENDER

Books

Videos

Web

SOFTIMAGE/AUTODESK XSI

Books

Videos

Web

CINEMA 4D

Books

Videos

Web

Geuse
11-29-2008, 11:21 PM
I'd add the book (with included cd) "Stop Staring" by Jason Osipa and the 4 video set "Animator Friendly Rigging" by Jason Schleifer to the Maya list. Or is the correct title "Animation Friendly Rigging"? Never got which one's supposed to be the correct title cause I've seen him use both. However something tells me his blog is called "Animation Friendly Rigging". Could this be it? Anyway, excellent recources.

edwardG
12-01-2008, 02:36 PM
I updated them, but could you briefly explain what each one covers so that I can add a blurb after them?

Thanks!

Geuse
12-02-2008, 07:52 AM
No problem, I'd be happy to.
"Stop Staring" delves into the setup of facial rigging. Really thourough and well explored. "Animator Friendly Rigging" deals with setting up advanced controls for a bipedal rig. Including features such as elbow locking and IK/FK match.

Great Work Man!

CGTalk Moderation
12-02-2008, 07:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.