PDA

View Full Version : Cornelia

E_Moelzer
04-29-2002, 10:06 PM
Hello
This is the 3d- version of my real- existing girlfriend.
She was modeled and rendered with LightWave 7.0b without the use of any (hair-)plugins. Minor postprocessing in PS.
http://www.mediastudio-graz.com/images/cornelia2.jpg
Hope you like her.
Critics and suggestions are more than welcome...
CU
Elmar

Dark_Des
04-29-2002, 10:17 PM
Well, It's pretty great, your sasquatch hair is really good, maybe one of the best I've seen.

Good work:p

Dark_Des
04-29-2002, 10:19 PM
oops sorry, I haven't read all your comment (no plug :eek: ), well It's better than I thought, you're a killer

visionmaster
04-29-2002, 11:25 PM
i am jalous!
great great job.
i dont understand how you make hair..can you explain please?
the only critique i can done is that there is to much blur..
i like blur, but if the blur is so much present your model looks like a miniature one.
ps : can you post a picture of the original model ? :)
:applause:

Toeng.com
04-30-2002, 12:04 AM
OMG ... without plugin??? that is whacked ... how did you manage to do that??? the hair looks awesome.

AKIRA_x
04-30-2002, 01:01 AM
...guessing he did it the way we all did before...alpha channels.

btw...your girfriend is hot, and has something stuck up her nose! *s*

great work...

chesky Wang
04-30-2002, 08:09 AM
Without Plugin?terrible~
what about your file's size?
Good work.

xynaria
04-30-2002, 02:11 PM
Very impressive indeed. Great pose too. :)

tpe
04-30-2002, 02:20 PM
Very nice, especially the colouration on the skin and the hair, if it is not too much hassle i would like to see a closeup of the skin to see the texturing and a pic of your girlfriend, when i did mine it ended up very unflattering, even though it looked like her (dont tell her that though ;) ).

tpe

JuRrAsStOiL
04-30-2002, 11:13 PM
One word:
REALISTIC ! :eek: :eek: :buttrock:

But the sleeve looks a bit too static for cloth

diazgl
05-01-2002, 05:29 AM
well, two things to say really:
1-Congrats, cos you have a very beautiful girlfriend
2-Congrats, cos you are a very good modeller/texturer.

And now.....crit!!!
I'd like to see her cloths seem more realistic. I get what you're trying to show, but it needs work.
And, the specularity is very nice, but it needs work.
And her hand is very nice as well, but i think you should better go for a more soft and feminine hand (yours is a little rough).

PS: Does she have a sister, cousine, something?

Damien B
05-01-2002, 08:14 AM
come on tell us what you did for her hiar what simcloth
come on tell us:wavey:

E_Moelzer
05-01-2002, 06:05 PM
Hello everyone!
Thanks for all the kind words and suggestions.
The hair is pretty easy to do, if one knows how.
I needed quite along time to get the technique easy enough, so one can use it on all hair- needs we have. Basically it is based on UV- mapping and Subpatches. I am not a big fan of "use this plugin for that and this plugin for that"- workflow. So I decided to make the hair without Sasquatch. This gives a lot more control and works pretty well for most of our needs. It also works with raytraced shadows, reflection and refraction, which is very important IMHO.
However there are some drawbacks with this technique:
1st the rendertimes. Man those overlapping, semitransparent hair- layers boost up rendertimes in LW to a point where no reasonable production is possible! I really wished NewTek would look into that, when they find the time. Transparency is rendering very slow in LW and I am confident, that there is a lot of room for optimization left here.
One also has to use rather high Antialiasing as the fine structure of the hair- textures may lead to some bad artifacts otherwise.
I really hope NewTek will find way to get rid of Aliasing in textures one day...
Anyway, I spent a great deal of time optimizing the polyhair to render fast enough, while still looking like having enough volume...
Another drawback is, that it would be very hard to use this for fur on animals. Here I would rather use Sasquatch or a combination of techniques.
If one prefers Sasquatch for hair, this kind of hair is still very suitable for "proxies" for raytraced shadows and raytraced reflections.
I am also going to check out, what look I can get with a combination of this hair with Sasquatch- hair for more volume. Then less layers of polygon- hair are needed, which will certainly lower rendertimes, while still keeping most of the advantages of the polygon- hair. A tutorial on this hair- technique is in the making, I will announce it in the LightWave- section of the board, once it is finished.

