pbarnes
11-19-2008, 06:13 PM
so i have a proj which i need to do some tracking in,
what i want to know what is better to track with

interlaced or progressive?

thx

aesnakes
11-19-2008, 07:13 PM
My guess would be progressive. Interlaced splits the image into 2 separate Fields upper and lower. then it flickers between the two fields giving the illusion of a progressive frame. This was only necessary in the "old days" when televisions were not powerful enough to display 1 full frame at a time. I feel we should never hear the word interlaced again in this age. Its a major pain in the ummm ....butt and looks terrible.

Again to answer your question I would always use progressive because some of the pixels being tracked will not be there on the upper or lower fields when the image is split between these fields. Especially if you are tracking small markers or elements the information could get lost between fields.

DanBroughton
11-19-2008, 09:43 PM
I disagree about the footage looking worse as the motion conveyed is smoother than with progressive as the frame rate is technically doubled (render out some rolling credits at 25fps progressive and also some interlaced, then watch them on a tv and you will see the difference). in the future we will see 50fps or 60fps HD formats getting used more to reduce the stuttering you get with 25 or 30 fps. I used to work for a production company who always liked the film look that progressive gave you, so would pass everything through a snell & wilcox box to de-interlace the footage but we always had to relay the credits as the stuttering was not exceptable.

Regarding the question, personally I would use what ever the footage was shot in.

Makaze
12-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Deinterlace, then track. Interlacing is teh devil.

Sometimes the tracking software has a setting for interlaced footage, but I have always been told not to use it and deinterlace the footage.
Besides, you need to work on progressive footage for the rest of the steps anyway.

On a sidenote, you can always tweak the CC of the plate for improved tracking.

CGTalk Moderation
12-02-2008, 07:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.