PDA

View Full Version : Watchmen New Trailer!

RobertoOrtiz
11-14-2008, 12:01 AM
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/watchmen.html?showVideo=1

Billabong
11-14-2008, 02:58 AM
That guys voice sound like Christian Bale in Batman.Nothing wrong with that, but he did sound like it. Still looks pretty good.

icedeyes
11-14-2008, 03:31 AM
Looks interesting... Does anyone know if they managed to solve the legal problems they had with the copyrights?

mental
11-14-2008, 03:47 AM
That guys voice sound like Christian Bale in Batman.Nothing wrong with that, but he did sound like it. Still looks pretty good.
Before the first Watchmen trailer came out, I was expecting Rorschach to sound like Jeffery Combs' version of DC's The Question from the JLU Animated Series (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDBxlOfJnoQ). Christian Bale's voice was distracting in The Dark Knight and considering how much dialog Rorschach has in Watchmen, it is not too encouraging. Also Dr. Manhattan's voice might work for the human Osterman but sounds kind of wimpy for a godlike being.

Is the music from the first half of the trailer from Dark City?

phexitol
11-14-2008, 03:51 AM
Phillip Glass and (totally new) Idiot Pilot - pure awesomeness :) As if I wasn't already looking forward to this movie enough.

mental: The first half is Phillip Glass - Pruitt Igoe, which has been used in a lot of things (it was originally written for Koyaanisqatsi). The second half is by Idiot Pilot, but it's completely new so I don't know that name of the track.

gjpetch
11-14-2008, 03:58 AM
I heard that the ending of the movie is changed from the comic, which reduced my level of anticipation by a lot. Why make such a faithfull adaptation, only to wimp out on the sublime climax of the comic?

nookienick
11-14-2008, 04:01 AM
Looks like they stayed very true to the novel, this should be interesting :) Dr. Manhattan doesn't quite work in movie form as well as he did on paper, understandably though. I agree about his voice too, I think they should've painted Christopher Judge (Teal'c from Stargate) in blue and voila! Perfect!

mental
11-14-2008, 04:12 AM
mental: The first half is Phillip Glass - Pruitt Igoe, which has been used in a lot of things (it was originally written for Koyaanisqatsi). The second half is by Idiot Pilot, but it's completely new so I don't know that name of the track.
Thanks phexitol, I've heard the track before but could not remember if it was from a movie or album. The second song is actually Muse - Take A Bow.

skello
11-14-2008, 05:17 AM
The excessive use of slow motion is really putting me off. Bah!

danshewan
11-14-2008, 07:47 AM
Christian Bale's voice was distracting in The Dark Knight and considering how much dialog Rorschach has in Watchmen, it is not too encouraging. Also Dr. Manhattan's voice might work for the human Osterman but sounds kind of wimpy for a godlike being.

Agreed, and agreed.

I heard that the ending of the movie is changed from the comic, which reduced my level of anticipation by a lot. Why make such a faithfull adaptation, only to wimp out on the sublime climax of the comic?

What did you hear the ending had been altered to, and from where?

Bonedaddy
11-14-2008, 07:55 AM
Hrm.

Bit of a mixed bag.

Doc Manhattan's looking a lot better than previous trailers, which is encouraging. It looks pretty faithful to the book (although I don't remember Silk Spectre running from an explosion).

However, the tone of the trailer is a bit worrisome. Watchmen was always less about people trying to save the world (which is a weak motive), and more about messed-up people with complex goals and problems. The tone simplifies things, maybe just as a bait-and-switch to audiences, but still has me a bit worried.

Plus: Rorschach was very much not into group dynamics. Him saying "an attack on one of us is an attack on all of us" is... pretty far out of character, IMO.

Also, Rorschach's voice is annoying (but fixable), and, as previously noted, the slow-mo shininess continues to be at odds with the grimy, realistic tone in the comic.

gjpetch
11-14-2008, 08:42 AM
What did you hear the ending had been altered to, and from where?
It was here, towards the end:
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/081107k.php

One thing that strikes me is that the comic was unusually realistic for its time, so this very stylized "comic book" adaptation is arguably missing the point. But I'm still looking forward to it.

danshewan
11-14-2008, 09:08 AM
Thanks for posting the link, Petch. I guess I'd rather have the heads-up now, as opposed to feeling cheated at the theater.

I agree with you - why stay so faithful to the material, even down to shot composition, if they were going to radically alter the story at the end? What, was the original ending not 'cool' enough or something? And if Snyder is to be believed, it's not like we'll even get to see it on the DVD extras.

:cry:

Laa-Yosh
11-14-2008, 09:09 AM
They had to do something about Rorschach's voice, as one of the great reveals in the comic is when you learn his true identity. It's kinda more complicated in a movie where you could recognize the voice immediately.

I didn't like this trailer by the way, seems like the storytelling will be dumbed down considerably. Rorschach refering to themselves as Watchmen is clearly to show the audience who the movie's about... The only problem is that another layer of the story is about the US considering itself a watchman on the walls of world tyranny or whatever, and how it actually means a constant threat of nuclear war. It would be pretty easy to keep all the political and social commentary from the comic in the movie, it's just as relevant today - but it seems tht Snyder (or the studio) has completely given up on it...

danshewan
11-14-2008, 09:17 AM
They had to do something about Rorschach's voice, as one of the great reveals in the comic is when you learn his true identity. It's kinda more complicated in a movie where you could recognize the voice immediately.

True, but it is a little close to the overly-theatrical. I think they could have achieved the same shock reveal without resorting to cliche.

