11-07-2008, 06:58 PM
cant wait! :D :D :D

ThomasMahler
11-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Hahaha, I love that old codger already :D

Can't wait, looks awesome!

RockinAkin
11-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Looks and has the feel of an instant classic.

Can't wait to see it!

RTjunior
11-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Pixar can do no wrong. The streak continues.

synkipate
11-07-2008, 08:36 PM
the light filtering through the balloons into the little girls bedroom, stunning

I love how saturated it is, feels like a vivid dream!

ragdoll
11-07-2008, 08:38 PM
YAY!!ONE!
i loved the cub scout scene. :D

cookepuss
11-07-2008, 10:15 PM
After the severely disappointing Cars and the very good - but not drop dead great - Wall·E, I wasn't expecting much for this next film. Now, I'm certainly more excited than I was before. I'm still not too happy that they're opening these teasers with old footage, as if we don't know what Pixar's about. However, Up is looking pretty good.

Ed Asner's voice is immediately recognizable. Grumpy old man? Perfect casting. Now, let's see if the quality of the story is as fresh as the visuals. I think that, if Pixar can deliver an original story that's not simply a rehash of old live action stuff, we're in for something special.

For now, I'm in that old, yet familiar state of cautious optimism.

Venkman
11-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Again, I think that one of Pixar's greatest strengths is whoever does their voice casting. They get people who do an amazing job.

The voice of Mr. Frederickson is played by Edward Asner. he may not be a big Hollywood blockbuster star, but he's done more TV shows, movies and most importantly voice acting than most hollywood stars. He's been on everything from Batman the animated series to Gunsmoke (the live action one from the 1960's).

Larry_g1s
11-07-2008, 10:40 PM
Pixar can do no wrong. The streak continues.Totally agree, nuttin' but Pixar love!:thumbsup:

mccg
11-07-2008, 11:38 PM
too many colours for my taste (kids and disney will like it...)
i miss the quality after ratatouille.

davius
11-08-2008, 03:53 AM
LOL!! Great trailer! The timming is just perfect when he waits just a sec before saying "NO!" Can't wait!

SheepFactory
11-08-2008, 04:01 AM

*cough CARS *cough

But yes I am there day one. Pixar films are the only cg films I cant wait to see in the theatre.

dtang
11-08-2008, 06:33 AM
I'm still not too happy that they're opening these teasers with old footage, as if we don't know what Pixar's about.

Believe it or not, when I talk to my younger friends (around 20s) not related to CG industry, they have no idea what Pixar is. Then I go, "Finding Nemo / Incredible / Wall-E ?", they were like "ooooh!! I love those movies!" :rolleyes:

Kind of like my CG buddy asked me if I heard John Williams' latest score 2 years ago, I was like "who's that?" He was about to beat me up with a stick. Luckily Wikipedia saved me, then of course, I slapped myself for not knowing the greatest composer of our time with film scores I hum almost every day. :p

gingamonkey
11-08-2008, 10:13 AM
HD versions have arrived - No 1080 version at the moment.

480 (http://wdmp.rd.llnwd.net/wdsmp/Up/Trailer2_V33/Up_TRL2_V33_Rev_480.mov)
720 (http://wdmp.rd.llnwd.net/wdsmp/Up/Trailer2_V33/Up_TRL2_V33_Rev_720.mov)

Love the pause when the scout asks if he can come in................................. NO!
:applause:

Enjoy!

P_T
11-08-2008, 10:56 AM
That kid wasn't on the patio when the house took off.

ThomasMahler
11-08-2008, 11:41 AM

Shit. That ruins it for me.

Michael5188
11-08-2008, 09:16 PM

It's a trailer, it doesn't have to have perfect continuity, or any for that matter.

Malanjo
11-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Pixar films are the only cg films I cant wait to see in the theatre.

Same here! :) And IL+M as well! :)

Loved it! Nicely done! Can't wait to see it!

