PDA

View Full Version : Unwrapping: similar objects in one model?

virus887
11-17-2008, 08:26 AM
Hey,

I have a unwrap question, what is the best way to unwrap multiple objects in the same model?

for instance take this model...each wood piece has the same UV unwrap structure...but how is the best way to transfer one UVW data to the other model piece?

In school we learn to unwrap one piece, then delete all the identical pieces and replace them with the unwrapped one...but I have my doubts that this is a correct productionmethod...because you are messing up a 3d model.

Any suggestions? I'm really curious...thaanks a lot :)

http://sven.fraeysweb.be/images/bank.jpg

gsokol
11-26-2008, 07:52 PM
As far as deleting geometry, then copying the unwrapped geometry, that is A-ok. For instance the wooden parts of the bench, get rid of 3 of the 4 pieces, unwrap one of them, then copy and paste that element back, and those pieces will retain the UV coordinates of the original.

stage-gr
11-26-2008, 09:26 PM
As far as deleting geometry, then copying the unwrapped geometry, that is A-ok. For instance the wooden parts of the bench, get rid of 3 of the 4 pieces, unwrap one of them, then copy and paste that element back, and those pieces will retain the UV coordinates of the original.
QFA
you can copy-paste the info of unwrapped polys to others in the UV editor
unwrap one plank, copy it(in the editor). select the other plank, paste it(in the editor). move the new set in its own space if you wish.

Psyk0
11-28-2008, 03:03 PM
Or when you are modeling objects that you know will be identical, use instances of the object instead of copy, when you unwrap/modify one of them they all get updated.

CGTalk Moderation
11-28-2008, 03:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.