PDA

View Full Version : duel screen display :/

mikesnail
04-29-2002, 06:12 PM
hi, i have a geforce4 4400Ti .....

[URL=http://www.hothardware.com/reviews/images/vtgf4ti4400/boardconns.htm]

i want to run two monitors off it, but as u can see it only has one vga output, can someone explain to me how this works (as simply as possible!:shrug: ). thanks a lot

3DMadness
04-29-2002, 11:34 PM
Hi!

Your card have a VGA, a S-VHS and DVI output. This last one is meant to be used with LCD monitors but you can buy a DVI-VGA adapter and plug a CRT monitor on it. Then go dual! :beer:
Cheers!

Flávio

UrbanFuturistic
04-29-2002, 11:54 PM
Duel? So you slap me with your mitt? Pistols at dawn I say! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

That is of course unless you meant dual.
regards, the ever pedantic Paulhttp://homepage.ntlworld.com/odubtaig/smilies/coffee.gif

Sieb
05-02-2002, 06:56 AM
You can run dual output either with the VGA and S-Video (to a tv) or use the DVI to a real LCD screen, or you can go to Belkin.com and find their DVI-VGA converter. I know there are places that sell them cheaper but not as easy to get.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Product_Id=105343

Technically, IIRC, the three little pins on the DVI connector are the only ones used for VGA. Belkin also has a cheaper version if you search for one. And I think, had you gotten the 4600Ti, it comes with two DVI-VGA connectors since both connectors on the card are DVI. ATI got it right the first time with their Radeon VEs though.. hehe..

merlin9876
05-02-2002, 07:51 AM
I'm interested to know how well two monitors on a 4400 or 4600 run? Are the performance required to output to two monitors a lot less than having only one? Would getting a cheap second card be better or does the GeForce 4 manage it without a hitch?

Sieb
05-02-2002, 09:32 AM
GF4s have both heads accelerated so they don't cause degration. Older cards like the GF2MX400 DHPro were dual heads, but only one was accelerated, the other head just outputed an image but had no direct 3d or openGL piped through it. From what I would assume, and have heard, the 4400 and 4600 are pretty bad ass, 300 or more MHz cor and 128megs of DDR with programable vectors and all that mumbo jumbo. The 4400 and 4600 work just as well as the more expensive cards like wildcats do with dual monitors. Obviously not performance wise since game cards dont come with the entire openGL support like real CAD cards do.

There are no constraints to running dual monitors or not off these cards, both heads can run independent resolutions so they have the same resolution limitations as if they were just a single head. The only way you can run dual video cards to dual monitors and get resonable performance if if they are both PCI, otherwise one is on the AGP and the other is on the standard PCI bus. Some programs dont like that. I tried that once without any success just because the way the Nvidia drivers were setup, they wouldn't allow the computer to run the second card. (Then again, that was a dual head DHpro with a PCI MX400) I think its the newest wildcat that uses both AGP and PCI for its high roller card though because its so freakin big.

Unless you are really into 3d work, getting the 4400 or 4600 would do just fine. Anything spectacular and within a timeframe will require some serious rendering hardware since game cards are meant for poly pumpin speed and CAD cards are meant for quality and efficiency.

merlin9876
05-02-2002, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the nice and complete info!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.