PDA

View Full Version : Massive Alien!, Jonas (3D)

Jonas
06-15-2003, 05:49 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/2226/massive_alien_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/2226/massive_alien.jpg)

Hello everyone!

Character created for a personal short film project.

Made using 3dsMax.
Textures made with photoshop.

Any critiques?

/Jonas

Rodi
06-15-2003, 05:51 PM
not working mate!!

Jonas
06-15-2003, 06:15 PM
Try now!

/Jonas

Carbon
06-15-2003, 06:21 PM
His legs look a little too human or something, but really nothing I can say. Good job dude! :applause:

lildragon
06-15-2003, 06:28 PM
Now he has "character" very well done, love everything about it, makes me wonder what kinda short this will be ;) BTW haven't seen you since the PA CHallenge, how've you been? Did you get a chance to enter that pic we all love so much to Expose?

-lild

WheelChairNinja
06-15-2003, 06:34 PM
amazing!
hope we get to see the short :buttrock:

ingramworks
06-15-2003, 06:34 PM
wonderful piece, no critques at all. Front page material :thumbsup:

Aljoker
06-15-2003, 06:35 PM
that's what i call a truble maker ,, :thumbsup:

cool

Yoshua
06-15-2003, 06:36 PM
Great character, looks awesom. :)

He has a very weird face. Hmm, looks good though. :thumbsup:

I love the texturing too.

Im looking forward to the short film, hope all goes well for you.

Thx, keep up the great work.

Jonas
06-15-2003, 06:36 PM
haven't seen you since the PA CHallenge, how've you been? Did you get a chance to enter that pic we all love so much to Expose?

Hello Lildragon!

I've been really busy changing jobs and moving to England...
But I'm back now!
Sadly I haven't sent my PA picture to Expose... I'll buy that book though, seems great!

/Jonas

ed209
06-15-2003, 06:38 PM
Can't wait to see this film project. The character looks great! Love the hands and feet.

ilasolomon
06-15-2003, 06:40 PM
That's really awesome, but the only crit I can say is the shoulders have some minor problems, anatomically (human!) it's not correct(read 'perfect') ...but he's an alien! ;)

lildragon
06-15-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Jonas
Hello Lildragon!

I've been really busy changing jobs and moving to England...
But I'm back now!
Sadly I haven't sent my PA picture to Expose... I'll buy that book though, seems great!

/Jonas

Ah bugger, well it's good you're back and still kicking a$$ with your work, you can still however enter your images (including this one) to the next Expose. Great work man, you probably already noticed you're plugged ;)

salud

graffb
06-15-2003, 06:42 PM
enviable skill!

Smokey
06-15-2003, 06:50 PM
Brilliant image , love everything about it.

ps: I tried to visit your site but I got a dead link ...

Phrace
06-15-2003, 06:53 PM
nice overall feel of this render...nice texturing and character too...
but what I really like about this are his arms resting on that bar...can't imagine it's easy to visualize that...it really looks like his arms are tensed...
well done!

XerC
06-15-2003, 06:54 PM
Really awesome work! Design, Modeling, Lightning and Texturing- everything is damn sophisticated! Keep it up man, I'm looking forward to seeing this short! :airguitar

Greetings,
XerC

sebek27
06-15-2003, 06:59 PM
awesome character design and texturing/lighting :applause:
what modeling style do you use ?

DigiLusionist
06-15-2003, 07:01 PM
Tis is a breathtaking image. The textures and shading are superb, and the character design and positioning is topnotch.

This is reminiscent of Brom, my favorite fantasy artist.

Berserker
06-15-2003, 07:10 PM
reminds me of Pascal Blanche... and i love his work :buttrock:

sad
06-15-2003, 07:16 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

samartin
06-15-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Berserker
reminds me of Pascal Blanche... and i love his work :buttrock:

My thoughts also, v. nice image, just gotta love coloured shadows...

Maybe his head's a little too small IMHO or maybe the body too large ?!?!?!

