PDA

View Full Version : raycast selection?

chips__
06-13-2003, 12:03 PM
Hi,

does anyone have any ideas on how to do a selectin tool, that 'highlights' the object it's over, if it can be selected? I saw the animanium demos, and i really loved their method of selection! I guess it's a live version of XSI's raycast selection?

Levitateme
06-13-2003, 03:45 PM
yah, same in wings 3d its extremly fast way to get things moving if someone has soemthing that would be fantastic.

dwalden74
06-16-2003, 09:56 AM
Edit-> Paint Selection Tool

:beer:

chips__
06-16-2003, 10:27 AM
mmmm. what i want to do is something like the selection in animanium from sega... but maybe this tool can help me make a mel script ?
thanks

dwalden74
06-16-2003, 10:34 AM
I saw the demo, but don't remember how their selection works. Could you describe it?

-d

chips__
06-16-2003, 10:36 AM
I can try :p

it seems that it is always in selection mode, so if you just hold the cursor over a selectable part, it gets selcted. and you're always in the transform mode that suits the part you have selecter.. it looks very nice!

Levitateme
06-16-2003, 11:05 AM
in wings 3d its the exact same way. anyone know of a plugin/script i know alot of people would be all over it if this was made for maya. i see posts for it all the time.

Levitateme
06-16-2003, 11:06 AM
maybe someone can check out wings 3d

www.wings3d.com

download and take a look at it. that might get someone with mel/plugin savvy to get something made? i would love to but know very little mel.

dwalden74
06-16-2003, 01:46 PM
So you want to select something just by putting your mouse cursor over it? Too lazy to click I guess.... :p Anyway, you might be able to do this with a script job; not sure... I don't see this as very beneficial, personally. Also, if you just stick with the W E R transform keys your workflow stays pretty fast...

:beer:
David

chips__
06-16-2003, 02:02 PM
Yep, you're right, it's pretty fast, but i'm trying to build a rig/setup to make animation REALLY easy!! if you look at animanoum you'll know what i mean. I made a setup in max that was really cool, though nothing like animanium!

Levitateme
06-16-2003, 09:50 PM
dwaldel14,
its not being "lazy"? thats not fair to judge, if you have seen what raycasting does , im sure you have you should know its very very fast. you just hold your mouse and start selecting. i cant see how this couldnt not be benificial to people. wings 3d is great because of this, it also has a fall off for selecting,which i know maya users would love.

chips__

if your looking for something that animates like animaniium, i would check out motion builder, its by KAYDARA. it does the exact same thing as animanium for animation, we have it at work. i never messed around with it much though, but it animates the same way. if you check out there site, there are lots of videos for FREE by 3d buzz.

http://www.kaydara.com/support/documentation/kb/index.php?filename=video

but!, i fyou know about animanium you probally know about motion builder. also i go back to school this august so by ...june next year i should be able to write script that selects like raycasting...wanna wait? although im really suprised noone has made this yet. err made it available for public.

McMaster
06-16-2003, 10:45 PM
I haven`t ever got my hands onto wings3D yet, so do not really know what youre talking about, but I just read the post http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47098
and as I understand, someone has written exactly the stuff you want there! Maybe I`m wrong!?

Levitateme
06-16-2003, 10:54 PM
nope, thats another great great tool though. i emailed a guy last night, he said he made raycasting selection tool for maya, he is waiting for his copy of maya 5, once he gets it he will compile . he siad it will be a couple weeks. i hope he dont forget about the plight over here...

chips__
06-19-2003, 12:11 PM
Cool, i want that script :D hehe. I do know about motion builder, and have used it, and filmbox in general.. it's really nice, but i need these tools for custom rigs, so i kinda need them to be availabel inside of maya :scream: maybe i'm just a strange guy. ha!

Levitateme
06-19-2003, 09:19 PM
no, not strange its extremly useful! you played with wings 3d yet? there selection does all of that, and it has a fall off. fyi. like i was aying that guy said he will compile once he gets maya 5. once that happens im sure everyone will know about it. we just have to wait i guess.

chips__
06-22-2003, 08:38 PM
I'll have a look at wings 3d asap... cool

P

Levitateme
06-23-2003, 03:08 PM
man, i still cant belive this isnt out for maya. i talked to my friend who writes plugins, he is a TD. he is in the process of moving something about al his API stuff is on another computer, i didnt understand most of it. but he said that shouldnt be a problem, once he gets settled in he will look at how wings 3d works, then get back to me. i am hoping he gets all moved in this week. when he does ill bug him some more.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.