PDA

View Full Version : Steampunk Myths and Legends Entry: Erin Munkacsy

M31
11-11-2008, 01:28 PM
Erin Munkacsy has entered "Steampunk Myths and Legends".

TerryTrefry
11-12-2008, 06:59 AM
I can't wait to see what you do with this challenge. I'm sure it will be fantastic.

M31
11-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Thank you for the vote of confidence! :)

Okay, I've been looking at lots of steampunk art and styles, and reviewing myths to see what I might want to do. I'm thinking gothic neo-victorian style, nearly monochromatic with touches of intense color. I want to do something centered around a guy and a girl. The steampunk technology elements will most likely be in a vehicle they are riding, a weapon, and/or a monster that they are fighting. Here are my current ideas:

1) Perseus and Andromeda: Perseus will be riding a steam-Pegasus or motorcyle-style dirigible. The monster will be steam-powered. I like this idea, although it would be nice for the girl to have a larger role than damsel-in-distress.

2) Beauty and the Beast (or the Bot?): Instead of being turned into a beast, the prince has been turned into a robot, and can only be human again when he learns to love another and earns her love in return.

3) Apollo and Daphne: Instead of turning into a tree, she is turning into a robot.

4) On a different line, Prometheus is bringing steam technology to the people. In the distance, you see Zeus's steam-powered eagle coming to take him.

Intervain
11-14-2008, 03:25 PM
sounds good - and I like that Prometus vs Zeus idea hehe Best of luck!

maksy
11-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Nice ideas, I like the third one most :thumbsup:

Niall
11-15-2008, 05:14 PM
Hi, nice Idea, i like beauty n the beast, love that story tho, hehehe

M31
11-16-2008, 05:12 AM
No, no, you're supposed to all pick the same one so that I know which one to go with! :p

Seriously, thank you for the input, Intervain, Maksy, and Niall! :)

Okay, I have eliminated option 3, as the others interest me more. I've done some roughs (very rough, I know) of options 1 and 2. I have not yet discovered a composition that I like for option 4 -- more elements to orchestrate -- but I hope to post something for that soon.

Perseus rescuing Andromeda:

I had forgotton that it was not Perseus who rode Pegasus; instead he borrowed Hermes' winged sandals and Hades' cap of invisibility. These elements would be mechanical in this piece, as well as the monster. Here Perseus and Andromeda are exchanging a glance as Perseus swoops down to slay the monster. Would it be better if he were looking toward the monster?

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/6884/perseusandromeda01rh9.jpg

The Beast/Bot is dying. Beauty is weeping, realizing too late that she truly does love him. But it is not too late; the spell has been broken and he is transforming back into a man.

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/8917/beautyandthebeast01en3.jpg

Let me know what you think! :)

Amirgdx5
11-16-2008, 06:19 AM
I go with #4 :thumbsup: :arteest:

AndreiSzasz
11-17-2008, 11:25 AM
hey Erin !
waiting for an update :D
:thumbsup:

M31
11-24-2008, 03:56 PM
Thank you Amirgdx5 and AndreiSzasz! :)

Too many of my ideas were "what myth can I make steampunk elements fit with?" After seeing the many fine entries here, it became clear to me that I needed to have better inspiration, so I have taken further time to think about it. Although I love Prometheus, I could not think of a steampunk version that I really liked. I have decided to go with Sleeping Beauty, a sort of steam-powered cryogenics version. The prince will have just discovered her, perhaps the evil fairy will be in the background. I will post some initial 3D work this week. I've decided to start with 3D as it will give me a lot of freedom to play with how I want it arranged. Plus, I am going to model the mechanical elements and paint over them as that is much easier than doing it freehand.

BTW, for those of you who are less knowledgeable about steampunk, mechanics, and engineering, I highly recommend the book, 1800 Mechanical Movements, Devices and Appliances by Gardner D. Hiscox. It has been inspirational for me. :)

Rivenis
11-24-2008, 04:19 PM
you have some really cool ideas, i like the one with perseus the best. And i feel that you could bend the rules a little and have him riding the steam powered pegusus, as that is very iconic (it was in clash of the titans;) ) any way can't wait to see what you come up with, and thanks a lot for your words of encouragement, much appreciated

CGTalk Moderation
11-24-2008, 04:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.