PDA

View Full Version : FireLizard Test

SplineGod
06-16-2003, 01:47 AM
THIS (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/anims/firelizard_test.avi) is one of those tests that fall into your lap at the last minute. I love that fact that its easy enough in Lightwave to just jump in and get things done when you have almost no time to do it. I had about a day and a half to model, rig and animate 4 test shots and match them to the video I was given.
I used Draw bones in Layout and the ORTHO (http://www.irrationalnumber.com) tools to quickly rig and tweak the lizards. I set up a quick ground plane and used a lighting technique to get the ground plane with the front projected texture to match the background and catch shadows.
I used
BINK (http://www.radgametools.com/bnkmain.htm) to convert the captured video from a 300mb file down to a 3mb file so LW could scroll thru it quickly.
I would load the first lizard and quickly set up selection sets on the bones to allow me to animate it using FK. I would repeat this process on each lizard after they were loaded into the scene. After I was done I would then run MDScan to convert the animation to just displacements. I turned off the bones and left them inside in case I needed to tweak later. Doing this kept the animation process going quickly as I started to get several lizards into the scene.
The nice thing is that with the lizards all MDScanned and the subpatch level down lower I could scrub thru it all very quickly.
I could turn bones back on at anytime, retweak and then rescan.
In the end I was able to get all of this done in less then a day and a half total for all 4 shots. I was very happy with how fast I was able to get this done in Lightwave with no time to really do any setup. I was also very happy with the defomations which came out great using no weight maps. :)

Mike RB
06-16-2003, 02:35 AM
nice job in such a short time. With some texturing on the lizards and desaturation/blur matching it could look really good. Cool.

Mike

Mike RB
06-16-2003, 02:36 AM
Heh, I just thought of somthing, if the forest green, olive green, lime green, and yellow brown green were by choice im sorry. Well done then, its not the colors I would have chosen. :)

Mike

SplineGod
06-16-2003, 02:42 AM
Thanks Mike,
In the Pern series the firelizards and dragons come in Bronze, Green, Blue and maybe some other color. With the time I had there was just no time to surface and they were only interested in the anim test. :)

MorBioS
06-16-2003, 03:22 AM
good job spline !!!

did you use camera tracking program or make manually??

anyway a great work!:thumbsup:

SplineGod
06-16-2003, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by MorBioS
good job spline !!!

did you use camera tracking program or make manually??

anyway a great work!:thumbsup:
Hey Thanks!
No camera tracking. It was all done with FK.
Using selection sets to animate everything really made it go quickly. :)

Jockomo
06-16-2003, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by SplineGod
I was very happy with how fast I was able to get this done in Lightwave with no time to really do any setup. I was also very happy with the defomations which came out great using no weight maps. :)

This is the part where you client now comes to you and says, great, now give me 30 shots, each needs to be produced as quickly as the first.

:)P

SplineGod
06-16-2003, 05:03 AM
Occassionaly you have to do several tests to get work. I made it clear what could be done in the short amount of time and I wont kill myself to do it. :)

SimianLogic
06-16-2003, 06:19 AM
I think all the movements look good. The only thing that bugged me was the blue one. It seems like he leaves for no reason. Just as she's turning around and it has her on the run, he flies off. It might look better if he leaves right before that--when she's waving her little dagger thing at it.

DigiLusionist
06-16-2003, 06:39 AM
Larry, I gotta say that I found this to be the most informative post I've read all year. Thanks. I appreciate how you broke everything down for us.

Cool test, too. I especially like how the green wyvern (or lizard?) flies away at the end. The change in wing flapping and body positioning was nice.

SplineGod
06-16-2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by SimianLogic
I think all the movements look good. The only thing that bugged me was the blue one. It seems like he leaves for no reason. Just as she's turning around and it has her on the run, he flies off. It might look better if he leaves right before that--when she's waving her little dagger thing at it.
I hear ya. I would have loved to have had the time to do a 2nd pass at these. This was just one of four shots too! Talk about doing this by the seat of my pants. :)

SplineGod
06-16-2003, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by DigiLusionist
Larry, I gotta say that I found this to be the most informative post I've read all year. Thanks. I appreciate how you broke everything down for us.