Technofreak
06-15-2003, 07:36 PM
nice pic....rather than blowing sunshine up yer butt, ill give u some crit....
try experimenting with his proportions to break the human look,
slap on some lattices and stretch the legs or arms out or somethin.....

cheers, :thumbsup:

Silver Sliver
06-15-2003, 07:37 PM
Amazing! Five star for con concept and modeling :applause:

Solesurvivor
06-15-2003, 07:44 PM
awesome, he looks kick ass:thumbsup:

unclebob
06-15-2003, 07:55 PM
I like the image. My first impression when I saw it was a teenage alien, on summer break from school waiting for his friends to come by and hang out. Then again, it could be a lack of sleep and working midnight to 8am.

Anyhoo... I think the whole image is impressive. good job.

bob

Pixalkiller
06-15-2003, 08:18 PM
Looks like something out of Dark Sun - very nice........

mudgift
06-15-2003, 09:02 PM
:beer: :beer: :applause: :applause:

really too hot ...some "new ways' of the ninja trip !!! cool

zzzrByte
06-15-2003, 09:04 PM
Great work!

I know it may sound silly asking about such a small aspect of such an amazing work, but how did you achieve that wall texture? I love it!

erilaz
06-15-2003, 09:15 PM
Exceptional artwork. The pose is great.:D

Soulstorm
06-15-2003, 09:47 PM
awesome stuff dude. apart from most other fictional characters, this one looks like it could actually exist, except for the eyes being too much on the side, it would be very unpractical if he was to engage in battle (cause he looks like a fighter). anyways. good job man, i know i would not be able to make something like this
:thumbsup:

Gamoron
06-15-2003, 09:51 PM
Very very cool indeed. Love it.

hanzo
06-15-2003, 09:54 PM
;) great man!

McSpirit
06-15-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Soulstorm
except for the eyes being too much on the side, it would be very unpractical if he was to engage in battle (cause he looks like a fighter:

Yeahh that's a great point.. all preditor animals have their eyes in the center of the face. Else they wouldnt be able to calc. distance.

Well As said in the posts before me... Great job man really organic :bounce:

jonaz.dk
06-15-2003, 10:36 PM
way kuul.. jonaz.se :wavey: ;)

mm... short film project.. looks like alot of work in that quality..

shaangfx
06-15-2003, 10:52 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bowdown: :banghead: so good!!!!!!!!!!!

mage111
06-15-2003, 10:58 PM
man, dudes just chillin aint he?

wonderful work man :-). i especially like the way his head is tilting up into the sun just soakin it all in

great piece cant wait to see more with this character :-)

rv-el
06-15-2003, 11:29 PM
is one of his pant legs supposed to be longer than the other? his left one seems a LOT longer since it goes past the knee and the leg is also bent

Joebount
06-15-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by McSpirit
Yeahh that's a great point.. all preditor animals have their eyes in the center of the face. Else they wouldnt be able to calc. distance.

Well As said in the posts before me... Great job man really organic :bounce:
Hum, eagles, sharks ? :P

Anyway, really nice pic, I love the pose, really readable, good mood !

Just the shoulder that looks a bit strange, except that, first class work ! :thumbsup:

Aose
06-15-2003, 11:54 PM
Your work is very excellent.That light feels very attractive sense of vision.

StefanA
06-16-2003, 12:00 AM
Nice!! good to see that you are still kicking it! Drop me an e-mail and tell me what's going on dude!

laters!

.stefan andersson

Katachi
06-16-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Carbon
His legs look a little too human

Wow, you only have 3 toes??? :D

Great job though I have to say that the shoulders are really a bit odd. But hey, it´s an alien and anatomy might vary, so great work. This guy really has character!:buttrock:

S_3D_A
06-16-2003, 12:29 AM
Looks like this guy can really kick some arse....not crits from me.

SIGIL
06-16-2003, 01:15 AM
http://web.tiscali.it/no-redirect-tiscali/ffantasy/Brom/Anarchy.jpg

This is my only critism................. :shrug:

Just as well though the character design is original and very cool. The composition was just a bit too reminiscent of the above piece to overlook.

