PDA

View Full Version : Gnomon Workshop Live!: December 12th-19th

AlexAlvarez
11-16-2008, 04:11 AM
http://www.cgsociety.org/member_benefits/images/gnomon_live_cgt_forum_header_nov_08.jpg (http://www.cgsociety.org/member_benefits/)

Hi all...

We are excited to announce an online event happening in December! We will be rebroadcasting footage from past events including Brom, Wayne Barlowe, Iain McCaig and many more... These presentations are some of the most inspiring and motivating lectures that I have ever seen. Check out the event page (http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/events.html) for more info!

-Alex

erilaz
11-19-2008, 01:25 AM
Hey Alex,

I've been reading over the details and was wondering if the lectures were going to be available for download, or if they were only going to be streamed on demand during the event. I only ask because I could see myself watching these quite a few times! :)

Incidently, have you considered releasing these lectures as a single Gnomon DVD?

AlexAlvarez
11-19-2008, 02:55 AM
Hiya...

Nope, these will be streamed and available only for this event. This was a key factor in us being able to offer this online event at all. Think of it like an event you would attend at Gnomon in person. You come, you see it and then remember it for years to come. These presentations are truly inspiring and something that everyone in the industry should see... in my opinion that is. :)

-Alex

DCHAD
11-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Alex,

I am thinking about signing up for this but was hoping you could clarify a couple of items. I understand that after the 19th access to these will disappear. Makes sense given the quality of the content. What I am wondering is whether or not these are being broadcast on a schedule, or if they are just accessible for that week on our own schedule? Also will be be able to stop a presentation and restart it as long as it is within the window of the 12th through the 19th? While I will be in my home office that week, I can see myself getting pulled away from the desk from time to time and having the flexibility to stop and start would be great!

Thanks for the info!
Derek

DCHAD
11-22-2008, 06:46 PM
Alex,

One other question. It looks as though Gnomon is also opening up some Masterclasses as well in a similar format that same week? Is this the case? and is this something we can expect to happen more often?

http://www.gnomonschool.com/master/

Is there a specific reason these are both happening the same week? WOuld have been nice to get access to both but thats a lot of content to digest in the same week.

Thanks
Derek

AlexAlvarez
11-24-2008, 06:47 AM
Hello DCHAD... Yes, the lectures will be available the entire week and you will be able to pause/restart/etc. They are the same week simply because of timing. As we are announcing these events without much lead time, we felt that we needed as much time as possible to get the word out, plus any later and they would bump into Christmas which would prove difficult for the instructors. We did consider having the master class event occur in January, but in the end decided that having two events simultaneously would be interesting. I agree, however, that a lot of people will be interested in both and that it is a huge amount of content. This is why we made the events so inexpensive... so that even if someone was only able to check out a couple of the presentations, they would still feel that it was a solid investment. :)

-Alex

paperclip
11-24-2008, 08:49 AM
Hi,

Since you're rebroadcasting it, is there any chance it will have subtitles/captions? I ask because it is much easier for English-as-a-second-language speakers to understand and for those who are deaf/hearing impaired.

smoothoperator
11-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Alex, there's one thing that isn't clear. In what video format will these videos be presented in? Flash? Quicktime? and what size? Will files used in the artist's demo's be available for viewing or is it only viewed only on the video? Any particular system requirements?

I'm considering signing up for both the masters and re-broadcast one. Where are the schedules??

Thanks.

nbaryosef
11-25-2008, 02:31 AM
i prefer to be there in person, i was planning to attend the one this year. but now i hear it is only broadcast. so i will pass, the price is still the same like years before. and besides Gnomon don't have the associated cost like other times. food, organization, cleaning and more.
the Gnomon saves money and still charge that over priced broadcast tickets, and you cant download the videos.

maybe next year it will be on braodcast and actul live event. besides that the line up is great.

Thanks
Neal

Lexalotacus
11-25-2008, 05:13 AM
That's wierd that you guys at gnomon dont put these presentations on dvd's and sell them on the site... It would be nice to buy them as we can afford them...

MarquezJorge
11-25-2008, 05:52 PM
Hi Alex,
i want the master classes but, thereīs any cuppon for the disccount or something? or how can i get this disccount?
thanks

Andrew-Plumer
11-25-2008, 09:53 PM
Sorry, we should have made a link from this thread when we swapped the header
You will find the CGS Member discount explained here (http://www.cgsociety.org/member_benefits/).

dangomes
11-26-2008, 02:49 PM
I'm interested in the master class, (i'm a beginner in the area but i think this will e an excellent opportunity to me to learn from the master's on the area) but I'm dependent on this (see quote) to decide if i buy the ticket. (my home network connection is a little slow, i it will be great if there's some demo files avaiable, principally because my lack of experience :))

In what video format will these videos be presented in? Flash? Quicktime? and what size? Will files used in the artist's demo's be available for viewing or is it only viewed only on the video? Any particular system requirements?

