PDA

View Full Version : Put an Image (logo) on a lambert ? but keep the color attribute of the lambert

AlexGT
11-12-2008, 08:24 AM
Hi,

I have a question here, i dont want to sound like a newbi, i aint one hehehe but i guess i got a newbi question, here it is:

How do we put a logo (image) on an object and still keeping the color attribute of the lambert material ?

I have created a character, he is all white cause i used a lambert material and i changed the color attribute to white, so i am satisfyed with this, but.... i need to put a logo on his chest, and i really dont know how to apply the image and still keeping the color attribute of the lambert, i tryed many recipes but ending with the loss of the white color attribute in the render. I know that i need to use an alpha image but i'm lost here, i tryed layered texture but same thing , not showing my specifically white lambert color attribute in the render. I tryed to do 2 images, 1 with the logo in color on a uv .iff file and another one in black and white on uv .iff file and mixted them one on one in the textured layer, but no good result.

So anybody have a solution ?

Thanks again for your cooperation

Bob

Dias
11-12-2008, 09:51 AM
Hi

- Open your logo file in Photoshop
- Make the shape of your logo white, everything else (background) black
- Save it with a different filename, like logo_alpha.tiff
- Assign this image to a Transparency value of your Lambert material
- Enjoy :)

AlexGT
11-12-2008, 05:54 PM
Sorry Dias but if i get your idea correctly, you told me to put the alpha image with the white shape on the transparency, if it's the idea that you gave me, i have done this things for many years now, it is really basic, it just gave me the logo on the object, and everything around the logo is transparent, i dont want that, i want to see everything around the logo, in other words, i want to see the rest of the object (character) but particularly the color value of the lambert material that i use on my character, but if you were thinking of another sort of transparency, be more precise please if not, than i need another advise please,

hope there's a solution because i had found the best way so far to achieve what i wanted about my character and the lighting and shadowing in mental ray for my character and the simple white color value on a lambert. So i dont want to re-work the lighting because it is too shiny on some area of my white character on a white background.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks again people

Emil3d
11-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Well, I just checked with a simple test scene all methods that I usually use to make sure it is not yet another bug but luckily this time it isn't and layered texture works fine here with Maya 2009. The other method using stencil and luminance nodes also works. And the third method for images with rectangular (file) shapes using simply the texture coverage and placement also works.
So to find out why it is not working for you you got to tell what you are using and exactly how you do it. I always use one texture file with alpha mask, but using two separate files should make no difference I suppose.

CGTalk Moderation
11-12-2008, 07:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.