PDA

View Full Version : Steampunk Myths and Legends Entry: Matt Ellis

Matellis
11-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Matt Ellis is entered in the "Steampunk Myths and Legends" update: View Challenge Page (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/steampunk/view_entries.php?challenger=15731)

Latest Update: Concept / pre-visualization: Character Style Guide
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/22/15731/15731_1229567598_medium.jpg (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5567573#post5567573)

Squibbit
11-11-2008, 02:49 PM
heya Matt, have fun dude

Matellis
11-11-2008, 03:09 PM
This is going to be a great time. I really love the theme for this challenge.

Right now I am trying to decide if I want to take the serious or humorous approach. Then I will start looking for interesting myths :) And then sketch like a mad man!

Hopefully i will have some updates soon

paperclip
11-11-2008, 03:15 PM
When in doubt, make us lol. :D

Glad to see you around- will we be seeing matte paintings from you?

Matellis
11-11-2008, 03:23 PM
Hey Theresa

I think I might add some matte painting elements to the background in my image but I really want to focus on character work and creating emotion with this painting as I havent done that im any of my images in a long time (if ever). So i am excited but also scared! :argh:

Should be fun none the less though!

eyecon
11-11-2008, 03:23 PM
There you are! Great so theres two of us here so far eh? This would be fun! :applause:

Ivy00
11-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Hi Matt :) good to see you entering this , good luck and can't wait to see which approach you decide to take. I am partial to the humorous approach , but that is just because I think I might be a bit twisted.

Matellis
11-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Thanks Linda! I am leaning towards humor in this painting just because I love paintings that have some elements of comedy.

Here are a couple myths that I have found interesting so far.

1.Valhalla | Norse Mythology

Valhalla is the great hall of the Einherjar - the heroic dead. Warriors who died in glorious battle were chosen by Odin to wait in Valhalla until Ragnarok.

The large strucure, built by Odin himself in Asgard, had over five hundred doors, each large enough for eight hundred warriors to march out of at the time of Ragnarok so that they could fight the futile battle with the gods.

Valhalla was the heaven of the Vikings - a large hall where wounds healed quickly and meat was readily available. A constant routine of fighting and feasting ensured that the warriors were at their physical peak when Ragnarok came.

2.The Phoenix | Greek Mythology

The Phoenix is a great mythical bird. The creature lives for 500 years, and when it's lifespan ends it sets itself aflame. From it's ashes, a new phoenix is born. The Phoenix is a symbol of rebirth, ressurection or renewal in many mythologies.

edit: text found at ancient-mythology.com

MichaelZHsee
11-11-2008, 04:06 PM
nice going matt,uve started to crackalac,im going to enjoy ur entry:D

Matellis
11-13-2008, 10:13 PM
Hey thanks Michael!

I decided on a topic for my painting. I will recreate the great hall Valhalla "Hall of the Slain".

Valhalla | Norse Mythology

Valhalla is the great hall of the Einherjar - the heroic dead. Warriors who died in glorious battle were chosen by Odin to wait in Valhalla until Ragnarok.

The large strucure, built by Odin himself in Asgard, had over five hundred doors, each large enough for eight hundred warriors to march out of at the time of Ragnarok so that they could fight the futile battle with the gods.

Valhalla was the heaven of the Vikings - a large hall where wounds healed quickly and meat was readily available. A constant routine of fighting and feasting ensured that the warriors were at their physical peak when Ragnarok came.

(Text from www.ancient-mythology.com )

So the plan is to make this great hall but filled with many worriors feasting, drinking and having a good time. Roaring fires, big beer kegs and lots of steampunk elements such at their armor and the hall itself (steam powered doors and so on)

Now on to concepting!

snake08
11-13-2008, 10:25 PM
Dude don't get drunk while doing this one lol Thanks for inspiring me to join this challenge man, cant wait to see your work.

Dennik
11-14-2008, 05:36 PM
Hey Matt. Looking forward to see your work.
I'm sure you'll do great!

Matellis
11-14-2008, 10:50 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/22/15731/15731_1226706646_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/22/15731/15731_1226706646_large.jpg)

Hey guys!

Here is my first attempt at a rough wip. I also changed the story up as well.