I didn't like this trailer by the way, seems like the storytelling will be dumbed down considerably. The only problem is that another layer of the story is about the US considering itself a watchman on the walls of world tyranny or whatever, and how it actually means a constant threat of nuclear war. It would be pretty easy to keep all the political and social commentary from the comic in the movie, it's just as relevant today - but it seems tht Snyder (or the studio) has completely given up on it...

Well, I agree that much of the subtext of Watchmen is relevant today, though perhaps they weren't willing to take a gamble at the box office on Joe Public's political awareness. I'm sure that most powerful symbolism in cinema is lost on the majority of moviegoers anyway, though it seems a real shame in this instance if you're right.

Maybe they just wanted to make a slice of pure escapism / excellent merchandising opportunity, as opposed to the thought-provoking character study of the graphic novel. I think it's still looking good, but some really good points being raised here, and definite cause for concern if you're a fan.

Laa-Yosh
11-14-2008, 09:29 AM
It's more about a missed opportunity... I just can't see how most of the elements they've changed or omitted would've kept the movie from becoming a financial success.
See how I don't agree with the stylized visuals, the added action and coolness? :)

danshewan
11-14-2008, 09:41 AM
I just can't see how most of the elements they've changed or omitted would've kept the movie from becoming a financial success. See how I don't agree with the stylized visuals, the added action and coolness? :)

I agree - the changes that appear to have been made, had they been left intact, wouldn't surely wouldn't hurt the project financially, though I don't really get how they can adapt such a distinctive graphic novel without any stylized visuals. I guess it would depend on your definition of stylized.

I'm not a big fan of the seemingly-gratuitous slow motion, though.

iainbanks
11-14-2008, 12:27 PM
If any of them have that ridiculous batman voice i think i may have to walk out of the cinema screaming ...why!!!I mean i thought the new batman films were ok, but as soon as he opened his mouth it ruined the whole thing for me.

urban-rebellion
11-14-2008, 12:46 PM
I personally feel that although the slowmotion can be overused in some circumstances, in a comic book movie (used correctly of course) it suits the genre down to the ground. I see it as an interpretation of pausing over a particular still or image and sort of taking your time to take the whole thing in. Throwing the comedian out of the window for example, isnt that a shot in the comic you didnt sort of stop for a few seconds to look at all the detail? Thats my take on it anyway.

As far as Rorsach's voice is concerned, I can see the similarity to the dark knight (although it didn't strike me like that until it was pointed out) but I think it suits the character, the edging of the speech bubbles in the novel and the psychology of the character (harsh, unbending) lend themselves to it. How else could they have done it?

Dr Manhattan though, I do think they could use a way to change his voice a bit, once again in the comic it was indicated by the speech bubble that his voice sounded different and his character was mostly emotionless so removing some of the "humanity" in his voice seems like an obvious thing to do. I'm not the director though (and in many ways I don't envy his job, it seems a difficult body of work to adapt), and there is still 6 months left to work on it and make changes like that. We'll just have to see...

Laa-Yosh
11-14-2008, 01:38 PM
Manhattan looks like they've placed a live action head on top of a CG body. Very cool.

It's also kinda strange because I would've considered the facial animation to be the more problematic one and not the CG human body which has been done pretty well as far back as Hollow Man. There's something wrong with both the proportions and shapes on that torso.

Venkman
11-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Also Dr. Manhattan's voice might work for the human Osterman but sounds kind of wimpy for a godlike being.

I kind of like that his voice is still grounded in humanity. It may not be a big booming voice, but how cliche would that be? He has the voice of a watch repair guy. ;)

Despite being so powerful and all knowing, the book has a couple of key scenes where he is still quite human and not omniscient despite his power.

I hope they keep the end from the book.

RobertoOrtiz
11-14-2008, 10:00 PM
Well I will be the first in line for this flick.

Looking forward to it.

-R

Geta-Ve
11-15-2008, 04:30 AM
As someone that is actually in the middle of reading the comic for the first time, all I have to say is WOW! Some of the shots almost perfectly capture some of the panels in the comic.

A few things here and there bother me, like Manhattans voice, though as one person stated, it is the voice of a watch repair man... :P though I thought it would have some buzz behind it, so to speak..

Anyhow, I am REALLY looking forward to this. :bounce:

kelgy
11-15-2008, 07:29 AM
I should probably read it before I "watch" the movie.

I remember the hullabaloo when it came out but the Dark Knight Returns was getting more attention so i didnt really notice it until a few years later.

If someone told me the surprises I dont remember them.

R10k
11-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Looks awesome, but the lack of [what was mentioned] from the ending sounds pretty dumb, since it helps explain things.

I'm happy with all the voices though.

playmesumch00ns
11-15-2008, 11:36 AM
Dr. Manhattan is a bit up and down: he's completely CG isn't he?

All you comic book geeks can stay at home if you like and whine about changed endings, but I'll be at the cinema enjoying it.

R10k
11-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Hey- no comic book geek here. I'm talking common sense. If you have a super-popular story, why risk mucking with it? It's popular because Alan Moore wrote it, not because a bunch of other guys behind the movie did.

RobertoOrtiz
11-15-2008, 04:16 PM
Well comic books and film are different mediums.

The narrative structures of both medium can differ a lot. Considering this, I am VERY impressed on how faithfull the fimakers have been to the original source.

MrPositive
11-19-2008, 06:36 AM
I must say, considering this is in my top five pieces of literature, that this looks about five times better than I expected (my hairs on my back stood up.....ya I know gross). I also love the slow motion, as they are emphasizing the panel in the comic to hit home.

Laa-Yosh
11-19-2008, 08:14 AM
I've just read Sam Hamm's script from '89 here (http://www.scifiscripts.com/scripts/wtchmn.txt). Utterly terrible, after this I'm gonna have to be happy with anything Snyder produces...

CGTalk Moderation
11-19-2008, 08:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.