PDA

View Full Version : What features lost after one-year expires?

Cman
06-13-2003, 06:06 PM
Does anyone yet know what the PE version of MB will retain after the one-year full license expires and it becomes the PE version only?

Eventhough it's only $200, I can't get myself to pull the cash out of my wallet when I don't know how it will change?
My "bait-and-switch", "it's-too-good-to-be-true" warning light is going off! :scream:

roguenroll
06-13-2003, 06:25 PM
it will only retain the gremlin character that will heckle you endlessly to upgrade, even when the computer is off.

:buttrock:

just kidding.

From what I remeber the liceece is for a year, so I think that
it totally goes caput, lights out. bye

I always planned on upgrading so I wasn't worried too much.

Rogue

Cman
06-13-2003, 06:32 PM
It was my understanding the $200 bought a permanent PE license, which operates as the full version for one-year.
After that year the "full" version, which we now enjoy, will be kaput, and it will only operate as a PE version.
The full version will cost $3,500!

So what is lost between this $200 PE permanent license and the $3,500 full version permanent license?

I guess I'll just have to wait for Siggraph, read the press releases and decide - just before this cool offer expires.

Mike Pauza
06-13-2003, 07:29 PM
Kaydara has stated that the PE/Freelance version is exactly the same software as the Professional Version, but comes without the MotionBuilder software developers kit...which most of thier larger clients will want to have. They have also said that upgrading a 1yr PE/freelance version to a permanent PE/freelance version will cost $100, and has to be done in the timeframe that they announce later in the year...right now they say that limited offer will "probably" be during August-December 2003.

Fuzatron
06-13-2003, 07:30 PM
:eek: You are scaring me Cman!
I don't think there is a timelimit on the $200 deal. My understanding is that you would have to get the full-priced version only if you were a studio or wanted some extra tools for help in working with things like mocap data...

I'm sure Michel or someone else from Kadara can clear this up :curious:

Cman
06-13-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Mike Pauza
Kaydara has stated that the PE/Freelance version is exactly the same software as the Professional Version, but comes without the MotionBuilder software developers kit...which most of thier larger clients will want to have. They have also said that upgrading a 1yr PE/freelance version to a permanent PE/freelance version will cost $100, and has to be done in the timeframe that they announce later in the year...right now they say that limited offer will "probably" be during August-December 2003.

Thanks for sharing your info, Mike.

You have posted the most I've read so far.
I also read the permanent PE version upgrade will likely end during Aug-Dec 2003, at which time the upgrade cost will go to $450.
You have provided new news to me, that the Professional Version won't have an SDK. No problem there.
I've also read it won't have mocap tools. Fine.

Just need to know what else will be changed before I drop cash. Like I said, if I buy during Siggraph, I'll probably have all my answers and be well within the deadlines. :shrug:

I spoke with a Kaydara salesman, and when talking about the PE version, he said, "well, teh PE version is fine, and will have some interesting tools but it's basically a Lite Version of the Professional Motionbuilder."
He never cleared up that statement and it's made me nervous.
*wait a minute*
Nope, the guy's not answering his phone now...

roguenroll
06-13-2003, 07:46 PM
yeah i think the timelimit is on the 100$/1year deal, if you want the permanent PE licence, it'll be another $100, then you have it forever, or until you want to get the next version.

that full studio has a few extras but from a past posting its only things that a studio needs, some adavnce mocap, and some network stuff.

Rogue

Michel Besner
06-13-2003, 11:34 PM
Official details on the Standard Edition vs. Professional Edition will be posted next week.

If you don't upgrade to a permanent license of the Standard Edition before your one-year license expires, your PE license will cease to function after one-year.

Cost to upgrade to a permanent license of the Standard Edition:

Between August 1st and Dec. 31 2003
$100 (if you paid $100 for the PE)
$200 (if you got it for free)

Between Jan 1st 2004 and March 31st 2004
$350 (if you paid $100 for the PE)
$450 (if you got it for free)

After March 31st 2004
$995, there is no planned discount at this point.

Once you upgrade to a permanent license, you get the following minor versions (5.1, 5.2, ...) for free while major versions (6.0, 7.0) will be $250 per upgrade.

Hope this clarifies the issue.... :-)

M.

3DDave
06-14-2003, 12:03 AM
Michel

No one could ask for a better deal than that!!

:bounce: :applause:

Cman
06-14-2003, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Michel Besner
Official details on the Standard Edition vs. Professional Edition will be posted next week.

Thanks for clarifying the pricing - but that posting is the information I'm looking to read.

I have a sneaky suspicion Kaydara will be getting my cash but-quick after that news release! :bounce:

Triple G
06-14-2003, 05:54 AM
Cman...have you seen the VTMs on 3Dbuzz? Kaydara has stated that everything you see in the VTMs will be available in the full, Standard Edition. Which is more than enough to keep me happy... :bounce: :thumbsup:

Cman
06-14-2003, 06:04 AM
Well... several VTMs involve mocap - so there's that.
Anyway, I'm actually dying to spend the money, it's just that little voice, y'know.

I've not been this excited about software since Photoshop and Lightwave! I think it's that revolutionary. (For me anyway.)

I just, HAVE to wait. ERRR!!! :banghead:

btw, those 3DBuzz vids are all outstanding!

Triple G
06-14-2003, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by Cman
btw, those 3DBuzz vids are all outstanding!

Yup...they've helped me so much! My only complaint about them is that I have to CRANK my speakers all the way up just to be able to hear the audio at an acceptable level. But other than that, they rock!

Cman
06-14-2003, 07:44 AM
Yep.
And I found, after watching them the 2nd time, that they tend to repeat themselves and it can get annoying.

Buzz: "So you can click here and get a totally revised layout."
Zack: "So just clicking there I can a completely changed layout?"
Buzz: "Yep!"
Zack: "Excellent!"

y'know...
But otherwise I like the banter. :thumbsup:

Hey, any idea where I can find that samurai fighting scene in VTM1?
Also, the really cool sketch version?
Can't find 'em...

Michel Besner
06-14-2003, 11:41 AM
http://www.kaydara.com/quicktime/

check out the samples ...

M.

Cman
06-14-2003, 04:10 PM
Wow.

private
06-15-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Michel Besner

If you don't upgrade to a permanent license of the Standard Edition before your one-year license expires, your PE license will cease to function after one-year.

Cost to upgrade to a permanent license of the Standard Edition:

Between August 1st and Dec. 31 2003
$100 (if you paid $100 for the PE)
$200 (if you got it for free)

Between Jan 1st 2004 and March 31st 2004

$350 (if you paid $100 for the PE)
$450 (if you got it for free)

After March 31st 2004
$995, there is no planned discount at this point.

Once you upgrade to a permanent license, you get the following minor versions (5.1, 5.2, ...) for free while major versions (6.0, 7.0) will be $250 per upgrade.

Hope this clarifies the issue.... :-)

M.

Michel Besner,

Do you mean that if we order the Buzz deal, paid the extra $100 to make it permanent, that includes the upgrade to version 5? Or do we get the permanent 4.whatever releases and have to pay extra for 5.whatever releases.

And, if we skip upgrades sometimes, is there a catch up pricing planned just as there is with Lightwave? Thanks for your time.

Michel Besner
06-15-2003, 04:22 PM
The upgrade to promotion to a permanent license will be for version 5.0

>> And, if we skip upgrades sometimes, is there a catch up pricing planned just as there is with Lightwave?

This has not been decided yet.

M.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.