PDA

View Full Version : Did ya know...[Motionbuilder tips&tricks thread]

uncommongrafx
06-14-2003, 10:19 PM
That you could double click on those double entries on the left of the fcurves pane and effect the numbers of those nodes connected?
I thought that was cool as [expletive]!

Share what you've learned.

I wanna change the keyboard shortcuts to resemble my 'program of choice.... Another thread...

Help us learn MB -- Post your "Did ya know..." :applause:

SheepFactory
06-14-2003, 10:28 PM
Good idea , the thread in the wings forum was pretty helpful , lets have one for mb too :)

Ali

uncommongrafx
06-15-2003, 07:57 PM
Have you been trying to get one take to another and just not had the luck? Try this:
spacebar-rtclick on the hips of the skeleton that has the motion you want. In the fcurve panel, select them all, copy. Go back to the take you want to paste it to. Simple.
Must be the same skeleton, it seems.

uncommongrafx
06-15-2003, 07:59 PM
Anyone have anyting at all on the constraint system???

I saw a foot stabilizing vmt once and can't find it for the life of me! What was the TRICK! Drag what where? :hmm:

Shade01
06-27-2003, 11:57 PM
What happened, did everybody run out of tips?

3DDave
06-30-2003, 09:28 PM
Select an element in the view window and hold down the Alt-key while dragging the element to the constraints window. This places in in the window for use.

Right click on an element in the relational constraints window to select Local Coordinates for the element.

This works for multiple selections as well.

No secrets here, these were all in the VTM's.

toonshady
07-02-2003, 02:02 AM
some of my workflow habits.

1. The Effector pinning feature is quite cool. Try pinning the chest cell and then rotate and move around the hip, you'll get nice and fast contra-posto.

2. I also like to pin the rotation of the head cell. That acts as if you have a head target.

3. If you have pinning on the hand cell, try grabbing the shoulder or the elbow cell, hold down the "q" key (release) and rotate them to get FK movement.

4. Checking off and on the "Crtl Rig In" option on the Character Control pane will reset your character to the t-pose.

5. F1 = drag mode, F2 = local, F3 = global

6. check out the playback speed. Sometimes I use 1/3x speed to check my arc and transitions between my keys.

7. Copying and pasting keys are as simple as crtl + c, and crtl + v. You can copy/paste multiple selected keys. I like to use this feature to create my hold keys.

8. left and right arrow to jump from key to key.

3DDave
07-04-2003, 12:41 AM
If you need a Lightwave to Motion Builder Skeleton, go to this post;

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65961

loked
07-07-2003, 10:43 AM
Hey,

Does anybody have the same skeleton setup for Maya??

By the way, cool thread :thumbsup:

Later
Loked

toonshady
07-08-2003, 01:51 AM
1. I find that you can maximize your view of the scene by double clicking on the view pane. Kinda like preview mode, but you can still see your mouse cursor.

2. double click on the zoom bar in the transport pane can toggle between max frame range and the zoomed frame range.

3. I don't know how useful is working in body part mode is. Perhaps it's the way to offset your keyframes on the rig so that not everything stops at the same beat. Some keying behavior I noticed: key any Ik or FK effector on a limb will set key on all effectors of that limb. Set key on the hip effector seems to set key like in regular body mode.

4. Might give this a try. The Export feature in the File menu can save out an fbx file that is just containing animation data that is necessary for merging back with your host package. The export fbx approach creates a smaller file. So if you are working on a big scene, that would be our master file. You can export a smaller file that would serve a temp file to get your animation back to the host program.

CurtisG
07-12-2003, 10:38 PM
Hey guys,

Keyboard shortcut templates will be coming in Motionbuilder 5.0. Change from Motionbuilder layout to Maya, 3dsmax or XSI.

Cheers,

uncommongrafx
07-12-2003, 11:50 PM
Lightwave?

[I resisted a multitude of ?????. ;) ]

LFGabel
07-15-2003, 05:53 PM
Toonshady, does #4 take into account all animation? From what I recall, the export feature didn't take facial animation of endos into account when merged back into LW.

That was 4.01 though.

Nemises
08-11-2003, 01:06 AM
For the guy that asked about Blending stabalisation object above.

