PDA

View Full Version : Autodesk Completes Acquisition of Softimage

randalls
11-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Hi Everyone,

Not sure if you already got this news. Autodesk Completes Acquisition of Softimage.
The article is here: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?id=12022457&siteID=123112

http://www.softimage.com/images/fiji/autodesk.gif

http://www.softimage.com/images/fiji/softimage.gif

November 18, 2008

Dear Autodesk/Softimage Customer,

Autodesk has completed the acquisition of substantially all of the assets of Avid Technology, Inc.'s Softimage business. With the addition of Softimage, Autodesk will be able to offer you more complete and efficient games, film and television pipelines. We're also working on new, real-time interactive 3D technology for runtime applications.

Marc Stevens, former general manager of Softimage, has joined the Autodesk Media & Entertainment management team. Much of the Softimage product team has also joined Autodesk, as well as some key people from sales and marketing. Over the coming months, we will be integrating the Softimage business into Autodesk.

Product Integration
You will still be able to choose your favorite 3D modeling, animation and rendering solutions - whether it is SOFTIMAGE®|XSI®, Autodesk® 3ds Max® or Autodesk Maya® software. We are going to keep developing all three as standalone products, and are going to improve interoperability through the Autodesk® FBX® 3D data exchange solution. Autodesk will also develop and sell SOFTIMAGE®|Face Robot® software, which enables the creation of life-like human facial animation. The SOFTIMAGE®|Cattm character animation system will be integrated into the 3ds Max product line, while the SOFTIMAGE®|Crosswalk solution will be integrated with Autodesk's own interoperability technology.

Branding
The Softimage brand is known and loved in the 3D community. We plan to keep the name in use as part of the Autodesk brand identity. However, there will be some branding modifications as we integrate Softimage products. While there will be no immediate change to the product names, we do intend to make some changes to product branding with the next software releases.

Purchasing and Support
Autodesk is committed to supporting all existing Softimage customers through our combined product offerings, channel partners, worldwide support organizations and consulting businesses. If you are a Softimage customer and have a current support contract, it will be transferred from Avid Technology to Autodesk and will be valid until the original date of expiration. Autodesk will continue to provide you with support services until that date, after which you will be able to renew your contract with Autodesk Services and Support.

The Softimage online store is temporarily offline, in order for us to integrate it with Autodesk's online store. Within a few weeks, we expect to make Softimage products available online for US-based customers. Over time, we plan to add Softimage products to e-stores for all regions where other Autodesk products are sold online.

No changes are currently being made to the sales channels. Autodesk and Softimage channel partners continue to operate under their existing contracts. It is expected that authorizations will be set up no later than February 2009, so that Autodesk channel partners can receive access to Softimage products; and Softimage channel partners interested in becoming Autodesk channel partners can undergo an authorization application process.

Further details are available in a Frequently Asked Questions document and other materials posted at
www.autodesk.com/softimage (http://www.autodesk.com/softimage).

Thank you for your business.

Sincerely,
http://www.softimage.com/images/fiji/marcpetit.gif

Marc Petit
Senior Vice President
Autodesk Media & Entertainment

barbapapa
11-19-2008, 09:21 PM
The Softimage online store is temporarily offline, in order for us to integrate it with Autodesk's online store. Within a few weeks, we expect to make Softimage products available online for US-based customers. Over time, we plan to add Softimage products to e-stores for all regions where other Autodesk products are sold online.

There it goes. The Autodesk customer service for the rest of the world. Over time, expect to be fisted with prices al around the world.

DuttyFoot
11-19-2008, 09:37 PM
The Softimage brand is known and loved in the 3D community. We plan to keep the name in use as part of the Autodesk brand identity

its a good thing they decided to keep the softimage name.

rock
11-19-2008, 11:40 PM
What about the Alias brand name - it's also well known, but Autodesk dismantled it, I think.

erilaz
11-19-2008, 11:47 PM
its a good thing they decided to keep the softimage name.

Although the rest of that paragraph is not promising. :)

It will probably go along the lines of "XSI 2009 with Autodesk FaceRobot"

ThE_JacO
11-19-2008, 11:55 PM
What about the Alias brand name - it's also well known, but Autodesk dismantled it, I think.

They didn't, well not entirely at least.
Maya was famous with its own name, so they kept that, Alias Studio instead was often referred to as just Alias in the field, so it became Autodesk Alias Studio.

For Soft I think the plan is to cull XSI but possibly keep the logo, to avoid destroying a brand with 23 years of history in favour of a recent, and received with mixed feelings, name.

It's more likely to become Autodesk-Softimage or autodesk-Softimage|XSI than it is to become just AD-XSI I think.

misscube
11-20-2008, 12:01 AM
Autodesk made a really good transaction with Softimage but i think that it'll become Autodesk XSI and not sotimage like for Alias...

LucentDreams
11-20-2008, 12:50 AM
For Soft I think the plan is to cull XSI but possibly keep the logo, to avoid destroying a brand with 23 years of history in favour of a recent, and received with mixed feelings, name.