SIGIL
06-16-2003, 01:17 AM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:avd79qlt1YkC:web.tiscali.it/ffantasy/Brom/Anarchy.jpg

oOps!

saltank
06-16-2003, 01:28 AM
Awesome modelling :buttrock:

Goro
06-16-2003, 01:30 AM
Wow! Amazing Character Design and Modeling!!
Looking forward to your short film!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Craneb
06-16-2003, 01:47 AM
Nice exotic look,area and of course the character.well done.:beer:

Corn Dog
06-16-2003, 01:56 AM
How about a tail on him? cause I agree with legs looking a little humanish. Maybe some funky shinbone splints or something.

Blackhorse
06-16-2003, 02:24 AM
oh that's an amazing cool man!
I agree with what they said, the style of the leg is a little out of the style of the whole body.

Aeroplane
06-16-2003, 04:14 AM
I have nothing to say about your work..
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

cgjie
06-16-2003, 04:16 AM
amazing character!
I would like to enjoy more render about this cool guy!
:beer: :thumbsup:

SpaceTik
06-16-2003, 04:28 AM
Now that's how I would imagine an alien to look if ever we run into one in the distant planet! very tight, love the whole atmos, looks like it's going to move if you stare at it long enuff!!

he kinda looks relaxed but ready to pounce at the slightest disturbance.
very well done. thanx for posting dude!

Stahlberg
06-16-2003, 04:28 AM
I love it! Damn you're growing better every time I see something from you! So you got a job in England now? You used to be in California, right?

FatherGlory
06-16-2003, 04:30 AM
Nice Render. Its has a very Brom style quality to it. :thumbsup:

SpaceTik
06-16-2003, 05:43 AM
Now this is not a crit, but I would love to see the posture a little exaggerated by that I mean his right hips pushing out a little more to the left and his left foot pushing off the wall and a lot higher? at the moment he looks like he could be standing like this even without a wall and could be ballancing on one foot.

I've attached an image, hope im not being rude for messing with your image dude.
1copy.jpg

SpaceTik
06-16-2003, 05:45 AM
hmm... didn't work oh well.

eho
06-16-2003, 05:55 AM
wow, that's awsome dude. you're really talented. can you post a URL where we could keep track of the short? it would be awsome to watch you progress along!

SpaceTik
06-16-2003, 05:58 AM
1copy2.jpg

can someone tell me how to attach a file if this doesnt work? i am html incapable :)

Xaint
06-16-2003, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by erilaz
Exceptional artwork. The pose is great.:D

Ahem... The pose has a major problem, the right arm cannot be raised so high without some twist. So maybe you can, but with an uncomfort.

Otherwise, great, with a Pascal touch.

erikals
06-16-2003, 07:31 AM
Beautiful work.
The way the pants fold on his left leg seems a little incorrect, but it's a beautiful picture. Very nice.
Art! :arteest:

Erik

SpaceTik
06-16-2003, 07:50 AM
I just noticed something, the pants length is much longer on the guys left leg then the right leg! or is it my imagination??

haslingerDesign
06-16-2003, 08:09 AM
wow....reminds me of the game outcast...oh the good old times when playing pc games was just ok without having bad conscience....nice flair therefor

Greets&regeards

]gRe[

p.S. The head is very expressive but hope the eyes aren`t too discreet. A thin brown leahter head band perhaps would look cool, dunno.
Very very cool character!

rrobert
06-16-2003, 08:46 AM
hmm.. Love your work.. How did you manage that beatifull lightning? By using advanced lightning? Please tell me...

Great :buttrock:

OZ
06-16-2003, 08:48 AM
Splendid!....i love the design..the colors....and the image mood in general....i like it because it looks so 3d but with a strong 2d illustration feeling....GREAT!:bounce:

Askhanir
06-16-2003, 08:51 AM
The pose is excellent !

Great lights and colors ! :applause:

Jonas
06-16-2003, 09:24 AM
Wow... That's a lot of replies!
Thanks every one!
I will do something about the shoulders, they are really quickly skinned right now, and that’s why they look a bit strange.

And I'll try to get a site up and working, I just need to find a good provider first. Anyone have some that you can recommend?

Lildragon: I definitely try to get an image into the next Expose!