You must have an over lapping blend between 2 takes.

Then, select a "stability" object (something on your main skeleton that is stationary over the course of the blend preferably), alt-drag it to the OVERLAPPING (important) section of the resultant blend in the blend editor.
If succesfull the name of the object will show on the blend graph.
Then click on "match pivot" and viola, all matched up :)

...yummy :)

zionlocke
10-28-2003, 10:19 PM
i was wondering how smooth an animation can be made using motionbuilder and maya or is it best to just stick with maya keyframing and mocap imports

Rodi
11-07-2003, 09:59 PM
Dont know if anyone has mentioned this, Ctrl+1,2,3, this is to toggle between world and local rotation and translation, it really helps me! Hope it helps you,

abgrafx3d
11-09-2003, 12:12 AM
zionlocke,

I recently used MB and Maya to do an animation test and it worked out great. You can view it here:

Turtle Test (http://www.abgrafx.com/animation/turtle_test.mov)

jennifer1013
05-31-2004, 12:29 AM
OK....I'm sure everyone is familiar with this interface aspect in Motion BREAKER - the surfer dude in the character controls window?

Does anyone know how to change it? It would be nice if the pic reflected the character you were working on.

Too bad MB's interface itsn't as customizable as Maya's.

baron_moebious
06-04-2004, 08:00 PM
If you folks have some issues regarding batch processes and the like in MB5, you should note that MB5.5 Pro include a scripting feature that expose a lot of functionnality. :cool:

BennyE
06-27-2004, 05:06 PM
lets see now...

1. When adding layer keys use rotational IK on everything that doesnt require contact to another surface, it will give you better blending interpolation.

I find that the best ik setup for working on mocap is usually, TR on hips, feet, R on first spine, head and shoulders...everything else is FK

2. Pasting a pose on a layer at a specific frame means that character at that frame will be in your decired pose...however it does not mean that the keyframe must be on that frame. Ones pasted you may move the keyframe to another point in time to deal with interpolation issues like sliding feets and such when matching poses.

3. Keyframes on a 'Actor face' object can be used to drive a 'Character face' setup without mocap by the use of user channels in the character face. This can be used to simulate mayas setdriven keys on any joint. (Like for making a hand setup with sliders).

4. You may save a fbx containing only poses by selecting it in the interface and using the 'Save selected' item on the file menu.

Oh and for the guy asking about changing the picture of the character...all icons in motionbuilder are located in [MB]\bin\system\ in TIF format, the character icon is called 'character-picture.tif'

wabash
07-08-2004, 05:20 PM
since we pre bake the lighting into our textures we don't use mb's lighting.
when importing our .fbx models from maya, we add a lighted shader, and a white material (changing diffuse to 100% white) to the model, then go into the models texture and check 'use material.'
:)

mix
11-23-2004, 08:09 AM
Yea, Anyone have a skeleton setup for Maya6.

Would be much apreciated.

Hey,

Does anybody have the same skeleton setup for Maya??

By the way, cool thread :thumbsup:

Later
Loked

Don_acme
11-23-2004, 12:33 PM
you can download a two setup skeleton from hightend 3d maya scripts animation .

solar power
01-26-2005, 05:32 PM
Using a 'Flat Shader' with transparency enabled turns on the alpha channel of still or video images on a 'Video Plane' in MOTIONBUILDER 6. This is not is the docs... took me a while to figure this out. MB is very powerful tool... see a practical application of this trick in the alias 3D storyboarding demo here:

http://www.alias.com/eng/products-services/motionbuilder/index.shtml

keep the knowledge rolling-->

peace&respect//sp

jason108
03-12-2005, 01:16 AM
Hello

I just discovered something that made my day so I thought I'd share with the rest of the class.

I'm animating a kid picking up a rock and carrying it.

I'm not using a parent/child constraints to keep the wrist effectors in place while the rock moves all around because if I use a parent/child constraint I can't animate the wrist anymore. What ever position I put the hand in last it stays for good because the constraint over rides all other animation. I heard multi-reference fixes this but I'm not sure how.

Anyway I found something that worked perfectly.

Auxilary effectors for the wrists!