AlexAlvarez
11-26-2008, 10:19 PM
Hi all...

paperclip: Unfortunately we will not have subtitles/captions for these events. It is definitely something we would love to offer in the future, but right now we are not able to. We know that it isn't necessarily too difficult to do, but we do not have the resources here to do it. To be honest, if someone emailed me and said "hey, I can subtitle your videos in english/chinese/whatever and it will take this long and cost this much" then I would have something to move on, but for know everyone here is swamped. If this is important to you and you have some info, let me know! :)

smooth operator / novoNisto: the videos will be 960x540 for the GWlive event and 1024x768 for the Gnomon Master classes. The format will almost definitely be Flash. Regarding the artist demo files, those will not be available.

nbaryosef: overpriced? our costs are lower? both untrue. Why does someone always have to pipe in with a negative comment? jeez. Just be happy.

Laxalotacus: The presenters for the GWlive event are not interested in DVDs of these rather personal presentations, and therefore this will be your only opportunity to see these lectures. The Gnomon Master classes also contain several lectures that the presenters would not share on DVD. Perhaps some of them could one day be made available, but there are no plans for this.

-Alex

majid-smiley
11-27-2008, 08:39 AM
hi alex.

"Presentations will only be viewable online, at a resolution of 960x540, and can not be saved or stored for later viewing."

i really like to be in this classes...but the problem is my internet speed, i mean i want to save them...is there anyway ?

paperclip
11-27-2008, 08:04 PM
Alex,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply to my questions. I suspected this was the case, as I had a feeling you wouldn't be sitting around laughing at the people muttering 'The room is too dark, I can't really read his lips...dammit, he turned around AGAIN!'...

...I know a few subtitlers. How about if I contact them and ask them to get in contact with you? Think you could fit that into your pipeline?

Ognyan
11-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Hi Alex,
Thank you for the wonderful opportunity. I have one questions as I am interested in both events you're holding. Is the discount for cg members valid for the master classes as well?

Thank you!

salmonmoose
11-28-2008, 01:19 AM
paperclip: Unfortunately we will not have subtitles/captions for these events. It is definitely something we would love to offer in the future, but right now we are not able to. We know that it isn't necessarily too difficult to do, but we do not have the resources here to do it. To be honest, if someone emailed me and said "hey, I can subtitle your videos in english/chinese/whatever and it will take this long and cost this much" then I would have something to move on, but for know everyone here is swamped. If this is important to you and you have some info, let me know! :)

One of our national broadcasters offers this sort of service:

http://www20.sbs.com.au/language/index.php?id=15

smoothoperator
11-30-2008, 05:41 AM
Just bought my ticket for the re-broadcast event and something doesn't make sense.
On the receipt under "Download your files using the following information:"
it says my download expires Dec 3?
The event end on Dec 19. Can someone explain this to me?
thx

AlexAlvarez
12-01-2008, 07:47 AM
Hiya. Don't worry about that. I'll look into how the wording is phrased upon checkout. All attendees will be sent logins for the duration of the event.

-Alex

smoothoperator
12-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Alright thx for the response Alex.
I just bought the master classes as well.
Looking forward to seeing all of these.

iamtravis316
12-09-2008, 05:23 AM
cant wait till fri. for the master class's ive been waiting so long (it seems like)

carlosoporto
12-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Hi, my name is Carlos Oporto and i am from Ecuador, South America.

I am glad that this event is taking place online, i have always wanted to study at Gnomon (just can't afford it right now, but i really want to enter someday) and this is a chance i can't miss, i think of it as a first step to becoming a pro in the industry. I am already registered at the two events so it will be a busy week beginning Dec. 12th.

Thanks Alex for making this event and gathering so many artists, hope some of them can send me feedback of the works i have done. I admire people like you Alex, that teaches and help others become professionals in the industry, continue the great work and these online events.

Carlos

carlosoporto
12-11-2008, 02:21 AM
I have received an email that the two events have been extended, thanks for this, i was worried that just one week couldnīt be enough time for the two events. Also does the special forum is extended for the two weeks? Thanks

jamesbarnes
12-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Hi Alex,

Was just wondering if you had a rough idea as how big these videos will be? in terms of internet usage, im planning to watch all 18 lectures, not sure if my download limit will allow this.... at 2 to 3 hours each id guess theyd be fairly big downloads?

AlexAlvarez
12-15-2008, 04:31 AM
Hiya...

Well, the events have kicked off and it is really amazing... the instructors did such a great job with their lectures and the attendees all seem to be enjoying it immensely. :)

itos: Thank you so much for the kind words and support! I hope you are learning a lot and having an inspiring and educational experience. Yes, the forum access is also extended for another week. Once the lectures started coming in, it was clear that two weeks would be a more appropriate timeframe to have access to all this info.

jamesbarnes: You will probably eat up around 10gigs of bandwidth if you watch everything.

-Alex

kippu
01-04-2009, 07:00 PM
so since i heard the news now that is over ...which is sad because i so wanted to see jeff patton's lectures....is there no way i can watch it or read his notes?

CGTalk Moderation
01-04-2009, 07:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.