PDA

View Full Version : Selection Question

shimra
06-13-2003, 07:47 PM
after you make a selection is there anyway to manipulate the brush to get areas that you may have messed up on while making the first selection? like say you have a 5 sided image you are selecting with the polygon selection tool and you go to far out but continue and close the the selection. is there a way to go back and move the part you went to far over on and "push" it back to the right place? i hope i made this clear cause i think i confused myself with what io have written here. thanks for any help.:thumbsup:

singularity2006
06-13-2003, 09:56 PM
nope. Use a mask to work on the selection. It's easier.

shimra
06-14-2003, 06:55 AM
okay. i will give that a try. thanks for the info.:thumbsup:

theGuest
06-14-2003, 08:32 AM
Well yes, of course there is guys. ;)

You sound like you're talking about using the "Quick Mask"? If yes, then simply change your Foreground colour and paint over the areas you wish to change.

For the Selection Tools though...

To SUBTRACT from a current selection, using any of the selection tools, hold down the ALT (Option for Mac) key and select the area you want to remove.

To ADD to the current selection, hold the CTRL (Cmd for Mac) key and select the new area you wish to add.

To INTERSECT two separate selections, hold the ALT+SHIFT keys together. This is a special situation whereby you've already have a selection going, then you hold these key down and load another selection -- i.e. by clicking on another layer/mask/alpha channel, or drawing an additional selection. This will cause PS to create a new selection based on the areas that overlap within the 2 different selections.

All of this info is found in the PS HELP! files.
And if you want a less sterile version of this info (plus some other stuff), try this: Learning Fundamentals (http://photoshopgurus.info/beginners/learning_fundamentals/learning-fundamentals.shtml)

singularity2006
06-14-2003, 08:46 AM
yah, totally true too. But then again, masks are nice cuz u don't end up totally screwing up the layer. U can preserve it so u can easily make changes later too. But @ the same time, if ur lazy like me, just duplicate the layer and work it as if it were a layer, no mask. Eh, u get the same effect... mostly. =)

theGuest
06-14-2003, 02:29 PM
Oh definately... i agree completely. Alpha channels are the way-to-go where selection editing is concerned.

The reply i gave only directly answered the given question. ;)

:bounce:

shimra
06-14-2003, 05:40 PM
yeah i completely forgot about adding to the selection and subtracting from it.it has been like 5 years since i touched photoshop and i have forgotten everything that i knew about it. which really makes me mad cause now i have to relearn it all over again. thanks for that link to, i am sure that will come in handy. i was not very fond of the PS HELP. so thanks again.:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.