I just created some Aux effectors for the wrists > moved them in a good spot on the rock > hit x on the keyboard > selected the aux effector > dragged it to the rock > selected "Parent" from the menu!

Then I used the "Reach T" slider to turn the aux effector on and off when I needed it, by creating key frames.

I get the best of both worlds!

My wrists stay where I want them and I can still animate the hand freely.

I'm sure this is old news to most of you. But for some it may not be.

Let me know if I'm not being clear on anything.

_mg_
04-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Ever get tired of zooming, panning the perspective cam to keep up with your mocap data?

If so read on...

This is a simple way to have a camera always track the character you're editing.

It allows you to move/rotate the cam relative to the /character object so can always adjust your view but will always follow the character.

1. Create a target camera.
2. Create a null and align it's position to the Characters root bone/effector.
3. Move the camera so that it's looking approximately at the characters root as in a mid-shot of a character.
4. Ensure that the camera target is a reasonable distance from the camera body, but not too far.
5. Parent the camera and target to the null.
6. Position Constrain the null to the root node.
7. Play your scene.

You should now have a camera that always follows the character, but still allows you to orbit or zoom around the character.

Hope you find this useful.

biggyninja
05-10-2005, 03:29 PM
save often.

5p3c7r4
06-22-2005, 12:18 AM
Hi

I know this gets asked alot but no one ever posted a working solution.

Can someone please tell me how to export bvh files from MB 6 into Max 7 CS so that you dont get the naming convention error when you open the bvh file in max's motion cap dialouge?

Please be specific since there is much room for error here.

Thank you

Sojus
06-28-2005, 12:58 PM
If you do your keyframe animation in Story Window and maybe have different Tracks for Upper and Lower Body, make sure you have Full Body selected in one of the tracks.
Otherwise the file seems to crash sometime.

BertMac
10-22-2005, 04:11 PM
OK....I'm sure everyone is familiar with this interface aspect in Motion BREAKER - the surfer dude in the character controls window?

Does anyone know how to change it? It would be nice if the pic reflected the character you were working on.

Changing pics in MB interface is very simple
Go to
(Mac)
Right click MB:Show Package contents. ....\Contents\MacOs\System\Charecterctrl\
(win)
C:\Program Files\Alias\MotionBuilder601Pro\bin\system directory

And change the "character-picture.tif"
I putted some example pics at this link
www.muezli.com/stupidstuff

And while your at it change the splash screen as well
(Mac)
Right click MB:Show Package contents. ....\Contents\MacOs\System\Splash\splash_animation.tif
(win)
C:\Program Files\Alias\MotionBuilder601Pro\bin\system directory

eeh don't know like a pic of your girlfriend or something
really belief me she will like it.

ok, enough of this.
back to work again

VM
06-07-2006, 03:15 PM
I'm new to MB. I have MB 7.5 and the gettin' stratin' guide mentions that you can plot animation back on the character, so you get back your keys and continue editing... (if I didn't get it wrong...), so I searched within the docs, but nothing... Is it possible to un-plot an animation, to get your keys back? How?
Thanks dudes ;)

Kiwistylz
02-27-2007, 08:40 AM
Great Post !! :thumbsup: always new bits n pieces you never knew existed eh :)
By default when selecting using Motionbuilders character controlls ..it only displays the IK skeleton in the Fcurves without selecting the FK skeleton directly ,, You can turn these on by checking the " Display Keying Group" under your Key controlls .. this will allow you to view both IK and FK skeleton when only selecting in the character controlls window if you want to work completely in the Fcurves,,
On a total tangent to anim in MB,, a buddy of mine just showed me the real time effects Motionbuilder has.. very cool stuff ,,check ya camera options n within a couple of clicks (enable real time effects) real time M blur and DOF :) :) how does it crunch it ?! wooot

Cheers

mkapfhammer
03-01-2007, 10:06 PM
Hi

I know this gets asked alot but no one ever posted a working solution.

Can someone please tell me how to export bvh files from MB 6 into Max 7 CS so that you dont get the naming convention error when you open the bvh file in max's motion cap dialouge?

Please be specific since there is much room for error here.

Thank you

There's a limit to the amount of bones in the .bvh format. In the image, I've included as many bones as possible.