It's more likely to become Autodesk-Softimage or autodesk-Softimage|XSI than it is to become just AD-XSI I think.

Yea I imagine them going with the Softimage name over XSI myself too. Autodesk Softimage|XSI is a little too much of a mouthful for me so I hope they don't do that but I do agree Softimage is the more important name over XSI. I know I hear people still refer to XSI as Softimage in discusssion.

Mic_Ma
11-20-2008, 01:01 AM
There's still Houdini folks! I've been trying it our for a while and its amazing!

SovereignKnight
11-20-2008, 01:23 AM
I hope they get rid of Sweatshirt Guy in the advertising though. That was a stupid idea.

mr Bob
11-20-2008, 02:43 AM
"The sharp downturn of the global economy is substantially impacting our business," said Carl Bass, Autodesk president and CEO.

And we all know what happens when the CEO says this.

mr-doOo
11-20-2008, 09:59 AM
I hope they get rid of Sweatshirt Guy in the advertising though. That was a stupid idea.

well it's already done with XSI7 :wip:

daart
11-20-2008, 10:26 AM
There is one 3D app where this will never happen.

Blender3D. It's getting better and better each year.

It's just a question of time when the rest of 3D software will be bought by the big houses. I see Cinema 3D and Modo being with Apple, Houdini could become Autodesk sometimes in the future.

ZBrush? I don't know, but someone will grab them for sure.

nrgy
11-20-2008, 06:34 PM
There is one 3D app where this will never happen.

Blender3D. It's getting better and better each year.
Please lay off the Kool-Aid.

PiXeL_MoNKeY
11-20-2008, 06:52 PM
It's just a question of time when the rest of 3D software will be bought by the big houses. I see Cinema 3D and Modo being with Apple, Houdini could become Autodesk sometimes in the future.You have to be willing to sell before you can be bought. So if a sompany is willing to sell themselves or their tools to another company it usually means they aren't a healthy company, or the company is changing directions with thier product offerings.

-Eric

Spin99
11-21-2008, 12:58 AM
we do intend to make some changes to product branding with the next software releases.A porcupine? A Gargoyle. A Grasshopper? An elephant. A three headed monkey?

barbapapa
11-21-2008, 01:30 AM
Nah it has to be something agresive, cool and intrepid. there is already a dragon a snake and a wolf (or a fox dunno) so its gotta be a shark and eagle a tiger or maybe a cyborg tiger..... Well the dragon is there so the realm of fantasy could apply aswell. We could even have big foot or nessie!

Steve Green
11-21-2008, 07:12 AM
A Dalek in a TIE Fighter?

A T-Rex in an F-16?

Mic_Ma
11-21-2008, 07:18 AM
Probably one of those spiders that make an X with their legs.

http://macsystems.com/Aug27-2007.jpg

barbapapa
11-21-2008, 05:39 PM
the T Rex on the F 16, sshhhhh they might hear you.!

deepcgi
11-22-2008, 12:51 AM
Does Autodesk own Mental Images, yet?

cresshead
11-22-2008, 01:34 AM

no, when mental images made themselves available for purchase a while back nvidia bought them not Autodesk.

SFDD
11-22-2008, 05:58 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Autodesk were in the offices of Disney right now, trying to get them to part with the Renderman division of Pixar.

Think about it: Why would Autodesk want to keep doing so much for Mental Images by bundling mental ray with everything they sell? They need their own rendering technology to use in all three programs. I predict this will be one of their next acquisitions. It might not be Renderman, but it's going to be something.

Autodesk Vray perhaps?

yenvalmar
11-22-2008, 06:10 PM
the borg metaphors resonate truer every day...

ps, maybe the new logo can be metaballs?

CHRiTTeR
11-22-2008, 07:49 PM
And we all know what happens when the CEO says this.

You mean like what chrysler is doing now?
When you buy a chrysler now and pay 1 us$ extra, you get a free chrysler pt cruiser? :D :scream:

gotsds
11-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Sooo its almost complete... they just need lightwave now.

http://blogs.knoxnews.com/knx/eder/voltron.jpg

thev
11-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Think about it: Why would Autodesk want to keep doing so much for Mental Images by bundling mental ray with everything they sell? They need their own rendering technology to use in all three programs. I predict this will be one of their next acquisitions. It might not be Renderman, but it's going to be something.

Autodesk Vray perhaps?Autodesk has already invested incredible amounts of money and development efforts for mental ray; they are not in a position to even think about abandoning that. Of course, having Gary Yost as CEO for mental images helps to make any change highly unlikely... if you look at linkedin, you will see that other significant figures from Autodesk have worked for mental images at one point or another. mental ray is here to stay, like it or not.

Venkman
11-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Probably one of those spiders that make an X with their legs.

http://macsystems.com/Aug27-2007.jpg

That would be awesome.

CGTalk Moderation
11-24-2008, 02:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.