Stahlberg: Thanks a lot!
And no, I moved here from Sweden 3 months ago, never been to California. So when are we going to see something new from you?!

Straightmark: Thanks. Yes I use the Light tracer under advanced lightning in max.

SIGIL: Actually the main inspiration (for the pose) came from a sketch by Ian McCaig in ”The Art of Star Wars Episode 2" book. Although I love Brom's work I haven't seen that image before...

Cheers,
Jonas

BunnyBunny
06-16-2003, 09:43 AM
I like it:beer:

Stahlberg
06-16-2003, 10:14 AM
Sorry I was thinking of another swede with a similar last name, my bad. So where do you work?

Me? I've nothing to show, maybe next month... :)

catbert
06-16-2003, 11:16 AM
omg! it reminds of that farscape episode - err.... i think it was episode... yes, 2x22 or so and 3x01 - with that doctor dude. remember? he has that red mask?

mimosa
06-16-2003, 12:20 PM
SO GREAT~~!!!
I must put a jerk in

lildragon
06-16-2003, 12:43 PM
I think it's just fine the way it is, no-one knows what an alien really looks like, hell they can be hybrids of us humans, who knows :shrug:

Splendid work Jonas, oh btw can you post your PA character in a new thread so we can get that up in the Gallery? I don't think many new members have seen it. Also make sure to show that kicka$$ wireframe. Send me a pm with the link to the thread when/if you start it.

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Excellent work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_june03.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com so I can send you the award .psd file

salud

PureFire
06-16-2003, 12:44 PM
reminds me of something from star trek :D...very kewl

McSpirit
06-16-2003, 01:05 PM
congrats with the award :bounce:

giantrobot
06-16-2003, 01:21 PM
Very good!

I would love to have seen a more dynamic camera angle, but this one os really good for allowing us to see the sucker.

For me, the lighting and textures are what really look best. Are you using Brazil or just the Lightracer in Max for rendering? It looks great.

If you have any interest, I am sure folks would love to see some of your textures or wireframes. :)

In addition, a close-up of the face would be cool too. I would love to see some of the finer work that you did there.

GREAT JOB!

pascal_blanche
06-16-2003, 01:57 PM
pure style, pure brom(with a little corben's touch maybe ;)), pure art, you really got me with one jonas! niiice work!

avalon
06-16-2003, 02:43 PM
What's the matter with the head:applause:

JonasNoell
06-16-2003, 05:22 PM
That's a very sweet image! Really nicely modelled! I don't wanna be a pain in the and I don't know if it was already mentioned, but somehow I have a problem with the render itself. It's somehow too contrastful and maybe a bit too colorful also the background seems too bumpy to me, but well maybe it's just me. Anyway really awesome image! :thumbsup:

Cheers
Jonas (, too btw :bounce: )

Jonas
06-16-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by pascal blanché
pure style, pure brom(with a little corben's touch maybe ;)), pure art, you really got me with one jonas! niiice work!

Thanks Pascal!
Btw, when are those cg model kits coming? soon I hope!

Head Wire Frame (http://www.hyperjump.de/wire.gif)

Cheers,
Jonas

Rivendale
06-16-2003, 07:40 PM
Hey Jonas, what is up!
Very nice character and render, I'm also looking forward to seeing this short!

Btw- did you hear what happened to Oblivion? Seems like you got out at just the right time!;) Hope things are going well over there in England.

later, Micke Lagnecrantz

Aljoker
06-16-2003, 10:17 PM
hi jonas ,,

how long it takes you to finish the model and the texture ???

magebane
06-16-2003, 10:25 PM
Great work man, it is reminiscent of some of the artwork I've seen by Brom. Except his stuff is more undead and less alien. :)

You Rock man!!!

cgjie
06-17-2003, 05:16 AM
cool work.

...his head is wonderful,but his body is more like a human being...

:rolleyes:

caulfield
06-17-2003, 09:22 AM
My only crit would be that his hands look at tiny bit small, and they don't look relaxed...it's kind of distracting.

Mikoto
06-17-2003, 04:04 PM
i luv the textures wow..... now all you need to do is tutorials ;P :applause:

Banshee
06-17-2003, 04:07 PM
Indeed, very good piece of work....

