PDA

View Full Version : control rig trouble

NickCaligo42
11-07-2008, 01:30 AM
I'm having some issues with a few controls I'm making for a game character rig. I'm following the Digital Tutors "Rigging Next-Gen Characters in XSI" tutorial and I'm at making secondary controls for the leg, and it's really, really rough because the controls I make just keep going nuts any time I try to do anything with them. I'll parent the ankle control to the toe control, for instance, and the toe control will shrink to miniscule size and re-center itself in the middle of the ankle control. I'll constrain the orientation of a secondary control null to the toe control and it'll suddenly make the null turn 90 degrees. I'll set a neutral pose on these things but it won't do squat. I'm editing in immediate mode and I'm freezing stuff left and right anyway, but it doesn't make any difference. Is there some setting that I just didn't check at some point? Or one that I did check and forgot about?

greyface
11-07-2008, 01:33 AM
If you post a scene with the part not working (just the skeleton), we might be able to help you~

NickCaligo42
11-07-2008, 02:16 AM
You got it.

EDITEDITEDIT: New link. This one works.
You can grab it off www.lostsystem.com/NonWorkingLeg.zip (http://www.lostsystem.com/NonWorkingLeg.zip)

Figured out a few things. I had to match the translation to avoid the scaling problem and then not CHANGE the translation or scale the whole object to get a desired result but rather push and pull the vertices. Additionally: I wasn't supposed to constrain orientation, it's all just parenting.

Unfortunately, THAT doesn't work either. I constrained the orientation of the ankle and toe bones to the circular nulls, but rotating them doesn't work. The yellow control curves work just fine, but the nulls don't. I must be doing something daft.

greyface
11-07-2008, 02:44 AM
I had a quick look:

I'm not sure exactly what the rig is supposed to do (haven't watched those tutorials), but here's what I did:

-remove the position constraint from dmy_l_heel01
-position constrain eff_l_toe01 to dmy_l_toe1

tell me how it goes :)

NickCaligo42
11-07-2008, 03:00 AM
That is EXACTLY what it's supposed to work like. Most excellent. Thank you, sir. :)

CGTalk Moderation
11-07-2008, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.