PDA

View Full Version : Apple shifting gears...

Imhotep397
11-06-2008, 02:41 PM
In Apple's SEC annual filing they've decided to shift gears. It would seem that "Digital Lifestyle" is moving a bit further back on the priority list. Don't know how much it's going to help us, but creatives are on the list as one core interest and Apple has a significant head start in that area.

"..Last year, the company focused on its "digital lifestyle" products for consumers and the company's stronghold markets in education and creative professionals, relegating all other business into a single sentence.

This year's report outlines "consumer and small and mid-sized business," education, and then emphasizes "enterprise, government, and creative" as being the core target of its "high end hardware solutions," including the Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air."

Apple Shifting Corporate Gears with creative sector in mind. (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/11/05/apple_outlines_shift_in_strategy_rise_in_rd_spending_more.html)

P_T
11-06-2008, 03:59 PM
How's a Macbook Air a "highend hardware solution"? That laptop is only useful for rich uni students who like to look hip in the library or lecture room while running his/her word processor or spreadsheet.

SheepFactory
11-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Dammit Apple! Announce the new mac pro's already, I need a new desktop. :(

Venkman
11-06-2008, 04:38 PM

According to the Macrumors.com buyer's guide, the MacPros are LONG overdue for an update.

Product Mac Pro
Recommendation: Don't Buy - Updates soon
Last Release January 08, 2008
Days Since Update 303 (Avg = 217)

I'm on the lookout, too. I wonder if they are putting Intel's new chip family in there.

mental
11-06-2008, 05:19 PM
How's a Macbook Air a "highend hardware solution"?
That should be read as "high profit margin solution".
I'm on the lookout, too. I wonder if they are putting Intel's new chip family in there.
Calpella isn't scheduled to ship until at least the second or third quarter of 2009. So the wait will be atleast another 6 months.

/edit: Whoops, I thought you were talking about the Macbook Pro.

Andy1010
11-06-2008, 05:28 PM

I couldn't have said it better myself. Give me 16 cores!:)

ThomasMahler
11-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Mac Tablets - Multitouch with Pressure Sensitivity please, including a new Nehalem CPU and a 9600 mobile GPU.

That's what I want. That and a bacon sandwich.

Per-Anders
11-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Well thank goodness they're going to finally remember us. I don't need a new machine, but I hope they update the Mac Pro line, tablet would be nice in the laptops too, but I really want to see some updates on the software side, Logic Pro, Final Cut, Motion and of course the successor to Shake.

11-06-2008, 06:38 PM
but I really want to see some updates on the software side, Logic Pro, Final Cut, Motion and of course the successor to Shake.

or maybe acquire autodesk :D

anw, dont hold your breath yet. The new MB is the last salvation from cupertino this year. And I really think they will wait for their new Snow Leopard with the OpenCL breakthrough... i hope so ;) before launching a new product.

imho :)

cresshead
11-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Mac Tablets - Multitouch with Pressure Sensitivity please, including a new Nehalem CPU and a 9600 mobile GPU.

That's what I want. That and a bacon sandwich.

i'm crossing my fingers that apple have had a sideway's galnce to what h.p. have been offering this year and then go off and make a 24" touch screen imac with blueray drive option

> h.p. touchsmart vid >
http://h30440.www3.hp.com/campaigns/touchsmart/IQ500_NA/Model.html

if apple don't bother then i hope h.p. throw in a faster chip in early 2009 and i'll go add one of these instead...can't wait for apple to catch on to what's happening forever..

same went for netbooks...bought a pc netbook [advent 4211] cos apple didn't launch one but instead they increased the price of the macbook cos it's made of metal [who cares...really]
apple need to add a intel atom netbook in 2009 as well imho.

the mac mini is really old now...over 400 days since last updated...

come on apple..i want a new touch screen imac!!!,,so i can do my 'minority report'
thang when my friends are round!

apple should get thir eye OFF mp3 player and phones and get back to their core which is pc hardware

scrimski
11-06-2008, 06:40 PM
.. and of course the successor to Shake.
*crossing fingers*

frogspasm
11-06-2008, 06:58 PM
I just looked at the prices for desktop machines on Apple's website.
Are they kidding? $9k for 32gb of ram? That's just for the ram!

SheepFactory
11-06-2008, 07:22 PM

Why would you buy ram from Apple\Dell\HP etc?

Buy the system from apple and add the ram yourself, it is excellent price when you do it like that. I love when people go build a 40k machine from the apple website by adding components you have to be stupid to get from major brands and then scream how it is expensive.

Venkman
11-06-2008, 07:32 PM

$2400 from crucial.com

SilverCity
11-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Many people think that the new MP's will come out at the beginning of 2009, maybe at Macworld 2009 in January. I'm another one waiting in line for these. Should be much faster than the current models.

Lone Deranger
11-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks for posting this. Nice to hear Apple hasn't forgotten about us.
Snow Leopard sounds like it'll lay the fundamentals for a new round of hardware and software innovations.

