PDA

View Full Version : antialias edges

one333
04-29-2002, 11:10 PM
Hi, I have a 3d animation which I rendered without antialiasing. The textures are simple so the only place the lack of antialiasing shows up is at the edges of the objects. My computer then crashed and I lost all of my scene files so I can't rerender with antialiasing. :) I am wondering, is there a way to have after effects intelligently edge detect my frames and antialias or blur or something to that effect so my objects look less jagged around the edges??

ErickG
05-04-2002, 03:14 PM
Not really. You could just blur the alpha channel but that might look crappy. My advice is to redo it.

-Erick

Mauritius
05-08-2002, 12:43 PM
There are several possibilities.

First, you can (gaussian) blur the alpha by 2 pixels, then add a brightness/contrast filter on top of it. Set contrast to about 80%, then play with brightness until you bg is completely cut off by the alpha. This method will round off fine detail in the alpha but otherwise nicely antialias it. If you're animation is some organic object, like e.g. a character, chances are good that this will work for you.

Another option is to use a deprecated software called "JAG" from Metacreations. Unlike Painer, Bryce, etc., it has not been sold to any party that continues its development. If you're lucky, you find a dusted copy at some dealer. JAG II could also batch antialias files. Both programs did a marvelous job of antialiasing images. I'm not sure if JAG II was ever released on the PC platform at all or Mac only.
Personally, I only have a PC JAG I copy. So I can't even offer you to send me the sequence and antialias it for you ... :(

Third, I know of someone who was writing a tool that is based on the same tech paper as JAG. I can dig out his e-mail address and you can contact him.

Fourth, I can also send you the resp. tech paper as PDF; so if you're the programmer type, you can try to implement the algorithm by your own. It basically finds the edges in the image and refits polylines/splines through them which are drawn antialiased, using the resp. original pixel's color.

Cheers,

Moritz

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.