PDA

View Full Version : The Guerrilla CG Project - super high caliber free training

andrewsilke
11-06-2008, 08:07 AM
Hi everyone, here's a brand new website you might be interested in...

The Guerrilla CG Project
www.GuerrillaCG.org (http://www.GuerrillaCG.org)

It's a non-profit training initiative called The Guerrilla CG Project, a website dedicated to teaching computer graphics for free with super quality videos. So far we have about 40 minutes of some of the highest caliber 3d training around, and it's 100% free, the videos even have sound effects! The reason we can make the videos with such high quality is because we're focusing on the fundamental concepts behind what we do, and they don't really change. Whilst we're concentrating on 3d modelling and entry level videos to start with, we're hoping to create more advanced videos and cover a range of areas as the site expands. Hopefully we can keep it growing with the help of people like you.

We think it could have a massive amount of potential. So far a bunch of people have been super excited and come on board. Would you like to participate? If so let us know.

It's in alpha stage so I'd love to hear feedback, what works, what doesn't.

Best vids to watch are:

Primitives (http://www.guerrillacg.org/home/3d-polygon-modeling/primitives) by myself (http://www.guerrillacg.org/presenters/andrew-silke)

Subdivision Topology Artifacts (http://www.guerrillacg.org/home/3d-polygon-modeling/subdivision-topology-artifacts) by Greg Petchkovsky (http://www.guerrillacg.org/presenters/greg-petchkovsky)

Hierarchies: Building a Robot (http://www.guerrillacg.org/home/3d-rigging/hierarchy-building-a-robot) by myself (http://www.guerrillacg.org/presenters/andrew-silke)

enjoy
- Andrew

http://www.guerrillacg.org/images/stories/artistGalleries/andrewsilke/gorillaIntro01_v13_tweaked.jpg (http://www.guerrillacg.org)

vfx
11-06-2008, 08:21 AM
Your first link just redirects to CGTalk.

Let me be the first to say that these videos are great!! What lovely quality, nice easy web interface and excellent back to basics information.. Look forward to the concepts in other software packages too.. when can we expect those?

Also, as this is all free, any chance of adding download links.. so they can be referenced if necessary offline?

Also I'd love to see a video on how you got that lovely guerrilla hair! :P

bardur
11-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Thats one sweet website.. and idea :)
and its really appreciated. :bowdown:
Something like that is a goldmine for beginners and others too.
looking forward to what is to come :drool:

Regards
Bardur M

robozyt
11-06-2008, 10:09 AM
Also I'd love to see a video on how you got that lovely guerrilla hair! :P

I second that, you just have to love that gorilla!
Congrats to the website, looks very promising.

PaulAdams
11-06-2008, 10:29 AM
Slick is the word here, I feel.

DDS
11-06-2008, 10:47 AM
holy moly!! I love your style!!! :beer:

the sound effects are incredible! Music matches perfectly. Frontpage NOW, show these Gnomon how expensive they are...

AsaMovshovitz
11-06-2008, 01:30 PM
They are great videos, very well presented,

Asa

glenmoyes
11-06-2008, 01:40 PM
Yes, I'm really excited about this project. I love the idea of concept videos and being able to quickly and clearly teach those ideas, and then show how to do it in the software separately. It makes creating video tutorials on learning CG a lot more efficient because you can use the same concept videos to teach people how to use Maya, XSI, Blender, and so on.

I can't wait to see (and make) more. :)

DJ-Nicke
11-06-2008, 01:47 PM
This website is an amazing achievement!

The tutorials are extremely well made and the information is precise and deadly accurate.

I've been in this industry for over 12 years including much teaching experience, and the lessons you have for free on this site put to shame any teaching I have ever come across.

5 stars!

Leonard
11-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Very cool stuff Andrew! :)

Congratulations and keep it up.

Best regards,

Leo

Leionaaad
11-06-2008, 02:50 PM
Man! What happened to Baz made me your fan, or something. I am confident nothing but good work comes out of your hands.
I couldn't see the site yet, as soon as I get home...

As a suggestion: we (in this industry) are usually stressed with time. I would like to see some videos about how to increase efficiency without giving up quality.

