PDA

View Full Version : What are MEL's weaknesses?

MDuffy
06-13-2003, 08:55 PM
Greetings,

I wanted to pick the brains of other people who use MEL in their daily work. My question is, What are the areas where MEL is weak as a programming language?

Sometime later this year I'm going to start working on my own graphics tool for playing with some algorithms/approaches (terrain and plant generation, texturing, image manipulation, etc) and I plan for it to be similar to Maya's node based system. It also needs a scripting language, and I'm leaning towards a design that is very MEL-like (which itself is very C-like). I've looked at other scripting languages to embed, but none of them really achieved what I wanted. So I'm planning on writing my own.

So what areas do you think that MEL's syntax or structure are not well done? I know that MEL's implementation of regular expressions is pretty lousy, and I've heard that it isn't great for manipulating images either. It also seems to me that its handling of vectors and matrixes isn't as smooth as it could be. It would also be nice to be able to set attributes with a simple assignment expression, rather than having to call setAttr (i.e. pObject.tx = 7.2). What other areas do you think that MEL is lacking? I just want to make sure I avoid those design pitfalls as I work on my own code.

Thanks for any input,
Michael Duffy
mduffy@ionet.net

McMaster
06-15-2003, 06:58 PM
Hi!
Im not too much into Mel right now, but Im trying to get started.
As no one has replied yet, I`ll give it a try!
Coming from C++, what goes on my nerves is writing the $ in front of all variables (I keep forgetting it all the time) and what I don`t like is that overloading functions or procs is not possible, I mean giving to procs the same name only difference is the parameters!
Another thing is that if you declare variables and procs directly in the script-editor, to delete them you have to restart Maya. But this is not really the Languagething!

Derlaine
06-17-2003, 04:49 AM
deleted text because i can't delete the post

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.