Malanjo
11-08-2008, 10:55 PM

Like some one told in the extra DVD of Finding Nemo: "Well... in fact... fish don't talk...!" ;)

Let's keep on rolling, and dream with this great drama\comedy movies! ;)

P_T
11-09-2008, 12:40 AM
Like some one told in the extra DVD of Finding Nemo: "Well... in fact... fish don't talk...!" ;)There's a difference between continuity error and using anthropomorphised fish in a film, fanboy.

It's a trailer, it doesn't have to have perfect continuity, or any for that matter.For a live action film perhaps but this is an animated film, how can it have such a glaring continuity error that seemed very important to the central plot? Didn't they sit in a room and act out the storyboard like in the DVD making-of? Someone should've noticed by then.

soulburn3d
11-09-2008, 01:02 AM
For a live action film perhaps but this is an animated film, how can it have such a glaring continuity error that seemed very important to the central plot? Didn't they sit in a room and act out the storyboard like in the DVD making-of? Someone should've noticed by then.

Dude, wait till you see the film, and all will be explained. I mean, the trailer didn't even show you what the "central plot" of the film is, so how can it already have a "glaring continuity error"? :)

- Neil

erilaz
11-09-2008, 01:07 AM
There's no such thing as continuity errors in trailers. Hell, the last few trailers i've seen showed parts of the ending before parts of the beginning! :D

Malanjo
11-09-2008, 01:11 AM
There's a difference between continuity error and using anthropomorphised fish in a film, fanboy.

Yes, I know that masterboy...; I don't know if you saw the extras (maybe yes, you saw that), and the main discussion on that was to not fix on an ordinary\linear\real situation that can kill a great storytelling.
Do you really think that a studio like this, will have a continuity error? And why continuity must be a rule? You can tell a story without continuity (like in "21 grams").
This is only the trailer (the first one i guess)... and I think that the main point of THIS trailer is to grow up interest in people to do the question: "So, what's next? What will happen with the house and with the two guys? I want to see the movie!!", not how the kid get in to the patio. Maybe that's a reason to not show the way, right now, how the buddy get in to there... maybe there's a great story inside this situation, and the right place to see it, is in theater, when the full film will be out.

Let it go with the flow...

peace,
-Malanjo

P_T
11-09-2008, 02:11 AM
Dude, wait till you see the film, and all will be explained. I mean, the trailer didn't even show you what the "central plot" of the film is, so how can it already have a "glaring continuity error"? :)

- NeilWell that's true I supposed, but the trailer pretty much shows the house soaring high up in the sky with noone in the patio then it cuts to the old man then the knock on the window or something and BOOM! there's the fat kid. I must say I'm really curious about how they will explain that.

BTW, is it just me or does the old man look a bit like Walter Matthau? :scream:

SovereignKnight
11-09-2008, 05:29 AM
Cars was much better than Wall*E by the way...

soulburn3d
11-09-2008, 05:41 AM
I must say I'm really curious about how they will explain that.

Excellent. A good trailer causes curiosity. Hopefully you will enjoy the final result.

- Neil

Artbot
11-09-2008, 05:59 AM
Wow, a few shots in a teaser trailer and the fanboys are already criticizing it for continuity errors? That didn't take long.

Aside from that, it's nice to see Pixar consistently try to create movies around interesting premises. There are so many worthy ideas out there to build an entertaining story around, but most studios just fall back on the same tired elements.

dtang
11-09-2008, 10:08 AM
If I saw a little boy climbing up the patio during the lift off, I won't be surprised when the door was being knocked, then amused and curioused at the same time seeing a boy freaking out on a patio. Besides, we don't even know if the boy was at his door when the house was flying off or he was at his tree house and jumped on the flying house when the house passed by.

Oh and I hope what ruined ThomasMahler wasn't because he read the forum response before watching the trailer, that would've been sucked.

PaulAdams
11-09-2008, 12:07 PM
It works both ways though, for all the people nitpicking there are people hailing it as brilliant. The trailer certainly didn't show much and the kid on the patio joke was predictable, the visuals however are insane. Really vivid, vibrant and just stunning. As someone else said, when the balloons pass the window..wow.

