PDA

View Full Version : Elbow PV Problem (Maya)

phix314
11-13-2008, 02:44 AM
Being my first need-to-be-animated rig, I'm not 100% on the technicalities and workarounds for pole vectors, especially on a character like this. If I want to continue with this guy, I know he's going to need a lot of work, but besides that, it'll do for now.

All I'm looking for is a nice way of keeping the elbow/knee pole vectors in line with the joints until I need to move it off axis.

The PV curves are connected to the joint as the pole vector, and I have them grouped to themselves with the pivot on the elbow joint. Parent constraints seem to work OK, but I'm not sure. The plan is to dance, and I may have to change it to something less intense (which I might for the sake of keeping it simple), but movements such as arms around the back of the head, above the head, etc, are a bit of a pain cause the PV control doesn't move from it's zeroed position.

The rig is the digital tutors character setup rig. It's nice, but that pole vector problem seems overlooked.

MolemanSD7
11-13-2008, 04:18 PM
look into different control space switches for the ik control. Meaning, you can set up a series of constraints so that the controller and/ or pv control move with the head, hip, or nothing, etc. Then have a control to switch it. Shouldn't be too hard to setup.

otherwise, just use FK to hit those poses.

phix314
11-13-2008, 06:24 PM
Ok, so it's nothing super involved. I didn't think it would be, but thanks for the verification. :)

MolemanSD7
11-13-2008, 06:59 PM
if you look into the zooScripts, there is a way to setup switching in their tools. Its a nice rigging suite in general.

http://www.macaronikazoo.com/

CGTalk Moderation
11-13-2008, 06:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.