It is indeed a good start.

mxdirector
11-06-2008, 03:09 PM
i love the idea of free training, as a beginning its hard to really get proper training, unless you spend a load of money.
where were you two years ago???

i do like the site, but i feel its not colorful enough to compliment those intro videos (which are done very well). i think it could do with a bit more colour.

a few suggestions, i understand its early days.
1- it might be nice to have courses, in various areas of cg. low poly modelling, zbrush, rigging..etc.
2- project series. someone taking you through the complete creation of a model (which im sure is going to happen).
3- might be nice to have some class scheme, so you get work along with others. maybe every month a new class will start, and you would be given projects, and deadlines.

i have bookmarked the site, and look froward to what you do next.

danielmd
11-06-2008, 03:15 PM
Very cool!

Love the educational edge of the videos, wish they where a bit longer, or an for an easier way to view them one after the other.

Excellent job, keep it up, hope the site will flourish in the next months, and a year from now a huge library of excellent quality videos will be available to all. Kudos!

RoninCGT
11-06-2008, 04:05 PM
I agree with all the good comments above, and will add that these are the the first video tutorials that didn't put me asleep.

Great job coming up with these ideas.

Zoober
11-06-2008, 05:30 PM
Site looks great so far!

BColbourn
11-06-2008, 05:35 PM
great site, just went into my favorites folder :)

criminal
11-06-2008, 06:11 PM
all this for free?!! this is amazing!!

ha-dou-ken
11-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Congratulations on this effort.It's so great and the style is friendly for novices to not feel intimated by the more abstract concepts such as smoothing.

Canadianboy
11-06-2008, 06:22 PM
keep up the great work!

iskon
11-06-2008, 06:24 PM
This is fantastic!

Phrenzy84
11-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Great work.

I like the presenting style, although i am a little concerned in how long it takes to produce a video. If non-profit is the way forward for your site then it shouldn't matter/or be a problem. But im sure you dont want to prolong training releases.
Personally i would love to see some shader/renderman/mantra tutorials. Hope you get more people to help out.

edit:// and i think you should limit yourself to how many time that theme music is played during a video. I just watched the subdivision artifacts movie and as each section continued that music kept drumming in my head. I think it could get old very quickly.

Jelo
11-06-2008, 07:10 PM
I only watched the "Topology" video but I was
very impressed by it's pedagogic presentation.

GREAT! work guys.

abonora
11-06-2008, 07:19 PM
dude!!! :)
really cool that you got the site up already

makes me want to re-learn 3d from scratch
the presentation and quality of the tutorials is just ace!

congrats!!

shakii
11-06-2008, 07:30 PM
Wonderful job you guys have started! What a great contribution to the community.. :)!!

Angroc
11-06-2008, 07:30 PM
this looks interesting. I'll bookmark it and keep an eye on it. ;)

Trybal
11-06-2008, 07:37 PM
I registered and watched every video. Good job. They're all easy to watch, because they get right to the point without needless filler or explanations. I'll be looking forward to future tutorials. :wavey: :cool: :beer:

Fumetsu
11-06-2008, 07:41 PM
This is awesome.The instruction is very clear and the videos are of extremely high quality.

jdtiX
11-06-2008, 08:14 PM
I WOL'd (Wowed out loud) :p

That is very impressive. Hits the fundamentals so precise, and so easy to understand! Even if you did charge, it would be well worth it.

Sandr0
11-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Just finished watching topology video and it was really fresh and so different from other training materials available - very clear and neat presentation, gets straight to the point and just pleasure to watch..

Can't wait to check other vids too. Good job - I'm sure this project is going to become popular in no time :)

LS Knight
11-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Seriously, thank you. I'll be digging in to this shorty.

Very cool!

Intervain
11-06-2008, 08:47 PM
Just finished watching topology video and it was really fresh and so different from other training materials available - very clear and neat presentation, gets straight to the point and just pleasure to watch..

QFA! Great initiative and presentation :) :lightbulb

Grgeon
11-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Great stuff! thanks Andrew and company!

-GC

Izuael
11-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Awesome initiative, love the fun way to present it, makes it so easy to understand.
This is a keeper. :thumbsup:

etobler
11-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Very well done! If I can make a suggestion, two areas of cg that were very difficult for me when starting out were rendering and uv's. Videos describing scanline vs raytracing, final gathering, photon mapping, sub surface scattering, displacement mapping, and other rendering tech would be very helpful.