Chesky, the filesize is OK (the whole object- file has about 2 MB), but the textures are eating a lot of memory. I have used many layers of textures for her, with loads of high- rez- images and a few procedurals as well. When I was pleased with the result, I decided to combine the alpha- maps into the textures and save them as 32bit TGAs, which helped a lot lowering the whole scene- size.

Concerning the DOF being to strong: I am not that good at camera- film- stuff, so I can't really comment on that. I just adjusted the settings until I was pleased with the look. So it may very well be to strong compared to a real camera... This is just normal LW- DOF, BTW.

The cloth: I was not relying on MotionDesigner here. So I am not really sure how it would behave in real world. It would have been a pain to make it slide down the arm (and fold) as it should without using MD and loads of control points. So I decided to live with that one, being not completely accurate.
If anyone here has some good tips on using MD for clothing and getting good results, I am all ears...
Diazgl, are you referring to the physical behavior of the clothing, or are you referring to the texturing/surfacing of the clothing not looking right? If it is the last one, I would be happy, if you could provide me with more detail, on what is not right here.
BTW, you are completely right about the hand! While looking at it again, I also felt that it looked a bit to hard (especially the folds on the palm and thumb). I will look into that and improve it where I can. Thanks a lot fo that tip!
Could you also be more precise on what is wrong with the specularity? I see, what you mean, but can't really define what exactly has to be changed.

Here is a wireframe of the model, for all of you wanting to take a look.
http://www.mediastudio-graz.com/images/screenshot1.jpg
BTW, yes my GF has a few sisters (5 in count!), but she is the most beautiful of the family :p
Thanks again to everyone, who threw in a comment/suggestion until now :)
CU
Elmar

diazgl
05-02-2002, 02:31 AM
well, on the cloth matter, I was referring to the texturing. I think the physics of the cloth are not realistic, but they don't mess up the picture at all (actually, I didn't notice anything wrong with the physics, until you mentioned it -i think it should be closer to the arm, resting on it somewhat).
On the texturing of the cloth, the cloth *seems* to have a noise for transparency (or clip map, whichever you used). I like the shapes on the cloth, they look really great, but the places on the cloth that don't have shapes, the fabric structure should be visible.
For the specularity, well, you got it really nice, so it's hard to say what EXACTLY is wrong, but there are some tiny details. I think there are places where the skin should be a little more oily -more specular- (i think the nose, cos usually MY nose is more oily than the rest of my face).
Oh, and REALLY great job on the hair, awesome result, i thought you were shitting us when you said no plugin!!!!

There is a small (bunch? i don't know the word) of hair, coming out of the top of her forehead that seem out of place.

DAMN, man, again great job. I bet your g/f is REALLY happy!!

UrbanFuturistic
05-02-2002, 05:18 AM
I don't see anything wrong with the DOF. It focuses attention perfectly on her face while still leaving enough detail around to see the general shape of her hand. If I have any crit, it's that the hair seems to 'smudge' or become more general and transparent (like it's become smeared) towards the end (to the left of her hand) rather than appearing to thin out as long hair does. OK, so the sleeve could hang a little more rather than being card like but I don't get what's supposed to be wrong with the hand either.

Oh hell, who am I to talk? You are so much better than me :D
regards, Paulhttp://homepage.ntlworld.com/odubtaig/smilies/coffee.gif

Playmobil
05-02-2002, 08:56 AM
impressive...

:surprised

:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.