PDA

View Full Version : Q: Low badget shooting of a car?

JuGGerNauTT
11-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Hello guys,

I have come across a situation with some friends where we have to shoot a black coloured car against (green screen ?).

Is this the best way to go? It will be comped with 2d elements and the light setup will be your usual green screen lighting setup. We are going to move the lights over the car and perhaps shake it a bit to get the sense of motion. The entire shot will be processed with a stop-motion aesthetic.

So my question is....Is this the best way to do it? And how easy will it be to key-out a black car against green screen? Are there any tutorials on the subject matter, or maybe any tips and tricks I can use?

Thanks in advance :)

Mike

AroundTheFur
11-06-2008, 08:16 PM
I highly recommend not doing that. Rather than shoot the car on a green screen, just rotoscope the car out of whatever background with a rotomask. You will pick up the reflection of the green screen in the car paint, not to mention it'd be pretty tough to get a green screen large enough for a car to sit on, unless you're doing this in a big studio (which it sounds like you're not).

The car shape isn't going to change drastically at any point, so I think roto is the way to go.

-S

JuGGerNauTT
11-07-2008, 10:39 AM
I highly recommend not doing that. Rather than shoot the car on a green screen, just rotoscope the car out of whatever background with a rotomask. You will pick up the reflection of the green screen in the car paint, not to mention it'd be pretty tough to get a green screen large enough for a car to sit on, unless you're doing this in a big studio (which it sounds like you're not).

The car shape isn't going to change drastically at any point, so I think roto is the way to go.

-S

Thank you very much for your quick reply Stephen and your sugestion which sounds much more reasonable than mine :).

The only thing that bothers me though is that, storyboard wise, the car gets to move and shift angles as it's moving through the 2D city. So I'm guessing there will be many angles from the car, if not different perspectives too.

The last part we haven't decided yet because none of us really knows how much effort it will take us to match with the 2D environment (and how about the reflections on the car?) Also, story wise, it might be uninteresting to have a fixed camera angle. Once we get the material, We are 3 people and we have 1 month to finish....must be sounding crazy..

We really don't know what's the best way to treat this as it is the first time something so big and complex comes up. So any help will be very much apreciated ! :)

Thanks again! :)

AroundTheFur
11-07-2008, 03:20 PM
Well green screen is out if you want to capture reflections. It's going to depend on how complex your shots are. You could shoot the car actually moving, from another car, so that you get moving reflections (try to shoot in an environment similar to where it will be comped), and in this case I would still roto it. Depending on the length of the shot this could be very time consuming but the end result will be much nicer than a static green screen shoot of the car.

Good luck!
-S

JuGGerNauTT
11-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Well green screen is out if you want to capture reflections. It's going to depend on how complex your shots are. You could shoot the car actually moving, from another car, so that you get moving reflections (try to shoot in an environment similar to where it will be comped), and in this case I would still roto it. Depending on the length of the shot this could be very time consuming but the end result will be much nicer than a static green screen shoot of the car.

Good luck!
-S

Thank you very much for the help Stephen, will give it a shot, hope it will work out in the end ;) ...Hehe thanks again!!

CGTalk Moderation
11-09-2008, 03:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.