And to those waiting for a new round of Mac Pros, don't expect them anytime sooner than januari (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/11/03/apple-no-new-products-before-holidays/).

mxdirector
11-06-2008, 07:45 PM
does this mean all aspects of creativity? because it doesnt necessarily suggest cg.

i for one (and i am sure many others) would like to see a improvement in mac's 3d support.
we have only just got zbrush (a year after the pc)
the major application is maya. which is outdated, messy and (from what i here) supposed by xsi (hence why autodesk are supposedly buying xsi).
i use modo right now, but it is not as complete as maya, so i would like to see a maya competitor on the mac.

TAVO
11-06-2008, 07:52 PM
i would like to see a maya competitor on the mac.

perhaps C4D ?? or the new Houdini line ?? and yes Maya is buggy as hell on Mac IMO.

TAVO
11-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Buy the system from apple and add the ram yourself, it is excellent price when you do it like that. I love when people go build a 40k machine from the apple website by adding components you have to be stupid to get from major brands and then scream how it is expensive.

Wait a minute...can you do that ?? i want to buy a mac these days and if you can put mor RAM by yourself that will be good. But what if i canīt do it myself ?? can eny tech guy do it ?? like if it was a PC ??

cresshead
11-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Wait a minute...can you do that ?? i want to buy a mac these days and if you can put mor RAM by yourself that will be good. But what if i canīt do it myself ?? can eny tech guy do it ?? like if it was a PC ??

a 'mac' is a P.C....a mac just has an efi chip instead of a bios chip.

upgrading ram, hard drives and video cards is a simple as pie in a mac pro
just search for some youtube vids which will show you just HOW easy it is.

TAVO
11-06-2008, 08:08 PM
search for some youtube vids which will show you just HOW easy it is.

Never thought about it, i will look for them........

mental
11-06-2008, 08:14 PM
$2400 from crucial.com
$1950 for Kingston (http://forums.cgsociety.org/www.provantage.com/kingston-technology-kta-mp800k2-8g%7E7KIN905E.htm)

$656 for 32GB of 667MHz FB-DIMM (http://shop.kingston.com/partsinfo.asp?promo=PRCGRBR&ktcpartno=KVR667D2Q8F5K2/8G) (not sure about compatibility with both new and old Mac Pros)

scrimski
11-06-2008, 09:24 PM
like if it was a PC ??
No, different. Open, plug, play. You don't even need a screwdriver.

Andy1010
11-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Well thank goodness they're going to finally remember us. I don't need a new machine, but I hope they update the Mac Pro line, tablet would be nice in the laptops too, but I really want to see some updates on the software side, Logic Pro, Final Cut, Motion and of course the successor to Shake.

To be honest, I lost faith in the App department. The only one I now depend on is FCP. Adobe just has such tight integration, that their is not much need to leave, other than extensive video editing. Based on this chart http://images.macrumors.com/article/2008/11/05/154932-fy08rev.jpg

I don't think that apple is focusing on software and services as much as hardware, and ipods, and iphones.

Lone Deranger
11-06-2008, 10:52 PM
I see where you're coming from..... and I agree up to a point. But 46% year over year increase is nothing to sneeze at. It is in fact the area with the highest growth according to that chart. I don't think that will go unnoticed by the decision makers. Eventhough it's been a lack lustre year or so, don't lose faith just yet. :)

I don't think that apple is focusing on software and services as much as hardware, and ipods, and iphones.

Imhotep397
11-07-2008, 01:56 AM
...I don't think that apple is focusing on software and services as much as hardware, and ipods, and iphones.

Ultimately, that's the difference between Apple and every other hardware manufacturer, they are keenly aware of the fact that hardware cannot stand on it's own. Without killer software any piece of hardware is, for all intents and purposes, an expensive doorstop. I don't know how many millions of dollars were spent in there "Digital Lifestyle" software to make the Mac the best computer for connecting with consumer devices. That's why Apple acquired video editing IP from Macromedia and turned it into Final Cut and that's why they acquired Shake they knew that they were loosing ground in hardware sales, because of the lack of killer software in those areas. I suspect that they think they've been loosing ground in the areas they targetted as core interests for this fiscal year and they now have 25+Billion in the bank. If the past is any indication software acquisition(s) are in the cards...for which area at this point is uncertain.

cheebamonkey
11-07-2008, 04:35 PM
they'll update their iJunk for "creatives" since they've lost ground to Adobe over the past 2 years. They've tried to have the public drink their koolaid with regards to entertainment hardware over the past 3-5 years and now they want to shift gears? The sheep will wonder why their master, Apple, has forgotten them if Apple doesn't continue to put out 5 new flavors of ipods or iphones per year. Basically, groups of Apple fanboys will be upset over the next couple of years if they perceive Apple is now ignoring them.
Good on Apple for trying to focus their attention elsewhere, but I think it may be a little too late. At this point I could care less about a Shake successor. There's already great apps out there like Nuke and Fusion. FCP.. it's nice, but Premiere is really starting to shine thanks to Adobe's dedication to their software (unlike Apple). Motion.. really? AFX thanks. Color is pretty nice too. It's a toss up as to what Apple can really do next to try to pull in more consumers to their apps. I'd say continue to make their entertainment gear which is what they're focused on now, sell some hardware, update their OS and eventually sell it to other integrators like Dell. Their smarmy ads net them more new customers then their software anyways.

