PDA

View Full Version : Rotational Limits

steverage
06-13-2003, 06:51 PM
Hey, I was wondering if ppl here use rotation limits on bones...Ive tried a couple of times but they sometimes seem to cause popping...(Im using XSI 3.01)

Whats the general thinking?

StefanA
06-13-2003, 07:16 PM
Sometimes I use them, especially if the chains are used in symmetry mode or with some other kinds of expressions.

A classical example is if you want to mirror an animation. So the expression is set to -1 on the other side. When you do symmetry it sometimes adds +360 degrees on your chains. So before adding the expression I apply a rotation limit for 180 and -180 (which makes the chain lock inbetween those rotation values).

But on a normaly rigged character i never use it.

best regards

.stefan andersson

steverage
06-13-2003, 07:47 PM
Cheers Stefan, I dont think Ill bother, its animation afterall - might look cool if hes a bit double jointed ;)

goosh
06-13-2003, 08:29 PM
I personally think that limits are not a good idea..

When animating you don't want to be restricted on how far you can push a pose..

And sometimes it's necessary to break a joint or two to make the animation look right..

so, just say no to limits!! :)

Goosh

loked
06-15-2003, 10:33 PM
Hey,

I have to agree with goosh. As an animator, you dont want to be restricted to how far you can take things. Sometimes an animation might even call for a character to fall and break his legs. In which case his joints would break and do all kinds of wierd rotations. I think its really the animators job to use his discretion and judge what works and what doesn't :thumbsup:

later:wavey:
loked

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.