I have lots of changes to make to the composition I think but I thought I would post it up and maybe get some feedback.

Thanks

Squibbit
11-14-2008, 10:55 PM
nice :thumbsup:

paperclip
11-14-2008, 11:58 PM
Looking cool so far:D Can't wait to see colors....I want to see the valhalla concept though. :twisted:

kaparo
11-15-2008, 12:37 AM
Hi there,
Great mood and environment. Very captivating as all of your work. Can't wait to see how this will be developed. Good luck!

Ferx
11-15-2008, 02:09 AM
Hey Matt,

Really awesome first sketch :D Like the enviroment on it, and your concept is really original, the myths and legends nested on your image, cool !! Good luck mate, and looking forward for more updates on your concept!. Cheers!! :beer:

Canche
11-15-2008, 03:45 AM
I love it. the idea of putting it as a newspaper article is pretty neat. i was actually going to do something like that, by putting the image in an old frame. I also like the render of the image. Did you use a reference for the lighting?

sasquatch70
11-15-2008, 04:43 AM
Hello Matt,

Great idea. I think it would be cool to see a closer view of the stage, and the sets on the stage. Maybe an over the shoulder shot of the crowd looking at the presentation. Just a thought. Awesome start sir.

Brad

MartinNielsen
11-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Very nice work and idea :) The newspaper idea is a nice touch as well.

GonzaloGolpe
11-15-2008, 04:56 PM
Looking forward to your artwork process dude.

Good energy! :D

Matellis
11-15-2008, 06:22 PM
Squibbit: thanks man!

paperclip: thanks :) once I get the final composition worked out I will start playing around with color. It should be fun! Valhalla does sound like a good idea and would be a blast to create but I think im going to stick with this one :)

kaparo: hey I am glad you like it and my other work :)

Ferx: hey thanks for the comment! When i really started thinking about ideas yesterday I really thought about making something thats a bit different so its really good to hear that it is coming across that way. Cheers!

Canche: I am glad you like it and the newspapper idea. I dont this I will have the newspaper style for the finished peice. Right now the main purpose for that is just to explain whats going on in that really rough sketch. I havent used any reference for the lighting yet. I was pretty much just throwing down some values. But I play to use the lighting from the little stage there to hopefully guide the views eyes from the extream foreground to the robots depicting the myth.

sasquatch70: I agree, one thing i will be doing hopefully this weekend is to maybe put the entertainers cart closer to the camera with a better position. Right now it is competing with the background so i will have to change that. Thanks for the crit :)

MartinNielsen: thanks!

GonzaloGolpe: I hope it turns out of, I am very new to character work so I can imagine some stress ahead. But it is something I really should learn.

Hopefully I will have an update soon guys! thanks for the comments :D

ace4016
11-15-2008, 08:09 PM
Good luck matt; can't wait to see more updates :D

RicoD
11-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Nice mood you set there Matt! Looking forward to seeing what you're going with. Good luck !

MichaelZHsee
11-16-2008, 09:47 PM
sweet jezz,thats very nice concept and the sketch is awesome.awaiting to see more bro!:)

Matellis
11-17-2008, 04:25 AM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/22/15731/15731_1226899539_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/22/15731/15731_1226899539_large.jpg)

Hey everyone!

Again thanks for all the comments :)

Here is an update. I am just playing around with a color palette right now. Also adding in some basic details in before I up res and get into the detailing. Once I am happy with the basic environment I will start on the characters.

mordecaidesign
11-17-2008, 04:35 AM
Ahh dang. Ellis has joined up? It's over already. :cool:

Loving the painting so far. Looking forward to updates.

snake08
11-17-2008, 04:41 AM
looking good mang... wait for me lolol

ace4016
11-17-2008, 11:40 PM
Hm, just a little critique from me: I like the concept but I think the perspective could be slightly rotated to show a bit more of what's going on on the stage as well as a bit closer (without losing too much of the area the crowd will be in). Maybe even have a distinguishable scene going on in the stage area people will most likely pick up on. Just doesn't seem like the focus is on the main subject, but maybe that's just me.