Thanx for the incredible effort!!

bala2007
11-06-2008, 09:27 PM
This is next-gen video tutoring. Keep it up.

loocas
11-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Nice! Very nice! :thumbsup:

I love the way the videos are presented, top notch quality and a unique style! :buttrock:

handlebar
11-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Fantastic quality and style, it's great to see people shareing knowledge in such a way, good luck with the site.

LeFaquin
11-07-2008, 12:05 AM
Superb ! Video editing is excellent, and the videos are fun to watch ! Sadly, fun is a thing we don't have too often when looking at tutorials.

Edit : This site is now officially bookmarked. Thank you very much.

streetsy
11-07-2008, 02:17 AM
Awesome.
I'm sure this project will do well. :)

Aldarion
11-07-2008, 02:24 AM
Awesome. Going to recommend this to the whole 3d animation course here at University of Hertfordshire, should help people beginning with 3d a lot.
Keep it up guys, it's presented perfectly.

keenerbean
11-07-2008, 03:21 AM
Hey hey, Christmas came early! I will be referring a lot of my 2D friends to this site to pull them into the 3rd dimension. Super slick, concise and totally easy to follow. As someone mentioned before, I hope these aren't too arduous to produce. Do you have some custom tools for all those morphs and line flow changes? What ARE you using to produce these vids?
I agree a UVing one should be top of the list. I remember it taking me some time to fully grasp that concept and I'm sure you guys will make it seem like brushing your teeth.
You are to be commended for such selflessness. Keep it up!

cowtrix
11-07-2008, 04:06 AM
Would you like to participate? If so let us know.

Yeah, sure. I really like this idea. Won't be able to do anything til next month, but I'd be interested in doing a tutorial for sure.

andrewsilke
11-07-2008, 04:17 AM
Ha! Cheers so much guys for the wonderful feedback. I've been working on this over the last year and at times I have wondered whether it was worth it, I guess that's the artist in me!

CG isn't brain surgery, and we're hoping that The GCG Project will show that it's far easier to do than people might think. CG is not really that complicated, well it doesn't have to be! :) We'd like to get people as pumped about this brilliant art form as we are.

The grim news is that without other contributors it's entirely possible that The GCG Project could easily die a quick death. I can only keep making tutorials for a couple more months and on average they take about 1 to 2 weeks to make, longer when I'm also building and moderating the site. The reality is it might be slow for a while, and the more people who participate the more we'll content we'll have. If you've ever thought that something could be taught better, and you have the time to do it, come on board, we need you!! Can I plug this anymore? Ha!

But really everyone thanks, it's appreciated. We have some cool stuff coming up. My next vid is on Gimbal Lock and Euler rotations so hopefully no one will have to be confused about it again. Greg wants to make another on Artistry and Reference, Glen has started one on explaining exactly how subDs work, and Jake is working hard on his human deformation for modelling and rigging. Down the bottom of the main page we have a Poll so you can vote on what we make next, at this stage it looks like I might make one on UVs in the near future.

I also want to say (bit of a rant) that the training material around the web is already incredible, the sheer amount of tutorials that are out there is amazing. The other day I was using Mental Ray for the first time (this is what happens when you become an animator) and I virtually taught myself how to use it from all of the free info around the web. Sometimes it's easy to forget when you are reading a free tutorial that some person somewhere has sat down and spent hours trying to explain something that they already know. We want to find a way of linking all the free content up, so it's not so overwhelming when you're learning.

The GCG Project isn't a replacement for professional training either, sites like Gnomon, Digital Tutors, Animation Mentor already cover so much content and do a brilliant job of it, it doesn't make financial sense for them to spend weeks creating a small amount of content with little financial reward. And it would be impossible for us to replicate. One of my students bought one of those 3d Buzz DVDs with like 40 hours of content, and although it was pretty laborious for him to watch he came back and started teaching me about modelling in Maya! And we also don't want to compete with a large community site like CG Society or 3dTotal either. They're already here, and they rock.

We at The GCG Project just want to give everyone a clear idea about what cg is really about, demystify it. Once it's obvious, the potential of this medium, we hope that more people and expertise will come to sites just like this one.

It'll be fantastic if we can keep The GCG Project growing, I know we can do it. And I have one last question for everyone...

