PDA

View Full Version : Rush For The Screen

benjii19
11-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Hi All, this is just a little thing I'm working on at the minute.

animation (http://www.benhealy.co.uk/animation/chairspline01.mov)

Crits welcome. Still a few things to iron out, but hope you like it.

Cheers

Ben

benjii19
11-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Ok here is another update. I'm after a bit of advice now though. I'm relatively happy with most of this but the walk at the start is driving me nuts. The main reason being it's ALL "IK ARMS" which is causing me no end of problems. It's not WORLD planted though so I have got away with it not being too much of a struggle when I started ( I just find Ik easier to pose). I've tried checking the arcs and I did a pass on the root but It's still jerky. This is probably down to the fact that once I've tweaked the arms I realise I want to tweak the root some more.

A cool trick would obviously be if I could turn the arms off but I'm positive that feature isn't built in to the Alfred Rig. Then I could see how shocking the body movement was but keep the animation on the arms with a bit of tweaking after.

The other alternative is scrap the animation on the arms, check what the root and spine are doing and then go through again with IK arms (Obviously the fact they are IK would normally mean they'd be planted in world space but the rig I'm using has space switching which means they would follow the body as FK arms would)

The next alternative is bite the bullet and use FK although that may cause me problems with the switch!

Anyway here it is

anim (http://www/benhealy.co.uk/animation/new512K_Stream.mov)

robcat2075
11-12-2008, 03:30 AM
One item I notice about the walk is that (on most of the steps) his legs are still bent when the feet make contact with the ground. Usually that's a unatural. Do the bent legs mean he is an elderly person? They would take smaller slower steps

he also seems to be walking with a rather wide stance which doesn't seem to conform with the way his body mass is moving

benjii19
11-28-2008, 10:30 PM
Bit of a delay on the update but here goes. Unfortunately missing the last fcouple of frames!! Only noticed after i'd playblasted it and posted it!

I redid the walk from scratch, after comments about it I really started to hate it so thought it best to start that bit from scratch.

I've put in a quick camera move, the action seemed too far way in the 2nd half.

Anyway hope it's getting there!

UPDATE (http://www.benhealy.co.uk/animation/chairspline02.mov)

benjii19
12-10-2008, 07:09 PM
Hi all, I've decided to change this piece a little. I started it again from scratch focussing on when the TV drops. All in all I think it's turning out better this way but let me know what you think.

www.benhealy.co.uk/animation/chairblock01.mov

DonaldStrubler
12-16-2008, 09:16 PM
Definitely.

It keeps the focus on the main intended action (him in the "front row").
The original walk was distracting.

I love the addition of the screen jumping and frightening him.

Two things do pop out to me in a slight manner.

When he first covers his mouth, the general twinned way you have him performing could be confused with the tickle feeling you get right before a good sneeze. Maybe only one hand on the mouth and the other emphasizing/exaggerating the emotion forward in the silhouette.

The only other thing i noticed was the timing on the slam of the fist. Make sure to speed up your stepped keys enough so the slam doesnt take any longer than 3-6 frames even with a little anticipation. Otherwise it appears in your steps that he is uniformly contacting the ground, not so much of a perilous strike.

All in all, it as improved A LOT from the initial concept blast.
I like a lot where it is going, and you seem to be very close to splining.

Good work. :scream:

Donald

benjii19
12-21-2008, 11:16 AM
Cheers Donald thanks for the input.

I've worked some more on the hands on the face bit and a few other bits and pieces. That action just seemed a lot more natural to me and the hand forward felt awkward. Anyway I'm still interested to here what you think. I've got rid of his straight pose in anger as it didn't seem to oveershadow the slam.

anyway here it is

anim (http://www.benhealy.co.uk/animation/chairblock03.mov)

Another few breakdown to be put in on the anger bit but I'm starting to feel it a bit more now. Just a bit worried about my facial anim next!!

CGTalk Moderation
12-21-2008, 11:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.