It's a good idea to select the heirarchy starting from the BVH:Hips node and down when exporting the BVH file. Not sure about Max 9, but in previous versions this caused errors.

http://lookslikematt.com/cgtalk/mb_bone-set-up_bvh_characterstudio.jpg

mkapfhammer
03-04-2007, 12:40 AM
almost forgot... exporting can be tricky. make sure that you select the "hips" node and then select the branches before export>bvh. if you select "reference" as well, you can get errors.

eks
03-12-2007, 01:00 PM
This might save hours of work for some (at least could have saved for me):

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=212026

You shouldn't have any problems. One thing to keep in mind is, when characterized, if your unable to move the tail, deselect the 'Skeleton Trs' under 'Show' in the Character Control window. It's caused others aggravation before.
Good luck
Sam

So, if you have one bone for each ear of a character, and want to animate it with simple FK, you don't need to make custom constraints over nulls and the such: just add the bone to the extension and disable the option mentioned above.

And until MB has support for SplineIK, it's also usefull for rigging/characterizing a FK tail.

Cheers!
eks

Dawnweaver
05-31-2007, 07:55 AM
I'm new to MB. I have MB 7.5 and the gettin' stratin' guide mentions that you can plot animation back on the character, so you get back your keys and continue editing... (if I didn't get it wrong...), so I searched within the docs, but nothing... Is it possible to un-plot an animation, to get your keys back? How?
Thanks dudes ;)

Hi, guys, I know it's been a while since the question, but still someone might find the answer usefull.I'm kinda new to MB aswell (VM you got a year head start on me :) ) Here it comes -
Getting back keyframes to the rig from an animation ploted to the skeleton in MB 7.5:

1. Select your character. In the Character settings tab choose "Control rig OUTPUT"
2. Make sure "Active" is checked. The "Default control rig" should snap to the character in the viewport. (if the rig is in a T-Pose offset from the character check if "Active" is on)
3. Simply click Plot and tell it to plot to the Control Rig. MB creates a new Control Rig for you with the keyframes that were ploted to the skeleton previously.

Hope I've been of use. ;)

Dawnweaver
05-31-2007, 03:32 PM
Thanks dudes ;)

I know it's a year late, but the answer to this could still be usefull to someone.Here it comes:
Getting keframes back to the control rig from a skeleton:

1:Select your character and in the "character settings" tab for input choose "Control rig OUTPUT". Make sure "Active" is checked. At this point you should have a rig named "Default control rig" snapped onto your chararacter.( if the rig is in a T-pose and is not snapped on the char make sure "Active" is on for the input )
2. Click "Plot animation" and choose "to control tig" and voila - you have your new control rig with all the keys from the animation on the skeleton.

Any question, notes or comments are welcome. I don't know if this is the only way, but this is how I approach this.Hope I've been of use :)

ruediman
06-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Hi,

spend some time now to find the option to deactivate the tooltips - and failed :-(
Especially in the character controls this is irritating.

Is it possible at all? How?

cheers&thanks

PS: good idea to start this thread :-)

ruediman
06-27-2007, 12:38 PM
sorry, posted it twice...

nilslerin
07-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Here's a tip.

In Motionbuilder, the order in which you create objects actually matters.

You can test that with the following example:

1. Create an joint chain of two joints.
2. Create a marker and place it at the end joint of chain. This is the "controll-object".
3. Make an chain IK constraint with the marker as effector.
4. Make a position constraint with the end joint set as source and marker set as constrained. Click the zero button for the position constraint.

Doesn't work very good does it? You can't really move the marker so the setup isn't usefull.

