PDA

View Full Version : Max Script: Please help!

ChrisNoeth
06-13-2003, 12:18 PM
I'm a student of computer science and will start working on my 'degree dissertation' soon. I want to use 'Max Script' for implementing complex algorithms which for example can be used to show growing plants in the finished scene.

Is anybody here who has some experience with such a field?
Is it possible to realize something like that?

I want to make a scene for a computer-game company, with animated characters and using 'Max Script' as the 'technical' part of my degree dissertation. Maybe you guys can help me with some ideas or some hints. Right now I don't know exactly what can and what can't be done with '3D-Max Script'.

The only thing I can tell right now is: I want to make a finished movie and use some complex algorithms (in the skript) to get it done.

Thanks to anybody who can help me with tips, links and so on!

- Chris

Alex Morris
06-13-2003, 03:28 PM
Hi Chris,

There are mainly 2 approaches to plants - L-Systems and Biological survey algorithms (probably called something else but the same as is used in Bionatics Nature FX).

Blur scripts offer a L-System implementation in Maxscript which might be a good starting point - www.scriptspot.com .

If you want to animate them like in the film Time Machine, I guess that you will need to get on top of the maths. If you do a websearch on L-Systems you will find loads of stuff to get you started.

ChrisNoeth
06-13-2003, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the fast help!

You wrote blur has some scripts which are a good starting point. So it is possible to take it to the max :) and get such things like L-Systems done with MAX SCRIPT only?

Thanks again,

- Chris

Kramsurfer
06-13-2003, 03:41 PM
You are going to want to get yourself a copy of LOR. "Lots of Robots."

http://www.lotsofrobots.com/LORqt.htm

He does some amazing stuff with MaxScript and the DVD has all sorts of good tutorials on it..

Good Luck.. I'm sure we'll see ya on the boards...

Keith Morrison

Alex Morris
06-13-2003, 03:45 PM
Yep they have done it with maxscript - just cant remember whether it is compiled or not.......you will have to dload and check.

Baldrick
06-14-2003, 07:37 PM
I think the Blur L-System was a compiled plugin written with the SDK (but I may be wrong).

You might want to take a look at L-Parser, its a stand alone program but the source code is available so you might be able to use some of the algorithms - http://home.wanadoo.nl/laurens.lapre/lparser.htm

ChrisNoeth
06-15-2003, 09:51 AM
Thanks for all the helpful tips. Thats great stuff to look at and get more information.

Another question: Can you tell me if there are good books about genetic algorithms out there which are available right now? The most books I found at amazon are not available :annoyed:

Thanks again!

- Chris

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.