PDA

View Full Version : Steampunk Myths and Legends Entry: Tiziano Baracchi

Thaldir
11-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Tiziano Baracchi is entered in the "Steampunk Myths and Legends" update: View Challenge Page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/steampunk/view_entries.php?challenger=15779)

Latest Update: Work In Progress: chugging on
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/22/15779/15779_1228083393_medium.jpg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5531699#post5531699)

Thaldir
11-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Every time after a challenge ends I look at my entry and tell myself that it is not among my best pieces...
...And yet, as soon I see that a new challenge is announced, I cannot help but enter immediately, I guess I'm addicted. ;)

Glad to be in the melee with you all, one thing is for sure, it will be fun. :)

As soon as I saw the topic (a very interesting one, BTW, broad but defined) the myth of Hephaestus came to mind: it is said that the smith-god made automata of gold and silver in the shape of beautiful girls to be his servants (alternatively he made automata to help him in his forge), I think this story almost begs for a steam-punk twist.

MartinNielsen
11-11-2008, 07:04 PM
No challenge without Thaldir :) Welcome back. And yes, this topic is very interesting.

Ferx
11-11-2008, 08:15 PM
Hey Tiziano,

Cool to see you in this new one. Of course a challenge with you is not the same :D Have a lot of fun with this and your first idea sounds really cool. Good luck! Cheers!!

Ivy00
11-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Hi Tiziano, glad to see you enter. I can't wait to see you get a start on your idea :) Good luck

nwiz25
11-11-2008, 08:42 PM
howdy bro!! :scream:

new challenge ... sleepless nights ... beer ( or coffee :D ) ...

yup ... we're home :applause:

i wish you good luck Tiz! me really waiting to see what you gonna weave this time! :p
have fun! :bounce:

Donglu-LittleFish
11-12-2008, 05:16 PM
My great pleasure to join another challenge with you! All the best!

Thaldir
11-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Martin, Fernando, Linda, Nevs, Donglu, it's a great pleasure to be in with you all from the beginning, it really feels like a school reunion of the best kind :D

Challenges are intersting, but it is the community that makes them addictive. :)

Can't wait to see what you'll come up with. With my usual perfect timing I had just started a personal piece when the challenge was announced, but that one shouldn't take long and as soon as I'm done I'll start working on Hephaestus' forge.

OKMER
11-13-2008, 12:17 AM
HI Tiziano!!Glad you're addicted too!:D!!!HAppy to see you around again!Good luck my friend!

scala
11-13-2008, 05:00 AM
Hi Tiziano I'm sure it's gonna be beautiful like usual ! Good luck ! Cheers Eric

SteevieWoo
11-13-2008, 06:14 AM
Hellooooooo Tizano Buddy!!! Great to see you around again!

Your Hephaestus idea is really cool! his myth was way ahead of his time I think, Y' know being the phisical oposite to god-like perfection and all that. and then his creatons...
I'll enjoy visiting your thread.... a lot....:thumbsup:

guterrez
11-13-2008, 08:30 AM
hey man, best of luck from me!
guess I share your euphoria and enter right away^^
cheers

Thaldir
11-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Wow what a welcome! Thank you all, my friends it's great to be in the arena with you.

" Once more upon the breach my friends!"
... Glances around to see if there were witnesses at this embarassing Laurence Olivier impersonation...

And just so that the thread isn't left empty of images any longer, first thumbnail will come just about now.

Thaldir
11-13-2008, 10:41 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/22/15779/15779_1226616087_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/22/15779/15779_1226616087_large.jpg)

This is the first image that came to my mind when thinking about the topic, the forge-god staring at one of his creations, one of the silver-and-gold handmaidens.

I plan on making a few other sketches before setting on a composition, I've already settled on a warm palette, though in the tones of bronze, copper and brass

mdavid
11-13-2008, 11:03 PM
Excellent! You're in another challenge and you've already started sketching. I'm always amazed and super-impressed by your work and can see that this time will be no exception. Good luck, buddy. Nice idea too

MartinNielsen
11-13-2008, 11:54 PM
And you're on the road :) Nice drawing. But hey! I see no foxy chick this time? ;)

walrus
11-14-2008, 12:00 AM
Good to see you back, Thaldir. But there's no sexy woman in this concept... What have you done with the REAL Tiziano?! :)

Thaldir
11-14-2008, 01:10 PM
LOL, gentlemen!

Well, the automaton will be female, and she'll be estethically pleasing (at least that's the intention), my guess, though, is that, after his disaster of a marriage with Aphrodites, poor Hephaestus would steer clear of 'foxy' girls ;) .