Try the exact same setup but do step 2 (create marker) before step 1 (create joints).
Now that is a usefull setup, the marker works as a control object while constraining to the end of the joint-chain. Try it out!

ruediman
07-02-2007, 01:33 PM
by pressing ctrl/shift and hitting left mouse button you can jump to the position you are currently looking at(in time) in the FCurves control window :-)

alec.tron
07-13-2007, 01:12 PM
I was just working on a walkcycle for the first time in ages since we just got fresh mocap material from the last session. When doing walkcycles there were a few ways to keep the walkcycle in place I knew, all of them had the downside of actually locking or deleting the forward motion, which resulted in also loosing the slight de- and ac-celleration that happens when one pushes the weight forward onto the other foot.
If you don't want to loose the de- and ac-celleration motion but need it to be in place, here s a little tip.
First off, get your sourcematerial to walk on a straight line via Story Mode, most likely you want it to start at z=0 and travel to positive Z or that s how we need it at least. Then when you got your straight line, plot it to the skeleton.
-Grab your Hips joint, now on Layer1 key the joint directly on z = 0
-scrub to the last frame, enter z=0 in the input field and key it.
This just gave me the linear counter motion to keep the animation in place without loosing the de- and ac-celleration detail. This obviously only works if the source material is linear as well...

c.

zenigeva
07-27-2007, 12:56 AM
3. I don't know how useful is working in body part mode is. Perhaps it's the way to offset your keyframes on the rig so that not everything stops at the same beat. Some keying behavior I noticed: key any Ik or FK effector on a limb will set key on all effectors of that limb. Set key on the hip effector seems to set key like in regular body mode.

I actually use Full Body and Body Part equally, especially when Im using the Pose Controls in conjunction. For example, to place a pose you created with full body on, given that there are no active constraints or other influences, the entire pose will be applied to your character. There are many times however that you only want the pose for say, the hands, or the hips and legs. In that case, you need to have your character control set to Body Part. You then pick which body parts you want to apply the pose to, and apply it only to those parts with the pose controls. Ive used this in my workflow with both keyframed and mocap animation.
Also, particularly if im assigned to do some hand keyed animation in motionbuilder (which can be a nightmare), I will create all my key poses with full body mode on, and do breakdowns with body part mode on. It doesnt make sense to clutter your entire body's keys by adding unnecessary ones, if youre doing something like adjusting the arc on a part.
I dont think that you can really use Body Part mode to do offsets in motionbuilder, simply because the nature of editing your keys in motionbuilder is more complex. it might take a little more effort, but try to build your offsets into your key poses, instead of doing less poses and offsetting keys to get things like overlap. While doing it that way is okay in a package like Maya, in motionbuilder, keys are on the IK system, the FK bones, and ytour skeleton if youve plotted at some point. Most of the time it isnt as simple as just shifting your keys around, because theres so many layers of them you have to sift through. This is also a big reason why I prefer to use motionbuilder for manipulating mocap data only, and maya for keyframe animation.

brekel
07-30-2007, 01:31 PM
Another one for the relation constraint editor.

When connecting a whole list of inputs/outputs (for example connecting shapes of a character) you don't have to select 1output then 1input.

But you can select a whole bunch of outputs first, they'll stay connected to the mouse pointer, then click the inputs in sequence and the wires will be connected one by one.

Hope that made any sense in text form :)

JHN
10-22-2007, 08:59 PM
When you're in schematic view and have a big layout, select a node, hit any key, I mainly use 'q' and you can drag your selection around, without the need to click on the object, click anywhere! (this tip is mainly when using motionbuilder shortcuts, motionbuilder classic has dragging by default, but I don't like mb classic)

Heey Jasper :)

-Johan

Kadastrophic
12-21-2007, 04:39 PM
I know this may sound simple but I couldn't find this info anywhere.
Using Maya Settings:
hold Ctrl and Shift and play with the number pad, this will give you control over play back:

C+S+1 = Last Frame
C+S+2 = Play Backward
C+S+4 = Move Backward 1 frame
C+S+6 = Move forward 1 frame
C+S+7 = First Frame
C+S+8 = Play

Kadastrophic
12-21-2007, 04:49 PM
Anyone know how to setup hot keys?

alec.tron
12-25-2007, 06:05 PM
Anyone know how to setup hot keys?
Go to MOTIONBUILDERDIR/bin/settings/keyboard/ (or somesuch, dont have a comp with MB infront of me so the names might be somewhat different, but it s pretty obvious once you re there...) there s a txt file with all assignable hotkeys.

c.

adamghering
05-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Well I would just like to comment on Mobu as an animation package. I have noticed alot of people note that they have a hard time keyframing in Mobu; when I believe it is the mindset of the artist that needs to be adjusted for the workflow. The problem lies within the power of the all inclusive rig. When you are animating in maya, by circumstance you have to take into account: am I in FK am I in IK? By default we all have our favorite default setting for how keys get set and so on. Well Mobu with all of its power tends to trip up the artist. You have to think a little more as you are animating.