Q. Who are the people who you would like to see make a video? Next week I'll be in recruitment mode, and I'll contact everyone who gets nominated to see if they're up for it.

We are also after sponsors, maybe prizes for the video makers. Cheers for all of the suggestions it's all noted, keep the feedback coming,
ta
-Andrew

compiava
11-07-2008, 04:22 AM
very nice page i like the idea the quality :-)
but in the off Site Page you made a mistake
Ecorche: Anatomy of the Arm & Shoulder
is from Ryan Kingslein and not from me ;)(Timur Ariman)

Jozvex
11-07-2008, 05:05 AM
The videos are great, it's a fantastic idea! :thumbsup:

Having them in small bite sized pieces is a very good way to go I think.

pOiNtPuShEr
11-07-2008, 05:38 AM
FANTASTIC PRESENTATION!!! The sounds and visual overlays help the material "stick" so well. Great work!!!

sinolacra
11-07-2008, 07:02 AM
Thank you mate, thank you.

=LuxX=
11-07-2008, 07:37 AM
realy great, i just love the way of explaining.

only one small detail.. ( or i could be wrong ) in the movie Objects your talking about a plane with 100 triangels.. only i count 50 ;)

boomji
11-07-2008, 07:44 AM
Slick
lucid
free

b

DimitrisLiatsos
11-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Simply, Bravo! :applause:

KarelVR
11-07-2008, 09:48 AM
Very nice ! That's a great approach to explaining things !

One tiny thing tho, as someone else mentioned before, after a couple of the vids the theme music doesn't work that great anymore...

The best of luck with the site!

carlw
11-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Awesome site.
I couldn't believe it when I started a video and this aussie voice comes on. I thought it would be American or something....refreshing to hear a familiar accent :D

Very cool!

juhada
11-07-2008, 11:50 AM
You guys. This is really nice of you.

Visor66
11-07-2008, 02:27 PM
congratz to you everyone involved! This is really professional in content and presentation. Really really good job! Keep it on that level! Whish you best luck!

Visor

DerPixelschubser
11-07-2008, 03:18 PM
I love this simple colorful basictutorials. A very nice way to explain how the most 3D tools work without showing overwhelming 3D Application UIs.

Gemini82
11-07-2008, 03:28 PM
Hats of to you Andrew. Good site

NolanSW
11-07-2008, 03:31 PM
This is wonderful Andrew. I will be a watcher and hopefully a contributer to the effort soon. What a great resource and having tutorials centeralized on one site that is user driven is exactly what this industry needs.

Fan-freakin-tastic! Bravo :applause:

-Sean

Neox
11-07-2008, 04:01 PM
i really like the project, great presentation, definitely done well, the videos you produced are really cool stuff :)

but on the other hand, i don't like it when someone calls me to tell me that my stuff is "on that new free learning site, congrats dude", i'm talking about the mudbox video done by me a long time ago... i have no problems with you linking it, thanks for that but i'd like to know it before that happens ;)

so however could you guys change my Name from SEKNeox to Neox or my real name Steffen Unger, would be highly appreciated :)

thanks again

FrizzleFry0
11-07-2008, 04:33 PM
Great job with the videos guys! As a teacher and vfx artist, I commend you for really making a unique presentation. The presentation style really makes the videos entertaining and easy to watch. I can imagine you must go through a lot of planning to make sure the video matches the audio. Keep up the great work! I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this site. :applause:

jogarbel
11-07-2008, 04:58 PM
I love this tutorials. Are visual and very good explained. I follow this web. Congratulations. The gorilla is great :beer:

ailu
11-08-2008, 04:18 AM
Lovely, this is how knowledge should flow. From you who know to who want´s too know. Best I have seen so far.. Keep it up, hope too be of use to contribute one day!

edit:too and who, english is hard on occasion..

derMarkus
11-08-2008, 08:20 AM
Really nice! I'd loved to have such a clear explanation in the beginning. Keep it up!

BTW, if you guys like extraordinary-styled Videotutorials, take a look at some videos that made up the diploma of a good friend from mine at http://www.mparchettka.com/?page_id=31 . They where also shown at Siggraph2008. There's only a german version for now, but they are with english subtitles.

e-moo
11-10-2008, 03:53 AM
that subdivision artefact video helped me a lot! :D

swinburne
11-10-2008, 08:41 AM
As someone who has made enough video tutorials to last a life time for my students, your tutes stopped me in my tracks. They are really good guys, and I can definitely appreciate the efforts that have gone into creating them.
A big well done, and I hope it all goes very well with lots of contributors.