My goodness, the texturing must have been horrible...

:applause:

@Jonas: Would you mind posting some of your textures unfolded?

pascal_blanche
06-17-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Jonas
Thanks Pascal!
Btw, when are those cg model kits coming? soon I hope!

Head Wire Frame (http://www.hyperjump.de/wire.gif)

Cheers,
Jonas

ehehe im still thinking about it.. not a lot of time these days :(

FidoFilm
06-17-2003, 04:23 PM
Very cool! Or should I say Hot? It's not exactly freezing where he's at!:applause:

Jonas
06-17-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by pascal blanché
ehehe im still thinking about it.. not a lot of time these days :(

I know what mean... so much to do, so little time...

But I managed to get my website up and running!
www.SubDivMe.com (http://www.subdivme.com)

Cheers,
Jonas

cgjie
06-18-2003, 09:20 AM
WOW
I have visited your website!
so great work!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

RedFish
06-18-2003, 09:25 AM
Fantastic,

cant see anything wrong with it at all. great job. (I know that this is not helpful from the standpoint of someone looking for critiques, but its all I got sorry).. Nice

xynaria
06-18-2003, 09:40 AM
Beautiful render and glad to see you posting your stuff again, looking forward to you getting a site up again. Others have pointed out the rigging things so no point in reiterating that.. my main crit which will probably upset everyone and seems to be a personal bias of mine is the cliche of the three toed beast as it where. Whilst 'Sci fi/alien/fantasy' creatures have no point of reference or convention to adhere to if they've got appendages it would be cool if they seemed to have an implied justification for being why they are and the three toed beast is approaching the ..oh stick a fr*gging horn on it why don't you ....as the preferred 'choice' for most people. :) :beer: :beer: :beer:

Banshee
06-18-2003, 11:35 AM
@Jonas: Which techniques do you use to create your textures? Especially the leather-materials look absolutely fantastic - and you seem to integrate them into most of your pictures...

Do you paint them in Photoshop, do you scan pieces of leather or do you use photographies?

facial
06-20-2003, 02:26 AM
Wooow, So great work.:D

tomokazu
06-20-2003, 02:47 AM
It is beautiful :eek:
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

BinarySoup
06-20-2003, 06:53 PM
although he is definately alien (or a pretty deformed human), you manage to create a sense of inner peace across his face.

this, coupled with an amazingly beautiful "painterly" look, well, I just love it!

like many others here, the first thing that crossed my mind was Gerald Brom, which is not negative in any respect, as he is superb. The second thing was that it looked somewhat Pascal Blanche work, not exactly bad verdict either ;) In short, this one is destined for many desktops :D

I am personally VERY interested in what render/post-work you used/did to achive such a great painted look, so if you have any information you wouldn't mind sharing, please do!

oh, although you have moved to England I hope you keep our Swedish traditions, så ha en riktigt trevlig midsommar! dags för första nubben nu...

that goes for stahlberg too :)

*hick!*

Jonas
06-23-2003, 10:18 PM
BinarySoup: Trevlig midsommar på dig oxå! (lite sent kanske...)

As I posted earlier in this thread, I'm just using 3dsmax standard scanline renderer with Light Tracer. Nothing fancy. Added some more saturation in photoshop, nothing more than that.

Cheers,
Jonas

murm9000
06-24-2003, 04:21 AM
The pose and background remind me of a Brom painting.

Nice work.

Jamaludin
06-24-2003, 10:08 AM
Again a good character, how you do it no one knows its unbelievable, good luck !

AlunBjorksten
07-15-2003, 12:50 AM
Amazing work. A-*&@#^$-mazing, in fact.

I can notice immediately the influence of the artist "Brom" in your works - in the subject matter, the poses/environments, and some of the details (like the little metal rings hanging off the quarter-staff) - which is a GOOD thing. Have you thought of sending some of your works to the artist? I think you've done a good enough job on these to seriously consider trying to temp him into some kind of collaboration ...

In the book "Darkwerks" he lists an address for correspondence:
PO Box 112615
Pittsburgh
PA, 15241

Cheers, Al.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.