PDA

View Full Version : Peregrine WIP - advice needed

theleast
11-10-2008, 01:37 AM
Here's the first part of a 10 second animation for college. It's my first charater animation in 3D, and has been a pretty steep learning curve so far. I'm not happy with this section, where she runs and jumps, but I'm not sure why it isn't working - advice would be greatly appreciated:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=qMBoHzrc4c0

robcat2075
11-10-2008, 07:05 PM
damn, standing, running and flying in the same shot... that's an advanced topic.

Here's what strikes me...

- the initial rise from the crouch looks very linear, as if there are no breakdowns to overlap body parts between the two extremes. The fact that it happens very slowly makes that more obvious. For example I would expect the back and head to lag behind a bit as the hips push up. Especially while trying to support those heavy wings ;)

- the takeoff run has a halting quality to it that doesn't seem to be getting him the momentum he would need for flight. It starts out fast but then actually slows right before the ledge. we don't see anything to account for his sudden increase in horizontal speed after leaving the ledge (ok maybe the legs add some push)

- he needs a big huge flap of those to get him airborne. Whoossshhh!

tip: if you post in Quicktime it's easier for people to analyze your timing. Quicktime is easy to scrub from frame to frame. Youtube doesn't scrub at all.

pearblossom
11-10-2008, 08:07 PM
nice character.. looks like fun to animate :D

i also think that the run has a halting quality, partially because the steps seem too close together. The char. has really long legs and could probably cover the distance--once she starts running--in a few steps. try acting it out, or watch someone act it out, and note the position of the legs..

Probably this is just your first pass, but it will also help alot when you offset the motion--eg. the wings spreading--and add waaay bigger anticipation for the leap. good luck!!

theleast
11-13-2008, 06:25 AM
Thankyou both for your help!

I've completely redone the sequence based on your suggestions:
http://www.davidcsimon.com/pub/peregrinetest2.avi

Sadly, Maya doesn't seem to be able to playblast to quicktime, but hopefully it will be easier to scrub after downloading instead of streaming through YouTube. FTR, she's going into a dive, rather than launching into flight, so her wings will be folding back like a falcon's rather than flapping (it's my first project, I thought that adding flight to the mix would be too much)

robcat2075
11-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Quick thought... have you shot reference footage of you doing this?

I know you can't jump off a ledge, but you can stand, run and jump from a line on the ground.

Ans i bet with some googling you could find some footage of a diver taking a running jump off a platform.

Comparing those motions with what you have would probably be very revealing.

CGTalk Moderation
11-13-2008, 08:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.