PiotrekM
11-09-2008, 12:25 PM
pretty interesting

I know they use renderman, but this one looks like it was rendered with Brazil skylight + ambient occlusion ;)

ragdoll
11-09-2008, 02:52 PM
and the kid on the patio joke was predictable,

it was?! you're magic 8 ball is too powerful! :D
and about the boy on the patio...maybe...he snuck inside the house to begin with? since they both show that they know each other, it's a possibility...one of the many things i like about Pixar films is how their gags aren't predictable! if you think about it, if you saw the boy on the patio to begin with then there wouldn't be much to work with to surprise us. :D

circusboy
11-09-2008, 06:11 PM
It (the boyscout) may get explained in the movie. But it doesn't need to.
Its a great gag that would have been spoiled had it been over-depicted.

Frankly its like the lead up to the climax of Aliens. You don't see the alien queen 'get on' the escaping ship. But when she reveals herself again you think "awsome-holy shit?!" (at least the first time you see it). Nada never worried me a bit.
And its the same for the boyscout gag.

Wilson-3d
11-10-2008, 03:29 AM
I loved it! Great all around. Really enjoyed hearing the knock at the door and seeing the scout and think it was a nice way to show how the dynamic will work between the two.

JoshBowman
11-10-2008, 05:14 AM
The humour for the knock on the door comes from us not having any idea that there is someone outside to begin with, continuity or not it makes the moment funnier.

As for the film it looks entertaining. I've been finding recently that I can only watch the recent Pixar films once or twice before I don't really feel like seeing them again so hopefully Up will bring the re-watchablility back to Pixar films that the pre-Rat. ones had (except Cars, which I haven't seen again since it bored me out of my skull in the cinema)

DDS
11-10-2008, 06:39 AM
awesome trailer! Again this will be a great movie. It's hard for Pixar to screw it up!

And for those talking about the trailer, I wonder if you guys really judge trailers that aren't from Pixar. I hardly see anyone complaining about the cinematography and story from a movie just by look at 1 minute of it. It just makes no sense at all. They are just aiming to create something funny that gives a glimpse from the movie and I think they get it right, plus we still have no clue what the movie will be about...

thisroomthatikeep
11-10-2008, 06:51 AM
And for those talking about the trailer, I wonder if you guys really judge trailers that aren't from Pixar. I hardly see anyone complaining about the cinematography and story from a movie just by look at 1 minute of it.

Yeah, you're right. You want continuity problems? Go watch the new Star Wars movies again, then talk about continuity in a trailer...

Wiro
11-10-2008, 12:17 PM
I've been finding recently that I can only watch the recent Pixar films once or twice before I don't really feel like seeing them again so hopefully Up will bring the re-watchablility back to Pixar films that the pre-Rat. ones had

It's odd but it's been exactly the other way around for me. While I always will catch a Pixar flick when it comes out I've always felt like it was a "neat" and "fun" experience but once was enough. It's only since Cars that I've actually had to go twice or more to the cinema to marvel at the beauty and grandeur of the sets and locations, lighting and cinematic moments. Wall.E also really touched and drew me in.
I kind of feel like Up has taken a step back again to the "cutesy" Pixar look and humor (you know, the kind that goes well with a ukulele soundtrack)

Of course I won't judge it too much on one trailer and I know most people actually like and expect that look from Pixar. They'll still have my $20...yea it's a bit pricey here in London :)

Wiro,
now with a hardtop on

Neil
11-11-2008, 07:06 PM

But they're facing better competition too. What the other companies are putting out recently is getting better and better. I find myself confused with what's Pixar and what isn't.

This reminds me of Howls Moving Castle, haha

MrPositive
11-19-2008, 07:14 AM
To me, Dreamworks is taking far more chances in the humor department with Panda and now Monsters and Aliens. Regardless, any Pixar movie is must see TV (ok film) at this point. My favorite entity of the Pixar universe is that they don't feel the need to get the big stars for voice acting, instead going with the best fit. Saying all that, I was more excited for the last three Pixar films first teaser trailers than this. It's about as teaser short as I've ever seen. Shrug.

CGTalk Moderation
11-19-2008, 07:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.