PDA

View Full Version : catch the vase! an exercise

igamble
11-18-2008, 10:42 PM
Hi!
I am attempting to improve my skills, here is a very simple exercise. Any critiques you guys could give would be really awesome.

http://www.vimeo.com/2279242

Thanks in advance!

robcat2075
11-21-2008, 09:12 PM
Wow... this will be a very tough bit of physics to get right. This would be a long haul.

The element that seems most amiss is trying to explain how the vase gets airborne after he initially catches it. His arm motions dont' seem to account for it going up again and again.

Hard to tell from the small size of the render. And impossible to analyze in an unscrubbable vimeo clip.

Then there's all the scurrying around underneath the vase... that's another advanced topic... ouch! The leg stretching seems out of place.

igamble
11-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Hey, thanks!

I was beginning to wonder if no one was responding because it was so good there was nothing to say (haha!) or just too awful...

Anyway, you nailed it on the head, I've been trying to figure out what exactly was off with the vase. Do you have any suggestions? If not I'll keep plugging away at it, I should be able to come up with something...

Thanks again

robcat2075
11-22-2008, 07:47 AM
Hey, thanks!

I was beginning to wonder if no one was responding because it was so good there was nothing to say (haha!) or just too awful...

Have you noticed that here on CGSquawk there's about 1000+ people eager to tell us what they think is wrong with the latest Pixar movie, but ask about a clip that actually needs fixing and suddenly there isn't much interest. :banghead:

Anyway, you nailed it on the head, I've been trying to figure out what exactly was off with the vase. Do you have any suggestions? If not I'll keep plugging away at it, I should be able to come up with something...

Outside of getting some good video reference to study and single frame thru (and you really should) it's tough to give advice. I'm not enough of an animator to tell you "here's what you need to do..." but I have a sense that several things are not moving right.

Pulling off a shot like this would take a lot of work. Just planning out the timing of when his body meets up with the vase flying thru the air seems quite daunting.

Until I had done it myself I wouldn't know for sure what all the solutions are for all the problems.

You might try simplifying it. Just catch it once. And when can nail that bit, try extending the premise.

CGTalk Moderation
11-22-2008, 07:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.