Neubius
11-14-2008, 02:41 PM
howdy mate ! :)

great start. this is going to be fun :)

A

Ferx
11-14-2008, 08:19 PM
Hey Tiziano,

Really cool start :D, like a lot your idea on Hephaestus, have great potential. The sketch looks great with the warm palette that you used, ( and like a lot your loose draw, nice ! ) :D Cheers!! :beer:

Thaldir
11-15-2008, 12:07 PM
Neubius and Ferx, thank you! Glad you like the idea. :)

Automaticman
11-16-2008, 08:53 AM
Nice work so far. i Am also looking at doing a piece based on the Hephaestus legend.

Glad to see the image captured some one elses imagination.

Good luck

musi
11-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Hi Tiziano,

Glad to see you again, my friend!
Guess what, this time around I will try doing some 2d - and that's largely because of your influence. Remember you showed me the paint over of the eye? I was so impressed that wanted to do it myself ever since (though not sure anything sensible will come out).

Great idea with the forge-god and his creations! Like the color palette too. Can't wait to see the wip!!!

Good luck!

nwiz25
11-16-2008, 11:56 AM
bro .. seeing your first color concept really gets the juices flowing :p ...
curiously waiting for the next update! good luck Tiz! :thumbsup:

RicoD
11-16-2008, 04:37 PM
Hey Tiziano! I knew I'd find you here somewhere! I'm expecting something good from you again, so subscribing to your thread. Best of luck !

CGriffin
11-17-2008, 02:09 AM
Hey, cool concept, Tiziano! I'm afraid I don't have enough time to try this challenge, but maaaan, I'm tempted. Lotsa friends doing this. I might just have to give it a whirl! It's a big, uber-talented pond to swim in, but at the very least, I'll learn a thing or two. Hmmmm...

Anywho, I'll be watching you! Best of luck!

Cris

Korline
11-17-2008, 03:08 AM
nice little pen work, very cool, cheers

NinjaA55N
11-17-2008, 02:11 PM
hi there! I really like the color scheme. I think as well that the steampunk was much about bronze and gold so it will fit nicely with the theme. Waiting for next composition sketches, best of luck!

Donglu-LittleFish
11-17-2008, 05:17 PM
Really nice concept and I can already see lot of potential in it! keep it up! :)

Thaldir
11-17-2008, 08:44 PM
Automaticman Thank you and good luck to you too, I'm curious about your take on him. :)

Musi you are paying me an enormous compliment, my friend, I'm at your disposal if needed. Good luck to you!

nwiz25 hey, Nevs! We share a pantheon it seems ;) looking forward to your Artemis and unicorn. Good luck!

RicoD Hey, Rico! Great to see you. :). Yes, when all is said and done the lure of the challenge is impossible to resist. Good luck to you too!

CGriffin Well, well look who's here :). My advice is just one, Cris,try it. Every time I debate for a while about entering and then...I guess I'm addicted. The feeling of the community during a Challenge is umbeatable and I've always learned a lot to boot.

Korline Thank you very much!

NinjaA55N Hi, Blaz! Yes, when I read about Ephaestus' bronze home in addiction to the golden handmaiden it just clicked for me, hopefully I'll do it justice. Good luck to you, more sketches to come soon.

Donglu-LittleFish Thanks, Donglu! If all goes according to plan I'll work on more sketches in the weekend, and then all visitors to the thread will be drafted into jury work, you have been warned! (insert evil-overlord-style laugh).

sasquatch70
11-18-2008, 05:47 AM
Hey Tiziano,

Glad to have you back. Man there's some heavy hitters this time around. Everyones entries looks incredible, your's is no exception. Looking forward to your next post. Great subject matter by the way. I need to read more.LOL
Take care,
Brad

Thaldir
11-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Yes, heavy hitters indeed (and some leviathans, too). Thanks, for the compliment, Brad, it is very appreciated but I feel more like a feather, tough... to be swept away by the storm of such talent :D .

I'm planning to post a couple more ideas of the same theme this weekend, after finishing a personal work in progress right now.

keraj37
11-18-2008, 07:33 PM
concept looks intresting! Good luck!

Thaldir
11-18-2008, 09:39 PM
Thank you very much!

Nekomouse
11-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Hey Thaldir,
Awesome to see you entering again!
I don't think I'm going to be able to make this one, seeing as we are going overseas with baby to see the great-grandparents.
I'll definitely be keeping an eye on your wonderful work and be cheering you all the way!

Thaldir
11-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Hey, Bronwen! Thanks for stopping by :love:. Sorry that you won't be in this time, but at least it is because of a pleasant reason...looking forward to your imput when you can. :)

I'll update with another sketch later today, meanwhile, if anyone is curious, the personal piece I was working on is finished and posted in the showcase gallery, here:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=699979

Thaldir
11-26-2008, 10:16 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/22/15779/15779_1227737775_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/22/15779/15779_1227737775_large.jpg)

A bit late (installing my new PC got in the way) but here comes the second composition sketch.
There are things I like here, mostly the composition, but I think that, even as a sketch it lacks in the 'steam' department, I'll work more on that in the next one, at the moment I think I needed to 'get rid' somehow of cyberpunkish elements.

