PDA

View Full Version : Steampunk Myths and Legends Entry: J.C. Coelho

Spin99
11-11-2008, 07:01 PM
J.C. Coelho has entered "Steampunk Myths and Legends".

Spin99
11-11-2008, 07:02 PM
OK thinking of Odin riding the steampunk version of Sleipnir and
his two ravens as they enter Valhalla. Of course with all due respect for Paganism.
Here's some quotes.Odin has a number of magical artifacts associated with him: the spear Gungnir, which never misses its target; a magical gold ring (Draupnir), from which every ninth night eight new rings appear; and two ravens Huginn and Muninn (Thought and Memory), who fly around Earth daily and report the happenings of the world to Odin in Valhalla at night. He also owned Sleipnir, an octopedal horse, who was given to Odin by Loki, and the severed head of Mímir, which foretold the future. He also commands a pair of wolves named Geri and Freki, to whom he gives his food in Valhalla since he consumes nothing but mead or wine. From his throne, Hlidskjalf (located in Valaskjalf), Odin could see everything that occurred in the universe. The Valknut (slain warrior's knot) is a symbol associated with Odin. It consists of three interlaced triangles.Octopedal steam powered horse mm
Of course Odin himself probably riding on his back. Odin would also appear on the battle-field, sitting upon his eight-legged horse Sleipnir, with his two ravens, one on each shoulder, Hugin (Thought) and Munin (Memory), and two wolves(Geri and Freki) on each side of him.

Odin is also associated with trickery, cunning, and deception. Most sagas have tales of Odin using his cunning to overcome adversaries and achieve his goals, such as swindling the blood of Kvasir from the dwarves. Óđinn’s horse Sleipnir could carry him to the Underworld.5 Verrier Elwin
has noted that the Muria people’s shaman hold a belief about being
carried to another world on the back of an eight-legged horse
(Elwin 1947: 150). This belief contains many parallels to the Teutonic
tales about Sleipnir.

Furthermore, Elwin also recognised that
the Muria people have created mythicised songs about this type of
voyage. These songs probably represent the same theological processes
as a Teutonic song, such as Baldrs draumar.

Quotes from Wikipedia.

Ferx
11-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Hey J.C.

Cool to see you in this challenge :D Good luck !! Cheers !! :beer:

Spin99
11-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Heh I found a cool Icelandic legend on one of the inspiration links.
This is what I got from the Olde English (arghh)

THE STORY OF GUNNLAUG THE WORM-TONGUE AND RAVEN THE SKALD

Thorstein, the son of Egil had a prophetic dream during travel.
He was at home at Burg when he looked at the roof and saw a fair swan.
An eagle swept down and landed beside the swan as they chuckled lovingly.
Then another eagle came from the South and equally sat with the swan.

They both ruffled and fought until tumbling dead either way from the house roof.
The swan was left sad and alone. Then a falcon came from the West and flew away with the swan.

The dream was then interpreted by a man from the East that leaves after telling about Thorstein's daugther being the swan and the eagles being high-born men. They fight over her and both lose their lives. Thereafter a third man weds his daugther.

So the life story of Helga the Fair (the swan) Thorstein's daughter unfolds.
Gunnlaug and Raven fulfill the prophecy as they kill each other taking the role of the eagles. Afterwards she marries Thorkel (the falcon), and much sad she hangs on to a cloak Gunnlaug gave her.

And so one day she dies of illness at her late husband's lap.I still prefer the idea of doing Odin's 8-legged horse though.
Somehow these Nordic legends really do it for me :buttrock:

Spin99
11-14-2008, 07:03 PM
I don't think I'll do Odin as such but maybe Odhin, the punk makeover version.
With his long leather jacket, doc martens, cyber eye, chains, hi tech spear etc etc
And then the steam powered horse Slepnnir and maybe even clockwork ravens (?)

That way I get to not touch norse mythology but instead get inspired by it.
So I'll start sketching sometime. Should I change his name altogether?
I just don't want to offend ancient history and tradition with the cyberpunk thing.

And no one working on the steam Viking ship yet?

Spin99
11-22-2008, 08:11 PM
If there haven't been any updates and it looks like I quit, maybe you're right.
I just couldn't resist joining since I really like the theme but.. I'm not very confident in the work I can produce with XSI at this stage.. and there are a couple of personal projects I've been delaying for a long time.

So maybe I'll be spending any free time trying to finish up stuff I've started in the past, or maybe I'll be on something new altogether that doesn't really fit with the competition theme.
Any case I think I'm skipping this challenge and hoping to be able to join the next one.

I'll feel more ready for this next time. Love Norse legends and the Steampunk category anyway. Sorry if I disappointed anyone and good luck everybody.

CGTalk Moderation
11-22-2008, 08:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.