Cool test, too. I especially like how the green wyvern (or lizard?) flies away at the end. The change in wing flapping and body positioning was nice.
Thanks! I had never really tried doig the MDScanning before. I was talking to Rob Powers and he mentioned that he had done that on a Burger King commerical he worked on before and that he had just killed the bones out after he did the MDScan. I decided to just turn the bones off and leave them in because I could easily remove MDPlug and turn the bones back on to tweak the animation if I had the time. This works great. Once you remove the bones from the equation and use just the displacement data is really gives it a kick in the pants.
I could change the subpatch level and get even more speed. The great thing was that it made for a very fast workflow.
Im working on an article for NewtekPro and Im looking at THIS (http://home.nordnet.fr/~phoneikon/DisplacementBaker_Main_001.htm) plugin that the author describes as MDScan on Steroids. Theres a lot of options available use this technique and Im revisiting MDScan and all of the other associated MD plugins.

Kid-Mesh
06-16-2003, 12:35 PM
Excellent job Larry considering the amount of time giving and the tools used, very nice.

MattClary
06-16-2003, 01:25 PM
OK, Larry! Spill the beans if you aren't bound by an NDA! I'm a huge fan of the Dragon Riders series! What do you know?!!! Someone planning to finally put it on film? I heard a couple of years ago it was supposed to happen and it never materialized.

aurora
06-16-2003, 03:47 PM
Here, here, spill it. When you posted info on this project in one of my threads the first thing I thought of was Pern to thanks to the name and colors you used. Is there hopes of a Pern movie of some sorts?!?!?!?!
Have you tried that Displacement Baker yet? I took a look at it but have not tried it myself but am extremely curious about it. Oh and by the way you were right about Ortho, I'm now hooked!

MattClary
06-16-2003, 07:18 PM
bump.

Come on, we're waiting, Larry! :bounce:

SplineGod
06-16-2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by MattClary
bump.

Come on, we're waiting, Larry! :bounce:
To be honest I wasnt told anything other then "we need this done quickly" :)
Ive also read that Anne McCaffrey(sp) has been trying to get something going too. I think it would make a pretty good movie/tv series too. :)

SplineGod
06-16-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by aurora
Here, here, spill it. When you posted info on this project in one of my threads the first thing I thought of was Pern to thanks to the name and colors you used. Is there hopes of a Pern movie of some sorts?!?!?!?!
Have you tried that Displacement Baker yet? I took a look at it but have not tried it myself but am extremely curious about it. Oh and by the way you were right about Ortho, I'm now hooked!
I am looking at Displacement Baker for an article Im working on.
Richard(the author) describes it as MDScan on Steroids. Its inexpensive and looks to be a very cool plugin. I also agree very much about Ortho. Its really hard to go back to using skelegons.
What people dont realize that the only part of skelegons thats easy is drawing them and pulling the joints around. After that theyre a pain trying to get the pitch lined up, they have to be connected to form parent child chains, the bank handle effects the child and screwing with Lightwaves Record Pivot Rotation.
Ortho is indespensible to me now. :)

Brett H.
06-17-2003, 02:42 AM
This is really an awesome show of what LW (and a good artist) can do, and in a short time at that!

My only niggle is that the lady grabs at her head/hair, as if one of the creatures were attacking her there, and at the end she protects her head with both hands. Shouldn't one of the creatures be attacking her head?

Minor crit though, awesome work Larry, and thanks for the explanation of how you managed it.

Brett

SplineGod
06-17-2003, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by Brett H.
This is really an awesome show of what LW (and a good artist) can do, and in a short time at that!

My only niggle is that the lady grabs at her head/hair, as if one of the creatures were attacking her there, and at the end she protects her head with both hands. Shouldn't one of the creatures be attacking her head?

Minor crit though, awesome work Larry, and thanks for the explanation of how you managed it.

Brett
Thanks Brett!
The tools very much effect how much work a person can do.
LW is far from a pushover in the character animation area. :)

KenM
06-17-2003, 04:02 AM
Very cool, Larry! Good luck with this one.:thumbsup:

SplineGod
06-17-2003, 06:11 AM
Thanks Ken,
I have to tell you this was a fun one to work on.
The guy I was working with was really blown away with how fast and easy it was to just block this stuff out and start adding in the overlapping and secondary motions. Being able to quickly and easily create selection sets on the fly reduced the amount of thinking I had to do and maximized the creative part. :)

SplineGod
06-17-2003, 01:40 PM
The other thing that was intersting about this was the lack of story boards. Literally all of this was done on the fly with no preplanning. There just wasnt the time. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.