PDA

View Full Version : Modeling Tips needed

monarts
11-19-2008, 04:35 PM
Hello everyone,

I would like to have some clarification in modeling. Please check out the link: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=185&t=591601 In yhis scene we can see the stones spread under the rail very nicely and randomly. I would like to know the technique used behind it. I am using Maya, Max, Modo etc for modeling. Is there any trick in these softwares? Or any other plug ins?
My another doubt is how we can get realistic trees and grass in our scenes? I have tried Maya trees but its making the scenes heavy. Also its not supporting mental ray. We can convert it into polygons but the transparency is making problem when I am trying to get occlusion pass. Is there any particular software that generates trees and grass that are renderable in mental ray? Also I would like to keep the file size optimized. I hope somebody in cgsociety can help me over these issues. Thanks for your valuable time.

Sasho90
12-27-2008, 09:38 PM
To have scattered objects like that, in 3ds Max the best way in my opinion is "scatter". Just make a copy of the ground geometry (the geometry on which the stones will be lying) and scatterer them - go to "create" -> "geometry" -> "compound objects" -> "scatter". Just Hit F1 and type "scatter" in the search field and you'll learn more about this handy tool and how to use it. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
12-27-2008, 09:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.