PDA

View Full Version : Vista 64 bit works with 32 bit Max or Revit?

Bob27
11-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Hi,

I saw a laptop today which I intended to buy and
it had a windows vista Home Premium 64-bit with SP1 loaded
will that work with my 3dstudio Max 32 bit?
will it work with my Revit 2009 (32 bit)?
will it work with my photoshop and Adobe Premiere (32 bits)?

Please anwer me to know what I should do...

I don't want to buy sth which I can not rip the fruits of... ie using Max and Revit and
other 32 bit softwares I have with it...

Thanks

aglick
11-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Hi Babak,

Yes, 3DSmax 2009 32bit and Revit 2009 32bit both work great in Vista 64.

But my suggestion is to to ahead and use the 64bit versions of MAX and Revit (included on the installation CD's) now that you have a nice 64bit system to work on.

Also Adobe CS4 Photoshop is now a 64bit app and can use all the RAM in your system.
Likewise, PPro and After Effects can also use more than 4GB if you have it and if you are running in Vista 64.

I also strongly advise putting 8GB+ of RAM in the system if at all possible.

;)

Bob27
11-17-2008, 11:45 PM
Thanks for your response,
Now I know that I can use both versions of Max and Revit in my new laptop.

May I ask why you recommend 8gb of ram? Is it going to really improve the rendering time?

One more question: what about the photoshop CS2 that I have, is it going to work in Vista 64?
without photoshop as you know, it is really hard to live!

Also I have Flash 8 which I use a lot for my webdesign, can I use it in Vista 64?
If your replies to both the latest questions is positive, then let me ask a general question:
which application of my 32 bits, in general, can't I use in the 64 bit? (I have Office 2003...)

PS: Please send my regards to Gerry (Geraldine) working at BOXX in Austin!

olson
11-18-2008, 12:01 AM
Thanks for your response,
Now I know that I can use both versions of Max and Revit in my new laptop.

May I ask why you recommend 8gb of ram? Is it going to really improve the rendering time?

One more question: what about the photoshop CS2 that I have, is it going to work in Vista 64?
without photoshop as you know, it is really hard to live!

Also I have Flash 8 which I use a lot for my webdesign, can I use it in Vista 64?
If your replies to both the latest questions is positive, then let me ask a general question:
which application of my 32 bits, in general, can't I use in the 64 bit? (I have Office 2003...)

PS: Please send my regards to Gerry (Geraldine) working at BOXX in Austin!

4GB of memory in Vista is not as usable as you would think. The OS can take as much as 2GB for the GUI and background processes. Since the OS and programs are 64-bit you might as well take advantage with more than 4GB of memory, and memory is really cheap these days. I think that's why many users stick to their XP guns but again memory is cheap so who cares? Not to mention the extra background services and GUI features are actually useful.

Photoshop CS4 running in 64-bit is simply awesome. I put together a 20 photo panorama from my 5D in a fraction of the time it took CS3 in 32-bit to do the same thing. Seeing Photoshop using 10GB of memory is a dream come true. Now if they just would bring After Effects into the 21st century too!

aglick
11-18-2008, 12:13 AM
I'll agree with Luke.

Vista likes to have plenty of RAM - but in return, it will speed up some your most common tasks.

And as always, adding more RAM isn't so much about improving render times (although it may). Rather, having plenty of RAM means that you can work more efficiently with mutliple, simultaneous apps/processes. It will provide a better "seat of the pants" experience for all who need to multitask and work with large files.

Bob27
11-18-2008, 05:02 PM
Thanks BOXXLABS AND Olson for the info.

Now I know I can use most of my 32 bit applications like Photoshop CS2, Flash 8, Adobe Premiere Pro 2 and Office 2003 in the new Vista 64 bit laptop... (If I am wrong please correct me).

olson
11-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks BOXXLABS AND Olson for the info.

Now I know I can use most of my 32 bit applications like Photoshop CS2, Flash 8, Adobe Premiere Pro 2 and Office 2003 in the new Vista 64 bit laptop... (If I am wrong please correct me).

FYI there's a bug with Photoshop CS2 in Vista 64-bit that causes it to lose the activation. Adobe does have a patch for this, but I had to contact their support team directly as the download is not posted on the site, probably for security reasons. Cheers!

CGTalk Moderation
11-18-2008, 05:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.