View Full Version : Open Letter to Autodesk Regarding Softimage Acquisition

Spin99
11-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Hi there to XSI users.

I found this online petition thought maybe there's some signatures to go here
>> LINK (http://www.petitiononline.com/xsi9/petition.html) <<

artmann
11-11-2008, 09:44 AM
Wow. All 256 fans signed so far. Including me.

Autodesk Softimage XSI? I doubt Autoevil will grant that request though.

vlad74
11-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Signed it as well. Thanks

Ollarin
11-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Aren't people perhaps jumping to conclusions? I mean it's not like they've actually done anything to XSI "yet". They probably will just continue along the development cycle (They still have the old Avid team, don't they?)

Billabong
11-11-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm not even an XSI user and I signed it. Can't hurt

Stimpy
11-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Aren't people perhaps jumping to conclusions? I mean it's not like they've actually done anything to XSI "yet". They probably will just continue along the development cycle (They still have the old Avid team, don't they?)

its not only about the development cycle, but also about stuff like the actual history of the product (like the name), quality of support as well as community stuff like the softimage mailing list which may disappear if they decide to do the same thing to softimage.com like they did to alias.
some of these might be minor things, but they are very dear to people who have been with softimage for years.

P_T
11-11-2008, 03:23 PM
Did we have something like this when Maya was acquired? I don't think we did...

Stimpy
11-11-2008, 03:48 PM
Did we have something like this when Maya was acquired? I don't think we did...
from the xsi list:

'By the time Alias made it to Autodesk they had been sold from SGI to KKR then to some teachers union or something-other and many Maya users, while frustrated and unhappy, were actually breathing a sigh of relief. Further, the Maya Culture was an Alias culture, Wavefront culture, SGI culture, and Maya culture. It was very splintered, made largely of people only interested in Maya, with little understanding, much less loyalty, to the corporate entity which had "brung" them to the party so to speak. When the major part of the Alias/Wavefront corporate entity was laid off, sometime about 2002 or 2003 I think, the users had very few people to associate to the corporate identity and as a result the users were typically loyal to Maya. The Softimage user culture is very different, then can easily associate a corporate culture and philosophy to the software they use. It's been in place, and largely intact with some changes or shifts in management(Microsoft, Avid), for well over 20 years. There are few 3D developers with such a track record and customer/corporate identification that I've been aware of, that has lasted so long. My take on this is that we are in uncharted waters here.'

krisr
11-11-2008, 04:43 PM
C'mon people...lets give this thing a boost. I want to see several thousand signatures at least...I know you are out there!!

CoolDuck
11-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Good idea! I've signed it.

DuttyFoot
11-11-2008, 06:20 PM
heck, i think i will also throw in my support for xsi

Pepril
11-11-2008, 10:58 PM
I hate to be a Debby Downer, but I feel like this is a bit ridiculous. As another has said, Autodesk has done nothing with the product yet and XSI 7 just came out. So there is at minimum 2 years of great work with this app regardless of what Autodesk may do.

I took the time to read through this "petition", and I really find the premise rather silly. Its mostly saying to leave the forms, the name, and e-mail list alone. I think this is strange and unreasonable. What company would buy another and not integrate all these things.

They surely will not keep it named Softimage XSI. That is outrageous. Its owned by Autodesk so it will be Autodesk XSI like all other Autodesk products. Should it still be Alias Maya and Skymatter Mudbox? That is confusing and impossible to market or sell.

Also I'm sure that The Area will be the new form for XSI. Autodesk is not going to monitor and staff extra forums when they have a good one and can keep it all under one roof. Form what I understand (which is not a lot) XSI base (I believe this is the or one of the most active XSI forums) is not Softimage owned or run so it will stay just fine. Soft did just launch a new forum but its been around for maybe 8 months so there is there is no great loss there. I may be off on the forum stuff but surely Autodesk is going to incorporate XSI into the Area. If people want to join and benefit then they can or use the older forums that were not XSI owned.