Painting looks great so far, just a little critique on the composition. Keep on coming with the updates:bounce:

SpetsK
11-29-2008, 03:01 PM
Hi Matt! Where are the updates? ;)
Good to see you in challenge. Good luck!

kaparo
11-30-2008, 05:45 PM
This is looking even better every time. This device is really great. Can't wait to see the scene populated. Keep up the good work!

mrpeace
12-02-2008, 03:12 AM
Good idea. It would have been good if you were to show whats going on onstage!:hmm:

Keep it up!

AUMAKUA
12-02-2008, 06:22 AM
Looking great, quite cinematic!

Matellis
12-02-2008, 12:25 PM
mordecaidesign: lol its far from over! thanks for the comment!

snake08: Man I cant wait up , you have to hurry up! lets see some sketches!

ace4016: Hey thanks for the crit man and I totally agree with you. I decided that I am going to do a jungle book theme for this painting , I will have the scene not just taking place in the carrage but also the robotic animals outside on the road. So I have to start designing some monkeys , a bear, a snake and maybe the little boy.

SpetsK: So updates will come soon :) I just moved so things have been a little hectic and I dont have the internet yet. I do have some updates ccoming soon though!

kaparo, mrpeace and AUMAKUA: thanks a lot!

Updates coming soon guys , thanks again for the comments :)

Matellis
12-15-2008, 11:59 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/22/15731/15731_1229389184_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/22/15731/15731_1229389184_large.jpg)

Hey guys!

I finally have the internet back. I have been really busy with moving, work and doing xmas portraits so I havent had much time to work on the challenge. Here is a little update of it so far. Still not very much character work going on yet but I hope that will change soon depending on my free time. I am not sure what version of the background to go with so i though I would post it up and maybe get some feedback.

Thanks guys!

authentic
12-16-2008, 07:27 AM
According to me the 2nd one, more open, is better. It let the reader breath and give to your character a sort of lonelyness really interesting. On an other hand, the 1st one focus more on the creature beside. SO it depends on your story telling, but if I have to talk just about the picture, not the story, I prefer the bottom one.

kaparo
12-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Hi Matt,

I always tend to associate the steampunk themes with a dark moody atmosphere, so if I had to choose I would prefer a less open and clear space. I think the tall houses gives a strong sense of perspective that is missing with the open space variation. On the other hand I love the ships on the open scene. Maybe if you make them huge, with tall steamy chimneys instead of sails you could bring both ideas together. Good luck!

Matellis
12-18-2008, 12:15 AM
authentic: Thanks for the comment Vincent. I think I will focus on the second one and try to build the character composition to fit the scene so that the characters are the main focus. I agree about the open sky and it should be good practise creating an interesting sky. Thanks for the input, I have a lot of respect for your work.

Antonio: hey man. Thanks for the crits. When I posted that second rough thumbnail I thought I would add the whole steampunk theme to the entire scene, but now I am thinking that I would limit that to just the entertainers cart. So that it stood out that hes the one creating the steam powered tech and thats why everyone is amazed. I will make the ships a lot bigger and hopefully the large sails will help get that perspective back on that right side.Thanks for the help :)

Also I am changing the story for this one a bit to make it a little more sinister. The entertainer is more of a comic book villian. Where he leads the people to believe that they are going to see a nice show about the jungle book but instead he is unleasing his robot animals onto the town. I have one idea where one of the apes will be distracting a little boy and another ape will be stealing a lolly pop from his jacket. I hope to have many more little storys with characters going on as well.

Thanks again for the help guys!

Jason Ogg
12-18-2008, 12:32 AM
Where are people, there must be CITY.
But seriously. On the upper one there is more sense of space...
...and for me Steampunk is associated closly with city.
The UPPER ONE

keep up the good work

Matellis
12-18-2008, 01:33 AM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/22/15731/15731_1229567598_medium.jpg (http://assets.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/22/15731/15731_1229567598_large.jpg)

haha yeah there is not much character work going on yet Jason. Right now its a few blobs of paint but thats my main focus for the next week or so.

I love Norman Rockwells character work so I am going to use his style as somewhat of a guide. I will not copy his style but hopefully I can use his amazing work as a good point to get the creative juices flowing.

Picture from www.myfreewallpapers.net

CGTalk Moderation
12-18-2008, 01:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.