PDA

View Full Version : how to make a good details in a robot

Aljoker
06-15-2003, 05:47 AM
hi everybody..

:p i know, i am asking alot, but what should i do. i need to learn :)

anyway, i have a robot, so i need to give him a good details, such as lines in his covers and electric paths, sort of that things.

i think it can be don by BUMP ?

is that right. If it is, how can i do it ?

mouj
06-15-2003, 10:51 AM
Howdy !

I guess it all depends on what kind of a concept you have, but take a look here (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68362&perpage=15&pagenumber=2) for instance, see how details can be modeled; i think it's up to you to decide wether you're going for modeled details or bump maps, but you probably won't be able to achieve all details using bump maps, and on the other hand probably some details will be better of simulated by bump maps...

As to how you should create bump maps, well ... err it's kind of like painting a texture but it's greyscaled and goes in the 'bump' slot rather than in 'diffuse'...

hope this helps a little

mouj

Aljoker
06-15-2003, 11:20 AM
:thumbsup:

Thanks MOUJ.

that's help alot, but do you know a good tutorial for that .. :)

Xilica
06-15-2003, 02:51 PM
hey aljoker:

i do not know of a tutorial, however the best way to get good at this is trial and error/practice, if it takes 3 tries or more until you get it then you will learn a heck of alot since it's your own concept

mouj
06-15-2003, 05:00 PM
As Xilica says, best way is practice; i don't know either of a specific tutorial on modeling a robot or robot's details.

I'd say you need to find a couple tutorials, practice organic and technical modeling, spend some time on it and you'll find yourself ready to start some more complicated / detailed models from scratch and reference pictures.

Also, there is a "Theorical SubD" thread in the Resources section of this forum, you might want to check it out as it has lots of usefull information and howto's.
Finally, there is also a "Tutorials" thread where you might find some good starters.

mouj

Aljoker
06-15-2003, 06:24 PM
thanks everbody

you realy hepled me ., :)

Giles3
07-11-2003, 02:30 AM
Theres a plugin for max called Greeble (I think its called that).
This can be used to add a little bit of simple detail.:beer:

Aljoker
07-11-2003, 10:05 AM
waaw, thnaks Giles3

did you try it ?. i am afraid that i cant try it now :(. i am waiting for my new PC.

could you try it for me Giles3 and tell me the rsults. ?

:rolleyes:

Giles3
07-11-2003, 10:58 AM
Its not the answer to adding detail, it wont and tubing or anything.
It just extrudes and bevels some faces to make panel type things. I dont have max installed right now - so I can post a screenie or anything.

Giles3

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.