PDA

View Full Version : Sketch Up 7

csven
11-17-2008, 10:01 PM
Google has posted a YouTube video discussing the new features in Sketch Up 7.

I was most interested in hearing about the non-modeling feature enhancements; particularly the attribution and access restriction capabilities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azFbj5hK9o4

Ajenyon
11-18-2008, 09:56 AM
While it's great to see Sketchup still being developed, this feels more like a point release to me than a new version. Nothing I can see in V7 really justifies the upgrade fee (if you're using the pro version, of course).

I'm sure architects could make good use of 'Dynamic Components', which seems the only really interesting addition to the application. (Dynamic components are components which have user-defined behaviours based on their position/scale - for example a staircase that adds more steps as you scale it, rather than stretching the existing steps). Layout2 is proably useful for architect-types as well.

For the kind of design / layout / previs that would be useful for most cg artists, this new version doesn't go much past V6. Would have been nice to see some real progress:

>Fixing the myriad display / shadow bugs
>Adding support for larger polycounts (LoD?)
>Adding support for multiple light sources
>Adding basic object animation
>Integration of some of the more useful ruby scripts that have been developed (organic modelling tools, realtime rendering, physics etc.)

Definitely more disappointed than exited by this release.

AJ

R10k
11-18-2008, 10:56 AM
Does Sketchup have a bevel yet?

Ajenyon
11-18-2008, 12:34 PM
Erm...

[checks feature list to make sure]

...Nope.

SketchUp is still an amazing program (and one I use regularly), but after two years-ish of development, I think the SketchUp community was hoping for something a little more... impressive.

AJ

csven
11-18-2008, 03:34 PM
From the video: "You can also take credit for the models which you create and upload in the 3D Warehouse. You can restrict access to those models, if you want, or..."

I guess those things aren't important though. Sorry to bother.

Ajenyon
11-18-2008, 03:43 PM
"You can also take credit for the models which you create and upload in the 3D Warehouse. You can restrict access to those models, if you want

It's a nice little feature, and it's certainly a step forward. If it's groundbreaking feature for you, fantastic - I'm really glad someone is happy with the new release.

For me, I'm rather disappointed - adding access restrictions to an online searchable archive doesn't sound like a whole lot of work for a big company like... google. :D

csven
11-18-2008, 05:37 PM
It's a nice little feature, and it's certainly a step forward. If it's groundbreaking feature for you, fantastic - I'm really glad someone is happy with the new release.

For me, I'm rather disappointed - adding access restrictions to an online searchable archive doesn't sound like a whole lot of work for a big company like... google. :D
In my opinion, it's not about whether it's "a whole lot of work for a big company like... google"; it's that it was done at all by anyone. But then, as you suggest, perhaps I'm the only one interested (aka "happy") that modelers getting credit for and controlling access to their work is a worthwhile (aka "groundbreaking") feature. I keep forgetting that everyone else gives away their 3D files and doesn't care if they get credit for the work. Forgive me.

R10k
11-19-2008, 02:25 AM
Csven, you sound silly trying to make your point with sarcasm. We all get the point- it's a good thing to have. But, Ajenyon's point is a valid one.

csven
11-19-2008, 01:39 PM
Csven, you sound silly trying to make your point with sarcasm. We all get the point- it's a good thing to have. But, Ajenyon's point is a valid one.
You get the point, yet focus on the issues I specifically called out as being besides the point. R10k, you sound myopic and unable to see the bigger picture which apparently validates some pointless sarcasm but not all.

I get it too. And I hope you get your bevel. Undoubtedly the chances are so slim of that happening it's worth expressing genuine concern.

kex
11-19-2008, 03:07 PM
I hope csven this version adds a tool to rotate your Knickers as they seem to be in a twist.

csven
11-19-2008, 05:10 PM
I hope csven this version adds a tool to rotate your Knickers as they seem to be in a twist.
At least I'd be more aware of the full implications. More importantly, are clever comments like yours truly the best people can do? Are CG grunts forever doomed to obsessing over modeling features instead of wondering if the work they've accomplished will be ripe for exploit, and whether or not those issues will be addressed (if not discussed)? I hope not.

kex
11-19-2008, 07:42 PM
It was more of a gentle tap on the aggressive tone that you have been pushing, which for a grown up computer graphics forum is not very pleasant to read. I understand you have a point and you really want to push it; but your not going to get any interesting conversation going if you just stamp down any opinion that does not fall in-line with your own.

R10k
11-20-2008, 12:10 AM
Spot on, kex.

csven
11-20-2008, 04:16 PM
It was more of a gentle tap on the aggressive tone that you have been pushing, which for a grown up computer graphics forum is not very pleasant to read. I understand you have a point and you really want to push it; but your not going to get any interesting conversation going if you just stamp down any opinion that does not fall in-line with your own.
And what opinion is that? That I think these non-modeling features are worth discussing? Guilty as charged. It's kind of why I posted this thread and was specific in which features I believed were worth discussion; all right there in the very first post.

Do I have a point I'm pushing? Only that I think it's worth discussing features which claim to give modelers at least some measure of control over their content (a curious point to feel a need to make on a "grown up computer graphics forum").

Do I have an opinion on those features? No. Nor have I offered any. So it's odd to see you claim I'm trying to "stamp down opinion that does not fall in-line with" my own when I've offered none on these particular features.

As to my "aggressive tone", if a few comments of any perceived tone are enough to silence a professional community on the topic of IP rights, perhaps the community needs to ask itself how that's possible. But at least be fair. When the responses are perceived by me to be sarcastic like: "Does Sketchup have a bevel yet?", and snarky like: "If it's groundbreaking feature for you, fantastic"; or have nothing to do with the features themselves and continue to sound snarky, like: "adding access restrictions to an online searchable archive doesn't sound like a whole lot of work for a big company like... google.:D" maybe there's a bigger issue than just my tone.

Anyway, thanks for the exchange. I may have come off as a bit too aggressive, but I think my points are valid. And I still think these particular non-modeling features are worth grown up discussion.

All the best.

KayosIII
11-21-2008, 11:20 AM
Main feature needed here are some tools to visualise problems with meshes that will export badly - eg zero distance extrudes - or better yet automatically clean these up... Working in Arch Viz - the tools are really nice and easy to use so we get a lot of upstream models done this way. The problem is that the meshes require a lot of work to be usable for us in 3Dstudio max - especially if the model is destined for realtime.

simoncheng
11-22-2008, 03:35 AM
i m a sketchup user too. i used sketchup since version 5.
i love to crossover my work between sketchup and other 3d software.
it is pretty great software to me. easy and userfriendly tool.
hopefully they do something about rendering part in next version.
and support more animation option too.

in here i wish all the best for sketchup 7.

CGTalk Moderation
11-22-2008, 03:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.