EDIT:
Ahh... I posted this rant and forgot to get to the point. My major point or problem with this is to "Pick Your Battles". I like the idea of people really stepping up and saying "We love the XSI workflow and UI, please keep this intact and functional!!". If a ton of people signed that then maybe someone would have a look and pay attention. Lumping strange things in that are really unreasonable form a business perspective makes the whole thing loose any validity IMHO.

2.5 Cents
Pep

Stimpy
11-11-2008, 11:47 PM
it was named softimage while microsoft owned it, and softimage when avid owned it, most people would hate to see the name softimage as such disappear...

CoolDuck
11-12-2008, 12:24 AM
It would be a good marketing strategy to keep the name Softimage, because it is well known in the CGI industry and has a good image. Perhaps Autodesk Softimage XSI. Or rename it to Softimage 3D. :D
Softimage is like a brand name. If keeping the name is good strategy and don't hurt the sales, then why not. If Nike would aquire Puma, would they change the name of all Puma's shoes to Nikes?

ManuelM
11-12-2008, 06:39 AM
doesn't XSI stand for 'Extended SoftImage'? so they could simply call it Softimage XAD (extended autodesk) ;)

Stimpy
11-12-2008, 08:41 AM
all bit hazy here, but i think the X actually refered to the .x file format, since at that time softimage was owned by microsoft, but that format never took off of course.

Spin99
11-12-2008, 09:06 AM
Oh Autodesk genie please grant us three wishes.
Let the mailing list the forums and the name SoftImage endure..

Or at least keep the name. What's so unreasonable about that?
The forum and mailing list move to the Area fine.
But not Autodesk XSI that would not be fun (or have any history attached to it)

If Microsoft left it to be SoftImage and Avid left it SoftImage why can't Autodesk do the same thing? I think I read this on the previous page as well.
And the other point also that the application has been named SI and XSI is the new version.

Even Autodesk SoftImage extended would be better than Autodesk XSI :buttrock:

Loolarge
11-12-2008, 09:09 AM
Signed. Not sure if it will cause any effect but who knows.

Cabraswel
11-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Dropping the Softimage name would not make any sense. Consider:

3dsMax was once called 3D Studio, and sold by Kinetix. When it moved to a 32-bit architecture, the name was appended to 3D Studio MAX, and at some later point shortened to 3dsMax. When Autodesk bought it, they didn't drop the "3ds" part.

Also, there has always been a synergy in my mind between the names Softimage (meaning "optical illusion") and Maya (meaning "world of illusion").

I wouldn't worry too much about Autodesk changing the name.

DecWest
11-12-2008, 04:26 PM
I'm more concerned about the pricing/licensing and support.

jamination
11-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Dropping the Softimage name would not make any sense. Consider:

3dsMax was once called 3D Studio, and sold by Kinetix. When it moved to a 32-bit architecture, the name was appended to 3D Studio MAX, and at some later point shortened to 3dsMax. When Autodesk bought it, they didn't drop the "3ds" part.

Also, there has always been a synergy in my mind between the names Softimage (meaning "optical illusion") and Maya (meaning "world of illusion").

I wouldn't worry too much about Autodesk changing the name.

I get the point about the 3d studio name changes, but I wish people would stop throwing around the sale of max by Kinetix to Autodesk, that doesn't mean Di*k, AutoDesk has always owned max.

Samo
11-12-2008, 08:01 PM
These big corporations only understand one language: money. If you make them loose money or stop earning, they will (oh yes!) listen to you.

kiaran
11-14-2008, 08:09 PM
Autodesk is not going to rape the product they just purchased. Stop spreading this FUD and put this silly petition to bed.

I'm a Maya user and I've found Autodesk to be very capable at extending and supporting my favorite software. They became big and successful for a reason. They're good at making money because they're good at making software. So give them a chance before you assume the worst.

CGTalk Moderation
11-14-2008, 08:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.