MartinNielsen
11-26-2008, 11:32 PM
Ah! Now we can recognize your work again with those female attributes. Looking good, ace :thumbsup:

Ferx
11-27-2008, 12:27 AM
Hey Tiziano,

Congrats for your new computer :D we are missing you my friend :)

That sketch looks really cool, like the composition on it :D Maybe you can try a bit more vertical canvas and adding steam machinery on the upper part, only a comment :) Cheers!! :beer:

Thaldir
11-27-2008, 11:54 AM
@ MartinNielsen: Thanks !

@ Ferx: Got the point. I will definitely try to give more "air" (steam ? ;) ) on the top on this one, thank you, Fernando.

I will now sketch down a couple more different compositions and then decide "THE ONE".

LORDvesalius
11-28-2008, 03:51 AM
Hi Tiziano, great concept!
i agree with ferx about the vertical layout (and it seems that the composition will fit almost exactly in a "golden mean" layout... very interesting to explore).

Just a suggestion about the hammer: if Hephaistos is a "steamer" wouldn't he bear a wrench, or another tool, instead of a hammer? just an idea.

I'm subscribing this thread, i'll look forward for more wips!

Thaldir
11-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Gracias, Pablo. The suggestions are definitely appreciated, good point about the hammer, I'm thinking of a spanner instead.

At the end I didn't do any more sketches, I realized I really like the composition of this one...

Thaldir
11-28-2008, 08:41 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/22/15779/15779_1227904869_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/22/15779/15779_1227904869_large.jpg)

Here it is, a revised version of sketch 2. It is likely that it will change a bit before I set to paint it, for instance I was thinking of having the god use a crutch (likely he'll have the spanner in the other hand and the crutch under the right arm on the side of the prosthetic leg.

Nekomouse
11-29-2008, 12:11 AM
Hey Thaldir,
I was thinking about what you said about transferring your usual cyberpunk style into steampunk, so my husband and I came up with a few concrete attributes which can signal to the viewer that it's steampunk. I hope you don't mind?

* Glass tubes with coloured liquids instead of those wires from her
* Copper and bronze instead of chrome or steel (which you have done)
* Valves and clockwork cogs
* Victorian or gothic style clothes

I was looking at the background and thinking that, to me, it seemed very industrial? What about trying something like a Victorian era smoking room? All done in dark wood and maroon/violet velvet with a fireplace lit with a blue or green flame? It should act as a really nice contrast to the warm colours you have in the foreground and still jolt the viewer out of any assumptions that he/she is looking at a cyberpunk piece?

Hope that helps, and awesome work Thaldir!
Bronwen

Thaldir
11-29-2008, 01:05 PM
WOw, Bronwen! Thank you so much to you and your husband for the awesome suggestions.:love:

* Glass tubes with coloured liquids instead of those wires from her

Some glass with colored liquids will be placed somewhere, those tubes though are flexible brass ones similar to this http://www.pecoelect.com/ (it will be clearer later on, at the moment I didn't elaborate on the details).

* Copper and bronze instead of chrome or steel

Absolutely :). No chrome or steel in sight.

* Valves and clockwork cogs

Working on those right now :)

* Victorian or gothic style clothes

At the start I thought of going with those, then I read somewhere in the FAQ that the idea behind the Challenge is to give a spin to Steam-punk taking it out of Victorian times, so Haephesus will wear either a loincloth or a short tunic, Ancient Greek style.

Landscape, I hear you. It definitely will change, probably we'll see some tools and behind Doric Style brass or copper columns, maybe with Olympus in the farthest plane.

Hope you'll like the next steps :)

Thaldir
11-29-2008, 05:21 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/22/15779/15779_1227979270_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/22/15779/15779_1227979270_large.jpg)

This is the basic model for the gear/machine the robot handmaiden is linked to. It's very basic (I can hear you 3d artist chuckling ;) ) but it's my very first 3d model. Made with Autocad, a program I use normally for my day-job (in 2D) but whose 3D options I've never explored before today...

Thaldir
11-30-2008, 10:16 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/22/15779/15779_1228083393_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/22/15779/15779_1228083393_large.jpg)

Out visiting relatives today, so my time on the Challenge was limited, however I have managed to decide the POV and the lighting.
This is quite a new experience for me but I'm enjoying the ride (no, it won't be full 3D, more or less the 3D stage is equivalent to my usual line-art stage).

Nekomouse
12-08-2008, 10:29 AM
Looking good Thaldir! :thumbsup:
I love the warm colours and dynamic POV. I'm looking forward to seeing more when you have the time.

Thaldir
12-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Thanks, Nekomouse ! Sadly, I have lost inspiration & motivation on this challenge and I don't know if I will finish it :sad: .

BTW, new commissions are on my workbench now (always great news !) and so I'm redirecting all my creative energy there :arteest:.

CGTalk Moderation
12-08-2008, 03:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.