I can't just arbitrarily set keyframes and then wonder why my arm is not moving correctly even though I pulled it around and posed it with the ik effector. In terms of keyframing in Mobu you only get out what you put in. There is no switching. There is the reach which can be keyed but if I want an IK key I hit Ik in the key frame rollout; FK hit FK. You really need to be in this thought pattern and pay close attention to how you are keying your character. It is different to other programs but once you get a workflow down that works for you it really is a powerful tool. More so for animation than motion capture.

Altering mocap in Mobu is great but for clean up, including smoothing jitters and such, other programs are more powerful and precise. I have done motion editing in several programs and found that Mobu falls short. A big downside is the marker sets. With nex gen titles and movies using larger marker sets for greater subtlety Mobu does not offer the complexity to rebuild data that may not be working or just isn't there. Interestingly enough , with animation being its greatest asset, Mobu is often thought of as more of a motion capture editing suite.

JHN
05-15-2008, 06:46 PM
Some remarks too:

We use MB alot on a television series we're doing and we clean and animate in it (95% mocap, 5% key animation) alot! I find myself thinking that motionbuilder has 2 rigs, IK and FK (as it does have offcourse!) and a skeleton.
The skeleton ultimatly drives the character, the CR (Control Rig (IK and FK)) drives the skeleton.

One important thing to notice is that whatever key button you hit you will always make a key on both the IK and FK rig (always!). If you hit IK it also set the reach to 100 and with hitting FK it will set the reach to 0.

What I do to make tweaking the keys easier is to go to the key controls panel and select the animation dropdown the second from the bottom says "show keying group", put it on.
What this does is put the IK and FK nodes that belong to the bodypart you chose in the trackview. So now I can see both my IK FK and reach keys at the same time. This speeds up my workflow bigtime, since I don't have too continuously switch between schematic to select a different FK node.

Seeing IK and FK together with the reach, made me understand the CR a bit better.

@Adam, I wonder which programs you like better too alter clean/fix mocap data, I think with the filters and the layers and the timewarp we have some powerful tools to edit lots of keyframes "efficiently"... although I definitly see a lot of room for improvement on the filtering, on script access to automate tasks, and on bezier keys. And story mode is quite ok to make cycles.

Besides the absence of stretchy rigs (which we have a hacky workaround for), we use MB almost exclusively to animate bipedal animation with (Modelling, rigging, rendering in max).

-Johan

adamghering
05-15-2008, 08:20 PM
Well...specifically I was talking about the method of cleaning; Not altering. Of course mobu is my fav. But for cleaning:i.e taking a set of markers, rebuildeing data, filtering out marker noise and then plotting to a production skeleton, I prefer evart and calcium. The reason for this is, as stated before, the limits on the actual optical cleanup tools in motiionbuilder are a little archaic. With marker sets getting into the 50's and 60's just for body you lose a lot of subtle character by limiting what markers you have to drive the actor. Not only that the rigid body method does not calculate near as well as other marker definition systems. Some times the human body stretches with sinew, cartilage, and muscle. I should be able to make a connection that holds even if the marker definition of those markers flex a bit. Aside from the head and the pelvis there aren't many setups in the human body that don't give a little.

JHN
05-15-2008, 09:08 PM
Ok, I see what you mean, since I'm just a "motion-editor" and not a mocapTD like a collegue of mine lurking here somewhere aswell.. I'm mostly doing stuff after I have been handed the skeleton sort to speach, although we also have a markerset (magnetic), where I sometimes do cleanup in, but there it's a lot less markers then what you're talking about... and mostly I fix on control rig level and do a standard filterpass on the markerdata.

adamghering
05-16-2008, 01:39 AM
Some people maya not know this.

The story tool, when plotting data to the skeleton or ctrl rig, is completely dependent on the time line(transport controls).

