PDA

View Full Version : Critique my reel

impisheye
11-19-2008, 02:37 AM
I will be graduating in February and I've been putting some of my rigging work up. Here's my website at the moment:

http://cias.rit.edu/~gaf8537/

I'd love any critique you guys have. My goal is to be a technical artist at a games studio. I'm thinking about putting together a dynamics/particle effects reel, but if my rigging reel needs more work I'll focus on that.

thanks for your time

mcernusca
11-19-2008, 06:11 AM
Gwen,

I would put more effort into the presentation. Attention to detail is pretty important in most jobs especially any job with "artist" in the title. Check the line spacing on your reel slates, spell check your resume and if you want to include audio in your reels record it in a semi controlled environment and check the levels / background noise.

As far as the work goes, the rigs look pretty good. May I suggest picking an expressive pose for each character and recording the process of getting to that pose as a way of showing off the rig. Just an idea. Watch the composition as you are recording too, towards the end the model jumps around on screen, gets her head chopped off etc.

The auto rigger video is a bit long. I felt you could have said and shown everything in half the time. Looks like a well put together system, congratulations on that. I would include a quick blurb about it at the end of your rigging reel for sure.

Hope some of this helps you out. Good luck with the job search.

Ps. Your post comes off a little demanding. Also make it easy on people who look to give you feedback, include the full URL so we can click on it.

impisheye
11-19-2008, 07:04 AM
Mihai,
You're right about my post, I'm sorry I came off as so abrasive - that certainly wasn't my intent. This is my first reel and I'm a little nervous about it.

Thank you for the advice. Ill definitely trim down the auto-rigging reel and rework my slates. Also thanks for catching that error on my resume that could have been embarrassing!

edwardG
11-19-2008, 08:01 PM
I think that you are a very capable rigger, but your reel takes way too long to show that.

Here's what I would suggest to you:

1. Put both videos on 1 reel.

2. Limit the time of that reel to 3:00 - 3:30.

3. Put your best work first, because you only have 30 seconds or less of the employers time to really sell them on watching the rest of the reel.

3. Pick a simple soundtrack (usually songs without words works best).

Good luck to you!

impisheye
11-19-2008, 09:45 PM
Thanks Edward,

I was just watching your reel today, your skeleton character cracks me up! It's painful to keep cutting down reels, because I find everything I do terribly interesting ;) But I'll shorten the reel and probably move the bear to the end. Also, I figured if I had to send in a reel on tape/cd I'd lump all my work together, but for the website I was going to have 2-3 short videos so that everything loads faster and is more organized. If that seems strange I'll keep it to one reel.

CGTalk Moderation
11-19-2008, 09:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.