PDA

View Full Version : Disintigrating Objects

Graogramar
06-13-2003, 09:10 AM
Hi Folks.

There is a Tutorial on the Gnomon-Workshop website:

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/tutorials/gravity_vs_uniform/gravity_vs_uniform.html

where they discribe a technic to disintigrating an object into dust.
I tried this yesterday, but i'm not finished it yet because there is a problem.

I modeled a nurbs surface an applied a shader with a ramp texture as transparency map. That works pretty good, the surface disapear. Now i created an emit form object surface emitter for the surface and assign the same ramp to the texture rate attribute of the emitter. This controls only the rate of the particles and not the position on the surface they came from.
OK, in the tutorial they said, that you have to bake the shading group lightning of the objects shader and assign the file you get from this to the emitters particle color attribute. There is the problem: My animation of the disapearing of the surface is about 200 frame. Now i can bake the shading group lightning on frame 40 for example, and the particles doing something different. If this is correct on frame 40, i don't now. Further, i wan't to make an animation and i think if one use the technic with the baking, he have to bake the lightning for the whole animation. Did i misunderstanding the tutorial? Can somebody make this point clear?
Thank you and many greetings.

gallo
06-14-2003, 09:08 PM
baking the lighting is not the problem. Unless your textures are animated sequences. That tutorial only gives you the basic idea. it doesn't give you the entire process of what you have to do. the only reason why you are told to bake the lighting. is so that your particles will have the same color values as the object. You need to apply a transparency map to you particles, that is similar to the transparency map as the object. Take a look at the maya help files under dynamics. This method will not be directly under particles so you will need to take some time to look for it but believe me it is there. I was looking at it a couple of days ago.good luck

Graogramar
06-16-2003, 09:33 PM
Thank you for that, but i did not found out, how to apply a transparancy map to the particles. IS it so, that i have to assign a shader to the particle shape (and how coule i do that??? <-- this is another problem of me).
I searched the help files of maya 5 but adding transparancy maps to particles are not in there.

Thank you so much.

Graogramar
06-16-2003, 09:41 PM
Sorry i have to reply one more time.
In that tutorial, they said, the object dissapeares with an animated transparency mapn while a similar animated map controls the the emission of the dust particles. To what i have to assign this similar map?

Thank you.

Jozvex
06-17-2003, 04:01 AM
You just need to create a ramp (put it on the shader's bump map or something) and animate it so that a white strip will move down the object. Once that is done, you can disconnect the ramp from the bump map (you only needed to put it in the bump slot to get the placement on the object right), and connect it instead to the Emission Rate map for the emitter.

Anyway, I've attached a render I got after recreating the same effect. I just used a sphere for the object.

In the next post I'll attach my scene file.

Jozvex
06-17-2003, 04:15 AM
Ok, here's the scene file all ready to go.

Hopefully you can figure stuff out from it. Oh and it's a Maya 5 scene, I hope you can use it.

boomji
06-28-2003, 08:54 PM
thanx jo ;)
b

anim8tr
08-27-2003, 09:42 PM
Would you mind posting a written tutorial on how to use do this effect starting with the baking part? I have a model and a texture, but unfortunately, I don't know enough about particles and how to use them effictively enough to get this concept down.

I would use your zip file, but I am only on Maya 4.5.

I would really appreciate it!

Jozvex
08-28-2003, 01:33 AM
Did you look at the link in the first post?

Because it's got the tutorial on how to do it.

anim8tr
08-28-2003, 05:10 AM
Oh Yeah...I had already seen that tutorial before I read your post. It was too conceptual for me to follow. Since I have only begun to to really understand the work flow in Maya, and particles in general, there were a lot of intermediate steps left out of the tut that someone like myself need.

Properly baking textures - When I tried it, my texture became very dark from the original and I am not really sure what it did or what to do with it now that I did it - LOL.

I don't fully understand how to "link" the texture to the particles and animate the opacity ramp, etc...

Forgive me if my thoughts seem disjointed, but that's what I mean when I say I don't fully understand the workings of the particle system well enough to get this Gnomon concept down, but I would really love to get it.

DiGiman
08-28-2003, 11:03 PM
The Gnomon dynamics dvd #3 fully explains the concept and more. I highly recommend it.

That is why the tutorial is so conceptual..Alex wants you to buy his videos.

Jozvex
08-29-2003, 12:03 AM
Yeah, I don't want to take anything away from Gnomon by writing out there tutorials.

:shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.