I'd love to give it a shot, and convert what I have (please see signature) into something non program specific and incorporate the production values on display with those initial tutorials.

cheers
Steven.

andrewsilke
11-10-2008, 09:38 AM
We've had a few site issues, they should be resolved now, phew! Thanks again for the comments, the gorilla was made in Maya and the fur is Shave and Haircut by Joe Alter, big thanks to him for supplying a license for us. The gorilla is fully rigged but i haven't got around to texturing his hands and feet yet. I'll post him in the finished work section when he's done.

Steffen, sorry I didn't have the time to email you when i was putting up those software tutes, great work btw. Also if you don't want people embedding your youtube vids there is a switch in youtube, otherwise, so far as I know, anyone is welcome to embed them?

I know the drum music can get a little boring too, we'll see what we can do about that.

Markus, your friends teaching videos rock! And I thought our videos had some time put into them, that's just nuts, I learned a couple of things too, though the maths does my head in.

And Steven great tutes, and love the aussie accent, ha! Just send me an email and we'll hook you up to the contributor section on the site.

cheers
-Andrew

Bucket
11-10-2008, 03:01 PM
You should have a tutorial on how to make the gorilla. From start to finish. Model, texture, rig, and animate. (I know that is wishful thinking) But other than that. The presentation is very strong. In fact I dare say these are the best generalized 3d tutorials I've ever seen. The quality of the videos raises the bar on 3d video tutorials. I hope you are able to maintain this level of quality in all your videos. Hopefully this will force others to raise the quality of the presentation in their video tutorials.

Neox
11-10-2008, 07:34 PM
thank you for the name change :)

and as said i don't have a problem with someone linking it, but you're not someone and the project is not just something, thanks again and keep up the good work

MrPositive
11-10-2008, 10:34 PM
These videos are actually making me rethink how I teach beginners, and that doesn't happen too often. You've made a difference. Bravo! Please don't stop!

SergeantOreo
11-11-2008, 01:19 AM
Wow, these look really good. I'll look forward to watching some of the videos later tonight.
Thanks Andrew!

Abraham
11-11-2008, 06:58 AM
Thank you very much, very, very nice indeed :)

J-L

Irandy12
11-11-2008, 01:35 PM
only 3d tutorials?

Shurikenji
11-11-2008, 06:18 PM
great idea
Thank You ! appreciated.

we can help! i will send you an email..

keep up the good work guys! :beer:

:wavey:

Gadzooks
11-13-2008, 12:16 PM
Really nice and free as well. Thanks guys

socrattes
11-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Great works guys!

chillyche
11-14-2008, 06:28 AM
I haven't even watched the videos yet, I'm about to. But I have spent several years a guerrilla media mentor, and I wanted to say that it's great to see people with talent willing to give back to community. It's fun and rewarding to share knowledge and skills, but it's not easy, and it is time consuming, so I really appreciate all you are doing and plan to do. Vive los guerrillas.

Shenan
11-19-2008, 12:27 AM
Andrew, thanks for this site, I'm going to check it all out when I have a chance.

Is there a way to request that this thread be moved to the General Discussion forum so that it doesn't get buried into oblivion in CG News? I already had a hard time finding it again today. I couldn't find anything when I searched for guerillacg, gorillacg, etc. I thought the thread had been deleted or something. Finally got it by searching for gorilla or guerrilla cg. lol.

Neox, I think maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but for clarification, once you post something to Youtube, you basically give anyone and everyone the permission to link to those videos on Youtube, whenever they want, without asking you. Here's the relevant part of the terms of service (from http://www.youtube.com/t/terms):

You also hereby grant each user of the YouTube Website a non-exclusive license to access your User Submissions through the Website, and to use, reproduce, distribute, display and perform such User Submissions as permitted through the functionality of the Website and under these Terms of Service.
I'm not complaining, but just saying that if you don't like or agree with that policy, you should maybe consider pulling your videos from Youtube. I hope you don't though.

Cheers

CGTalk Moderation
11-19-2008, 12:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.