Example: If I have a motion in the story tool that is 200 frames long and I plot it to the character with my time line at a 100 frames then only the motion for that hundred frames is plotted. Some people do this and then replace the motion in thier story tool only to find that some animation that they may have wanted to use later is blown away.

You can right click on the story tool before you plot and click frame start\end. Or you can mute the original track and make a new character track for the new move in the story tool

cheers

mkapfhammer
08-29-2008, 03:50 PM
I recently had to reuse some animation from various shots (for continuity's sake) on a commercial.

While working in story, there were some scale issues that popped up. I would export a clip from one file and load it into story, only to have the various clips have one of three different scales. Although I was also able to retarget each file's anim via the character controls and get them into story by inserting the current take, I found a much faster and simpler solution...

Story Tab> Select only the clip with the undesired scale
Properties> solving mode> choose 'retarget from skeleton'
Side note: I haven't seen any issues with blending/keying the clips that I made this change to.

SeanC
09-04-2008, 09:10 PM
here's a easy one; just found it.. sigh.. :banghead:

you can make multiple selections with middle mouse drag.

you can alt + left click on each object or middle mouse drag over all of them.
useful in schematic, FK, markermapping.. pretty much essential..

also in the character controls, alt + left click to select one controller, but shift + left click to select the entire body part.

Polimeno
11-15-2008, 10:02 PM
please....delete...

blinnlambert
03-20-2009, 01:38 AM
Dont know if anyone has mentioned this, Ctrl+1,2,3, this is to toggle between world and local rotation and translation, it really helps me! Hope it helps you,

I'm not sure what your settings are, but for Maya the hotkey to flip between Global and Local T/R is F5(Lcl) and F6(Gbl).

I JUST found this out after digging for days! sooo happy because I flip between these two constantly!

blinnlambert
04-11-2009, 05:58 AM
A really fun tool to use is the TimeWarp effect. This tab (right next to the Layers tab in your FCurve editor) let's you create curves that manipulate the timing of your animation. You can create bullet-cam and "300" style effects by applying the curve to any animatable attributes. It has saved my arse many a time when I realized I needed part of a walk or a reach to move faster or slower.

Here's a quick runthrough on how to use it:
-- In the TimeWarp tab, create a new curve. this curve will only be as large as the start/end of your timeline in the transport controls window.
-- Set keys at the beginning and end of where you want to manipulate the timing.
-- Select both of the the end keys and move them to right to extend the span of time and left to contract the span.
-- To apply the timeWarp curve, select the attribute to change, and then click "apply" in the timeWarp tab.
-- If you want to slow down the overall action of a character, make sure to apply the curve to the aux effectors as well.
-- BE CAREFUL!! This should only be used when your animation is almost finalized. If you try to add/delete animation keys after applying the curve, they will be offset on your timeline. One way to solve this is by "merging" the curve to the attributes but this is undoable...

This is a fun one to play with but can get a little buggy when you need to readjust, so use in moderation

bhavin
10-03-2009, 10:58 PM
hi,
i have got one problem while blending 2 bvh file. when i am stabilizing between two bvh then blending is not going well. for example first is run bvh and second is jump bvh so it runs properly but while jumping the skeleton goes up and then jump so there is problem in-between. if any one can help then soon send me replay

Thanks
bhavin

DruG
06-12-2010, 10:40 PM
If you would show us any video of this it would be easier to tell what`s goin on.

I`m guessin that you didn`t match both clips and they are placed in different places in space.

P.S. This might not be the best thread for this question BTW;)

jsemerad22
08-02-2010, 05:28 PM
hey, anyone with any motion builder experience in NYC area looking for work? i need some help.

DruG
10-09-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm not sure what your settings are, but for Maya the hotkey to flip between Global and Local T/R is F5(Lcl) and F6(Gbl).

I JUST found this out after digging for days! sooo happy because I flip between these two constantly!

BTW, go to Settings > Preferences > Viewer > and check Store Reference Mode by Transform Mode

Now Translate and Rotate Mode will have separate reference modes, ex. translate can be set to Global and rotate to Local.

Other quite useful thing is "/" + LMB drag in Story tab.

When you have more than one clip and you want to move them all you can press "/" and then LMB on the first one, which will move the clip and every clip on the right from it.