PDA

View Full Version : Dr Ken Museth :: Artist Profile

PaulHellard
11-17-2008, 11:15 PM
Hey there,

Dr. Ken Museth works at Digital Domain. He helped develop the Cracktastic and Blobtacular technology responsible for the shattering mummies in Mummy 3 and the waterfall in the final scene of Pirates 3. Have a read of this guy's amazing career in and out of CG!

Click, read, comment!

http://features.cgsociety.org//images/plugs/feature/museth_plugb.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/story.php?story_id=4784)

Victorio
11-17-2008, 11:54 PM
Wow! Cool! But I can't read his publications on his site. Where can I find them?

Zeinin
11-18-2008, 12:41 AM
Ken is the man!

BillSpradlin
11-18-2008, 01:39 AM
Ken is indeed the man!

FabioMSilva
11-18-2008, 01:48 AM
awesome stuff. congrats to the Doc

erilaz
11-18-2008, 04:22 AM
When asked if the new right and left brain surroundings has influenced his desire to pursue creative goals, his thought process in working through a question becomes apparent. ďI donít think Iím creative enough that I could eventually be considered an artist. I have a very mathematical brain, a logical brain. I like the stimulus from interacting with creative people. We can communicate, so I usually understand what they are saying, butÖ I donít know.

I'd have to disagree with Ken here. He's already highly creative to have been able to come up with the things he has done. Creativity is across all areas of intelligence, but I think being absorbed in academia for so long he's come to the conclusion he's "just a mathematician" rather than an amazing creative individual as well.

boomji
11-18-2008, 05:16 AM
Nice read.
Thanks.
:thumbsup:

b

PiotrekM
11-18-2008, 05:33 AM
why only big studios get all those fancy toys ;(

BrettSinclair
11-18-2008, 06:01 AM
I always knew they were rocket scientists. They had to be. No normal human being thinks like they do. haha.

Almir
11-18-2008, 06:42 AM
That was a very good read.
thank you.
~sion

Jimstein
11-18-2008, 09:45 AM
Very Cool indeed. Ken Museth was my professor in Scientfic Visualization back at my univerity two years ago. He was also helping out at Digital Domain with the water sim in "The Day After Tomorrow" movie

Venkman
11-18-2008, 05:01 PM
Ken is the man!

Apparently, he thinks you are, too. You're in the article! :)

Giap
11-18-2008, 07:12 PM
Nice article. Just one question doesn't relate to the artist. What is the song of the second page's video. It sounds so good.

Djampa
11-19-2008, 01:00 AM
Doc Ken... Congratulations, wow, what a career..

Doc Ken is an outstanding professional, one of a kind... and lucky is the company for who he works... *lol*

Cheers,

cdx
11-19-2008, 03:19 AM
Amazing! i want break all my models jajaja:applause:

igo3d
11-19-2008, 04:58 AM
Ok. Now I'm depressed.

bt3d
11-19-2008, 02:41 PM
A fantastic read! Congratulations to the doc :)

Atwooki
11-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Wooah!!
I'm surprised at you Martin (Erilaz) ;)

If anybody overtly describes themselves as a technician, engineer, scientist, cook or poker player - in fact anything OTHER than an artist, then let it rest :)
There is (I believe) a dictionary definition for for *what people do* (professionally)
Why not adhere to it? (or does EVERYONE on the planet feel that they have to be considered an ****artist*** for some weird & inane reason?)

Ken is a brilliant and supremely 'in-depth' thinker - his adaptions towards C++ have been remarkable in many ways over the years :)

I'd LOVE to be an engineer myself; but shamefully, I'm not ;)

As a footnote here - maybe for clarification there ought to be a:

Tech/Engineer/Scientist Profile here?

C.

erilaz
11-19-2008, 10:37 PM
Wooah!!
I'm surprised at you Martin (Erilaz) ;)

If anybody overtly describes themselves as a technician, engineer, scientist, cook or poker player - in fact anything OTHER than an artist, then let it rest :)
There is (I believe) a dictionary definition for for *what people do* (professionally)
Why not adhere to it? (or does EVERYONE on the planet feel that they have to be considered an ****artist*** for some weird & inane reason?)

Ken is a brilliant and supremely 'in-depth' thinker - his adaptions towards C++ have been remarkable in many ways over the years :)

As a footnote here - maybe for clarification there ought to be a:

Tech/Engineer/Scientist Profile here?

C.

Hi Chris! :D

Not everyone is an artist, I definately agree with you, however it doesn't lessen their ability to think creatively within their chosen field.

I'm not talking about Ken being an artist, as he clearly states he doesn't have much artistic ability. I'm talking about creativity, which is across all areas of intelligence and which everyone has to a degree. People think of creativity as being an artistic trait, but it isn't exclusive. In fact many scientists, engineers, mathematicians and so forth can have a far greater capacity for creativity than many established artists.

In fact your quote about being ashamed for not being an engineer brings up an equal but opposite problem about intelligence. People who don't do as well in engineering, science, mathematics or other areas of logic and deductive reasoning are often considered to be less intelligent or capable, which we know isn't necessarily true.

People just think differently. I disagree with Ken saying he's not creative, which is a stigma that many people carry around with them. :)

Atwooki
11-20-2008, 01:24 AM
Hi Martin:

In fact your quote about being ashamed for not being an engineer brings up an equal but opposite problem about intelligence.

Did I quote that? (I don't think so!); but never mind; This is certainly not a subject related to intelligence in any way! ;)

I WAS hinting much more in my post at the *possibility* of there being an:

Artists Profile

and a:

Technicians Profile

here on CGTalk - to avoid confusion; space allowing of course, and let them hopefully ride merrily hand-in-hand together as they ought to :)
The difference in topic may seem petty to some beginners & generalists, but overall, I think it makes sense.

EDIT:
The eternal subject of creative V. artist is (as we both well know a WHOLE other long and weary thread - not poignant to this topic!)

Chris

erilaz
11-20-2008, 01:34 AM
Heh... point taken. :)

Oh, you mentioned the shame thing here:

But I can see we'll just end up arguing semantics, so I'll just say we agree, which we do, but I think we're talking about different things! :)

CGTalk Moderation
11-20-2008, 01:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.