PDA

View Full Version : modeling a rope

Bommel
11-10-2008, 10:38 PM
hey,

has someone a hint how to model a detail rope like this one:

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/50923914/Atlas_Mooring_Rope_6_Strand_Cross_Laid_.jpg

thx for help :)

philipp

brianod
11-12-2008, 08:25 PM
I can't post many pictures because I'm at my limit for posting images on this site. I am not showing the twist deformer in this image.

Create a capsule primitive, stretch it out using transform, it should look a little like a pencil, only thinner.

Take that and Duplicate it using Radial Array( I did that with an option of 24, that's too many for your rope, 6 or 8 should do). Then use the Twist deformer to twist that into your rope. You may have to cut the ends off to make it look more realistic. Fraying the ends in polygon mode will add realism.

Then apply an Image map material (or possibly a noise / bump / displacement procedural material for the texture).

I'm sure there are better ways but this should work. There are always multiple ways to achieve an end result when modeling with almost any 3D package.

CGTalk Moderation
11-12-2008, 08:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.