PDA

View Full Version : setting up axis of deform for lattice

ktpr
06-16-2003, 08:01 AM
I'm applying a lattice to an arm to do some very basic posing. I select both the ffdbase and lattice and rotate both to fit the lattice around the arm. However, when i rotate the points I see that the pivot point hasn't been rotated along. Is there anyway to rotate that pivot point or otherwise angle a lattice to deform exactly how I want?

thanks for your time
cheers
ktpr

Levitateme
06-16-2003, 09:05 AM
do you have grouping on for your lattice? i think that will fix it , you just select your group then. im sure you do nm , no idea. sorry

larryvm
06-16-2003, 09:43 AM
if you rotate the lattice points the scale pivot will always in the local axis,

if you want a local axis for the points you can made a cluster for the points you want to modify and rotate and scale the cluster.

ktpr
06-16-2003, 05:38 PM
Turns out its better for me to go with a wrap deformer that is put into position beforehand.

cheers
ktpr

mental
06-16-2003, 05:44 PM
i usually create a default lattice and then place the lattice and its base into a group for better placement. once i get the group into place i add vertices through the set membership tool.

ACFred
06-21-2003, 07:59 AM
You can reposition your lattice after you create it.

First, go into the top part of the lattice and set the Envelope of the lattice to 0. That'll keep your geometry from looking all goofy when you move the base.

That brings us to step 2. You can now scale and translate your lattice base to be oriented to what you're wanting to deform.

Once you're happy with your lattice position, type in your command-line or Script Editor:

lattice -e -latticeReset latticeName;
or, a shortened version,
lattice -e -lr latticeName;

Make sure latticeName is the lattice and not the base.

Then you go back and turn your Evelope back to 1 and you're good to go. Lattice oriented to your object.

I know you've moved on to wrap deformers, but next time you're messing with lattices, give it a go.

Good luck!

Alec

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.