PDA

View Full Version : Scaling Maya's Melvin Rig

Mordin
11-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Hi

I am using melvin's rig (from the book Learning maya 5). I have used this for several characters, but I really want a global scale control to scale the whole thing. I have tried scaling with the' global control' which only scales the controls. I ahve tried grouping the whole thing and scaling the group, but i get some joints scaling at different rates (possibly due to the IK spline and clusters in his back).

Can anyone tell me how to scale the rig keeping its proportions?

Leffler
11-19-2008, 06:00 PM
Hey Danny

Well, what you need to be able to scale is to think like this:

What is allready getting its transform from something else? Ah, things that are smooth binded and constrained.
What things are not getting effected by another object? Ah, things like controllers, ik handles etc

So what you could do is set upp the hierachy in the outliner like this with groups:
controllers (& ik handles) in one group
smooth bound mesh in one group
constrained stuff in one group
joints in one group
(if you have other stuff like distance-nodes or stuff like that, do a folder called "noTransform" or something like that.)

leave all the pivots for these groups at the origo

Then what I like to do is set up a controll, a nurbs curve that I call the "scenePlacer", that has its pivot at the origo and then scale from that point. This controller is not parented to anything

So that would mean this setup with constrains: (the scenePlacer is always the driver)
controllers group gets parent and scale constrains
geometry gets nothing
constrained gets parent and scale
joints get parent and scale

Then finally as an act on cleanliness parent everything and call that group something like "Melvin_ALL" or whatever you like really :D

What might be a pain here is the fact that melvin uses clusters in the back-spline, right? You might need to check or uncheck "relative" for them ... and if you have used any other stuff outside that rig like multiplyDivide-nodes it needs an extra little fix .... but I guess you havenīt so never mind those lines ;)

If nothing goes wrong now, the scenePlacer-controll should be able to scale, rotate and translate your whole character around. Pretty slick.

I have gotten the Melvin-rig to scale earlier so if you want, you can send it to me in an email and I will have a look. My email is o.Leffler@gmail.com

cheers, Otto

CGTalk Moderation
11-19-2008, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.