PDA

View Full Version : I have a beginner's question...

NFarland
11-13-2008, 11:18 PM
Okay, this is going to sound pretty "noobish" but I feel I have to ask. How do you start an organic? I really like the animated, cartoonish style (Such as The Incredibles), but I don't know where to start. What shape do you start with? How do you begin your models?

All tips are appreciated!

-Nick

RobertoOrtiz
11-13-2008, 11:44 PM
I would start first with simple shapes.
Model things around you like apples, bottles, tables etc.

When you feel that you have a decent likeness of those objects
I would reproduce some simple action figures.

The idea is to build up your observational and modeling skills...

Then the real hard work comes..

NFarland
11-13-2008, 11:57 PM
I can model some basic stuff, unfortunately I don't know how to make textures so they always look really bad. Starting in 3D art sucks, but hopefully one day I can get to where some of you guys are, that's where the fun is!

RobertoOrtiz
11-14-2008, 07:16 PM
One step at a time...You have two different problems..

How do to model something?

How do I shade materials to look realistic?

For the shading part I would start trying to replicate the surface attributes of things around you.

Try to make a simple sphere to look like a simple surfaces, like apples, oranges grapes etc.

And I would strongly suggest some drawing/sculpting classes at your local Art league.
-R

NickCaligo42
11-15-2008, 06:32 AM
Take it at your own pace, don't be afraid of the darkness, and don't let the beginner's stuff put you off. Making a human's the same as making an apple. When you know the tools in these 3D programs it's all just confidence. Well, okay. Confidence and a bit of artistic training so that you know what a good human and a bad human actually look like, but that's just observational skill when you get down to it. Wherever your characters are lacking, take a look at photographs or pictures of stuff of the type you're going for and ask yourself what your stuff has that it doesn't or what it has that your stuff doesn't.

90% of organic models are started from a cube, whether it's a man-eating plant, a human, or whatever. The faces of a cube give maximum control over the topology. You can use the grid in a 3D program to make sure the initial proportions conform to the "head heights" model of human proportions (IE a person is X heads tall), and you can extrude really, REALLY crude limbs and as time goes on refine them with edge loops and with cuts in the geometry. This is the strategy I like best, but others like to piece their models together from separate cylinders, which also works.

Shaders, I'll confess, are something I'm still learning about. If you want realistic skin, I'm still looking into that. It's not nearly as hard as you might think, though. None of it is. You just have to be willing to learn. You seem like you have a good attitude, though. :) Keep it up.

CGTalk Moderation
11-15-2008, 06:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.