PDA

View Full Version : I need 2 new monitors - what should I get?

ThreeD
11-16-2008, 10:23 AM
I'm looking to get rid of my good old 957MB syncmaster after many years of good use. I'm now looking for 2x 22" or 2x 24" monitors.

I do a lot of web related work, web design, flash/photoshop, video editing, gfx stuff etc so I need a good, reliable monitor with correct color presentation. Should I go for S-PVA or H-IPS panels?

I've looked at 3 models so far and I would like to know what you guys think:

1) HP LP2475w (H-IPS)
2) Lenovo L2440x (S-PVA)
3) EIZO FlexScan S2231WSEK (S-PVA).

If I have missed out on any great monitors or brands please let me know. I know NEC are great, but they are kind of expensive compared to the "price/performance ratio" of the competition.

Here is another thought that has struck me. Since TN panels are used in the most consumer oriented models, why would I need a *IPS panel in my monitor if my of my work is web related?

The website visitors won't see the correct colors anyway because TN panels aren't as good as *IPS panels when it comes to displaying color.

Any ideas on that?

Any truth to the rumours that some 120 Hz monitors are just around the corner? Are they worth waiting for?

olson
11-17-2008, 12:19 AM
If you're doing web work then just about any panel that is calibrated will do just fine. I would go with IPS or PVA variations personally because of the better viewing angles, but the color accuracy and gamut are less crucial for web work than say compositing for visual effects. Cheers!

biliousfrog
11-17-2008, 01:47 PM
I personally like the Dell 2408WFP, not just for the display but also for the connection options, media reader, USB hub and height/angle adjustment.

Search for monitors on here and you'll find hundreds of threads but, as you say, you'd probably be just as well with a couple of cheap TN's...after all, most of your audience will be using them. Maybe get a nice IPS or PVA and a TN for games and checking your websites, Many of the manufacturers produce monitors that look identical cosmetically.

workbench
11-17-2008, 01:50 PM
TN's never have a comfortable viewing angle, no matter from where you look they will always shift, a S-MVA, S-PVA are much more affordable solution than an S-IPS and with minimal shift if the panel is good.

ThreeD
11-18-2008, 06:48 AM
Olson, that's what I'm thinking too. I just have to find a monitor that has most of the features I need.

biliousfrog, I'll do a search and see what I can come up with. The 2408WFP has a S-PVA panel so it could be a great option I guess.

Paolo, the HP 2475 isn't all that expensive and it's around $700. I know I won't be going for a TN panel, that's for sure :)

thanks guys, appreciate the feedback.

CGTalk Moderation
11-18-2008, 06:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.