Lone Deranger
11-07-2008, 06:32 PM
If you want that sentence to make sense, the saying actually goes that you couldn't care less.

At this point I could care less about a Shake successor.

cresshead
11-07-2008, 07:20 PM
maybe apple will enter the 3d area soon and buy a top line 3d app that already runs on osx?

Lone Deranger
11-07-2008, 07:24 PM
I've always seen modo as the prime candidate for such a strategy. Luxology ticks all the right boxes with Apple...

maybe apple will enter the 3d area soon and buy a top line 3d app that already runs on osx?

RobertoOrtiz
11-07-2008, 07:28 PM

I has been widely reported that Apple had a chance to buy Softimage, and decided to decline the offer.

It is true that Soft does not run on OSX, but come on...

-R

cresshead
11-07-2008, 10:14 PM
I has been widely reported that Apple had a chance to buy Softimage, and decided to decline the offer.

-R

well softimage xsi is quite an old app compared to modo and may not have been worth porting to osx whereas modo was bult with osx and WHERE osx is heading in mind.

not saying that lux are willing/ready to sell but they may have already shown apple where their app is heading so apple could see them [luxology] as the longterm best bet.

or pixar may just throw out a commercial app for animation/modeling/rendering
i3d anyone?

BookMansBlues
11-07-2008, 10:43 PM
well softimage xsi is quite an old app compared to modo and may not have been worth porting to osx whereas modo was bult with osx and WHERE osx is heading in mind.

not saying that lux are willing/ready to sell but they may have already shown apple where their app is heading so apple could see them [luxology] as the longterm best bet.

or pixar may just throw out a commercial app for animation/modeling/rendering
i3d anyone?

I had heard some where that was there origional busines plan, but then they go caught with thier pants down when apple didn't bite. That could have been rumor or speculation, However it does make sence considering thier dev path thus far.

At this point If it came down to it I would rather NT sell off Lightwave to someone like apple or somone else willing to put the nessisary money into to make it better than it's been. Modo seems to be doing ok on it's own path, so unless they are having massive cash issues selling it would probably be a bad idea IMHO.

Imhotep397
11-08-2008, 02:21 AM

-R

This just seems like wild speculation as Soft, even when they were doing well, never thought twice about developing for Apple I can't really see them reaching out to Apple and Apple put Avid in the precarious pickle that it's in now, so I can't see them approaching Apple either. More importantly, right around the time when MS sold off SoftImage they did a major rewrite which saw XSI written in a heavily Windows centric object oriented language making porting it to OS X almost as difficult if not more difficult than porting Max to OS X. If an Apple acquisition conversation did take place the code base and the headache of a complete rewrite, for a company that has already seen it's best days and is fighting for scraps in comparison to Maya and Max probably didn't make sense, I wouldn't make the deal if I was Apple. Apple likes to be #1 in whatever area they go into and acquiring SoftImage, by itself, would have represented a huge and difficult uphill battle in development and in the market from day one.

I've heard similar "Rumors" about Apple possibly acquiring Alias from SGI, well before they were sold off. I don't know that I believe any of it.

Lone Deranger
11-08-2008, 02:28 AM
Out of interest, have you any links?

harkyman
11-10-2008, 05:01 PM
If Apple wants a 3D app, they should hire someone like me to manage an Aqua-fied fork of Blender, kicked up to Apple's interface standards. You reading this, Jobs?

cresshead
11-10-2008, 06:03 PM
If Apple wants a 3D app, they should hire someone like me to manage an Aqua-fied fork of Blender, kicked up to Apple's interface standards. You reading this, Jobs?

but that would be a free open source app yeh?
doesn't fit well into their business plan...ie making money!

still i think modo is best bet unless autodesk wants to get rid of maya to apple

KayosIII
11-11-2008, 02:57 AM
but that would be a free open source app yeh?
doesn't fit well into their business plan...ie making money!

still i think modo is best bet unless autodesk wants to get rid of maya to apple

To sell Hardware :p an aquified blender wouldn't be very useful on other platforms now would it.

dmeyer
11-11-2008, 03:55 AM

Unlikely until the new Nehalam-based Xeons come out, considering there isn't anything on the market for them to upgrade to. MacWorld at the soonest. More likely WWDC.

CGTalk Moderation
11-11-2008, 03:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.